Author Topic: iTunes Match  (Read 6695 times)

klh

Any thoughts on iTunes Match? Now that it supports 100k tracks I'm thinking about it, mostly as a way to get all my 128kb tracks upgraded.

My #1 concern is that it somehow trashes my existing tracks, I'd read about the apple music flaw.

I'm thinking of just pulling my low bitrate stuff into a separate iTunes library, let everything get matched/updated, drop the subscription and then merge with my regular library.

Has anyone successfully used iTunes Match to update a large library?

Pingaware

I use Google Play instead - which is free. Just remember to convert them to 320kbps before uploading.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

cartman005

I've used iTunes Match to upgrade my library. I would recommend making a copy of your library and only importing the copy into iTunes. Let it all match and then delete your library and re-download the tracks that were matched. There is no point in downloading the ones that were uploaded.

The only issue that I have had is that I have a lot of rap music and some of the songs were matched with the clean versions instead of the explicit version. I wish there was a setting to specify which is preferred if there is a close match. But that is why I make a copy so I can go back to the original.

Pingaware

Agreed, you need to upload from a copy. It's also worth noting (at least with Google Play) if you don't get an initial match, try changing the tags on the copy to match the ones in the database. You can get a much higher upload rate like that

neFAST

I use Google Play instead - which is free. Just remember to convert them to 320kbps before uploading.
Did you "upscaled" your song to 320kbps then downloaded back a "real 320" version of them?

Pingaware

Did you "upscaled" your song to 320kbps then downloaded back a "real 320" version of them?

Yes, that's exactly what happens. Google Play can only read what the file properties say the bitrate is, even if that's a lie. It's own files are actual 320kbps which is great for improving the quality of your library. I've also used it to replace crackly vinyl files and old remasters that have been superceded with new ones (hello my Beatles files!).

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yes, that's exactly what happens. Google Play can only read what the file properties say the bitrate is, even if that's a lie. It's own files are actual 320kbps which is great for improving the quality of your library. I've also used it to replace crackly vinyl files and old remasters that have been superceded with new ones (hello my Beatles files!).

I'd love to try this with some of my "bad" 320 bitrate files.  Would you maybe post a how-to in a separate thread?  Much appreciated.  :)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Pingaware

I'd love to try this with some of my "bad" 320 bitrate files.  Would you maybe post a how-to in a separate thread?  Much appreciated.  :)

It'll have to wait a while as I can't justify procrastination from revision for too long, but I'll try and get it up sometime this month.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It'll have to wait a while as I can't justify procrastination from revision for too long, but I'll try and get it up sometime this month.

Understood.  :)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)