Author Topic: Customizing the Genre field list.  (Read 1602 times)

Continuum

I don't have a large music library so I have them all sorted out into Genre's like 'Albums', Compilations', 'EP's, 'Soundtracks', etc to make them easier to search through. I wanted to have 'Instrumentals' appear in my genre section but to do this I duplicated my songs that were instrumentals and put them in their own folder, set their genre to Instrumentals and add them to my library for them to show but I was wondering if there's a way to do this without duplicating the files on my computer.

Is there anyway to tell MusicBee that if a certain word like "(Instrumental)" appears in the file name or song title to make it appear in the genre list as Instrumentals?

theta_wave

Create a virtualtag under any name of your choice under Options > Tag (1) > Define New Tags.  Then enter the following formula:

$If($Contains(<Title>,"(Instrumental)")="T",Instrumental,<Genre>)

What this formula does: If <Title> contains "(Instrumental)", then display the term "Instrumental", else display value of <Genre>

Then back to your main view, add the virtualtag as a "Displayed Field"

See http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Functions for more ways to modify how fields are displayed.
Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 12:59:06 AM by ssri

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You can also have more than one value in Genre.  You can add a value without chasing the existing values using the Tag inspector.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)