Author Topic: "Sort artist" & "Sort album artists" fields  (Read 5039 times)

Ricky Roma

Hi,
I changed my Artist and Album Artist fields so that the description looks better on Squeezebox Touch...eg "Rod Stewart" instead of "Stewart, Rod".
I used the "Sort Artist" and "Sort album artist" fields with the value "Stewart, Rod" in order to keep this artist sorted under S. It now works great on Squeezebox Touch and appears in the order-

Sufjan Stevens
Rod Stewart
Stills

On MB, I've changed the Album Artist sort order on Library Explorer to  "Sort Album Artist/Year/Album" but old Rod is appearing under the R's for some reason -

Robinson, Smokey (haven't changed name order yet)
Rod Stewart
Rolling Stones

This should be pretty easy but I don't see where I'm going wrong? Anybody know a fix?

MB 2.5.5524

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Can you post a screenshot of the tag editor and/or tag inspector for one of the problem files, showing the relevant sort fields?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Ricky Roma

Here's the Tag(2) fields. First Tag tab has Artist and Album Artist set to Rod Stewart and u can see his placement in Library Explorer

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Library Explorer shows Album Artist, not Sort Album Artist.  That's probably the issue.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Ricky Roma

Ah, ok. I right clicked on that Album Artist  heading and it gave me an option to custom sort, which I did to "Sort Album Artist/Year/Album". I presumed that would over-ride the order in that column but it seems not?

Ok, I've now selected "Sort Album Artist" as a new heading. Stewart, Rod appears correctly in the "S" names.  Is there any way to makes it say Rod Stewart on the library explorer too? I thought Sort Album Artist was purely a field for ordering and not display, at least that's how the Squeezebox Touch views it?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Ok, I've now selected "Sort Album Artist" as a new heading. Stewart, Rod appears correctly in the "S" names.  Is there any way to makes it say Rod Stewart on the library explorer too? I thought Sort Album Artist was purely a field for ordering and not display, at least that's how the Squeezebox Touch views it?

In MB, that only works in the main panel (where you can specify a sort order that's not based on the columns shown).  I wish there was an option to apply sort order everywhere, but the request has been made before and Steven has declined.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Ricky Roma

Yes, I agree it would look nicer with that option. After all, there's no real reason to want "Stewart, Rod" displayed anywhere on the screen. It's only use is for hidden sorting.
Thanks again for your time  :-)