Author Topic: .m4a publisher tags  (Read 4018 times)

sleepless

Sorry, I'm not so knowledgable about tagging. It seems .m4a files are tagged differently than .mp3's. MB recognizes most of these (artist. album etc...) but not others. For example, the publisher tag code is "labl" and is not displayed anywhere the publisher field is requested. Does this mean I have to create a "publisher" tag for these files even though the publisher info is entered under the labl tag?

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8878 P
It seems .m4a files are tagged differently than .mp3's.
And Apple has never documented the list of tags of use in iTunes, so working out those codes is pretty hard.

Two options:
1/.
As "publisher" is standard tag in MB, posting a Wishlist request for Steven to add mpeg="labl" to the "Publisher" tag

2/.(use at your own risk)
Edit your Configuration.xml file in the MB installation folder by adding (alphabetically) into the list of <CustomTags>
Code
<Tag id="Publisher" id3v23="TPUB" id3v24="TPUB" wma="WM/Publisher" vorbisComments="ORGANIZATION" mpeg="labl" ape2="Organization" /> 
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

sleepless

Thanks. I tried your second suggestion. Now the labl tag has "publisher" as a name, but the tag info is still not displayed in the publisher field/columns, which is the purpose for doing this. Is there something I'm missing?

Bee-liever

Have you done a rescan on those files?

If you have than it looks like option #1 is the only way to go.

redwing

Why not create a custom tag with that labl tag, and after populating that tag values copy them to publisher tag using Additional Tagging Tools plugin?

Bee-liever

Why not create a custom tag with that labl tag, and after populating that tag values copy them to publisher tag using Additional Tagging Tools plugin?

When you save a value to the Publisher tag on a mp4 file, MB is using PUBLISHER as the mpeg value.  As I said before iTunes is not very forthcoming with their values, so Steven probably didn't know the correct value and has just used the vorbisComments value instead.  Now we know the correct tag identifier that iTunes is using, it can be corrected.

redwing

When you save a value to the Publisher tag on a mp4 file, MB is using PUBLISHER as the mpeg value.  As I said before iTunes is not very forthcoming with their values, so Steven probably didn't know the correct value and has just used the vorbisComments value instead.  Now we know the correct tag identifier that iTunes is using, it can be corrected.

And are you sure that's the correct tag code iTunes is using for the tag?

These sites list a different tag code: "----:com.apple.iTunes:LABEL"

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Tag_Mapping
http://picard.musicbrainz.org/docs/mappings/

Bee-liever

These sites list a different tag code: "----:com.apple.iTunes:LABEL"

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Tag_Mapping
http://picard.musicbrainz.org/docs/mappings/
They are both referencing 'Label'
TPUB is interchangeable in ID3.2x for Publisher or Label so it often causes confusion for other tagging systems
If you look at the hydrogenaudio table you can see that Publisher and Label are two separate tags for vorbis comments.
Considering that a lot of iTunes tag identifiers are only 4 character lower case strings, and although sleepless hasn't explicitly said that the tracks have been purchased from iTunes, I think it's pretty reasonable to think "labl" is the correct identifier for Publisher".

Also note the qualifier on that hydrogenaudio page:
This page is under construction. Please do not rely on the content being accurate or trustworthy.

redwing

Yeah, when looking at the OP's screenshot, you may be right if that's from iTunes Store. I checked mine but none of them had the tag.

Steven

• Administrator
Thanks. I tried your second suggestion. Now the labl tag has "publisher" as a name, but the tag info is still not displayed in the publisher field/columns, which is the purpose for doing this. Is there something I'm missing?

http://s27.postimg.org/jepq139sv/Image_3.jpg
would you mind sending me a link to a zip of this file? I dont see labl as a recognised identifier in the MB code