Author Topic: How to set a list of columns to be displayed universally in MB  (Read 5170 times)

Bradex

Say, for example, I set a list of columns to be displayed in the 'main player view' e.g. Title, Artist & Album. Now, when I switch from this view to the search view or to a playlist, the columns change so that I have to re-select my desired columns. Can I set a set of my desired columns to be displayed universally in MB (like in good old WMP)?

Alumni

I find that if you set up the columns you want in your original library filter (ie. no filter active) and/or in the Auto DJ node, that should apply the defaults elsewhere in MusicBee.
Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 08:28:11 AM by Alumni

redwing

Bradex

I went through the link provided and understood that there is no way to have universal column setting in MB. You have to set the desired columns separately for each node on the left navigation pane (library, playlists, computer, device). In addition, each node under library (such as Music, Podcasts, Audiobooks, Radio, Inbox, History, Search results) has its own set of columns. New static playlists (created by the user) and other auto-playlists (till they are not modified by the user) derive their settings from the ‘Auto DJ’ playlist.

I wish the developer adds a setting/preference in the next version so that a particular column setting can be applied 'universally' in MB.

Just one more query. If a user has modified the columns of an auto-playlist (such that it no longer derives its setting from Auto-DJ), is there any way to undo/reset it so that it will again reflect the settings of Auto DJ.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If you save a custom view configured the way you want, you can just apply that view to all your nodes & playlists to keep them in sync.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Bradex

Could you please explain how to create a custom view, and then how to apply it to the entire MB?

redwing

I wish the developer adds a setting/preference in the next version so that a particular column setting can be applied 'universally' in MB.

Why do you think podcast, radio and music nodes need the same column set? It won't be useful at all. What you are looking for is probably "default column set" for music related nodes, which is already supported.

Just one more query. If a user has modified the columns of an auto-playlist (such that it no longer derives its setting from Auto-DJ), is there any way to undo/reset it so that it will again reflect the settings of Auto DJ.

You could open the playlist file with text editor and remove from <Fields> to </Fields> block. But I'm not sure that would cover all cases, so make a backup before doing that.

Bradex

You could open the playlist file with text editor and remove from <Fields> to </Fields> block. But I'm not sure that would cover all cases, so make a backup before doing that.

That works!

Bradex

Where is the "default column set" for music related nodes located? Will changing it affect all the playlists under the 'playlist' node and 'music' under the 'library' node?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Could you please explain how to create a custom view, and then how to apply it to the entire MB?

Are you on 2.5 or 3.0?  I suggest updating to 3.0 for this (the same options are available in 2.5 but they're in the configure layout menu).

Here's where you save your view:

You can apply it to any node or playlist on the fly, but for playlists, I suggest editing the playlist settings and applying it there.

Editing library filters and static playlists works pretty much the same.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)