Author Topic: Best config for multiple windows machines to NAS setup  (Read 1705 times)

RiffRaff

Apologies if this advice has been given before, but I've searched but could not find an answer. I've got 3 windows PCs/tablets with all of my music stored on a NAS. Just wondering the best way to use MB in this scenario. If I want to be able to access and play music from all 3 machines, what's the best way to set up MB? Re-locate the MB library/config folder on the NAS so that it can be accessed and shared by all 3 machines?

If so, could 2 machines access MB and play music at once?

Many thanks.
Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 05:16:03 PM by RiffRaff

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It's a bad idea to try to run MB from the same installation on more than one computer at once - can lead to the MB database being corrupted.  I think the best approach would be to keep the music files (and maybe playlists) on the NAS, and install MB separately on each machine.  If you put playlists on the NAS, you'll have to change the playlist path in settings.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Alumni

I agree with psychoadept, however it should be safe to share the same library playlist folder, that's what I've done in the past.
A little trick is to create a symbolic link for the playlist folder to the NAS, so that your MusicBee library location can remain on the local PC.