Author Topic: How Shuffle Works  (Read 3775 times)

Reathonax

Hi, I have been using MusicBee for a while now and I've been wondering how the shuffle feature sorts the next random song. I have a very long playlist with over 2000 songs on it and yet I'm sometimes hearing the same song quite frequently considering the size of the playlist.
I understand it may just be my brain making connections when its actually random, but I just want to know how it works to keep me from going insane.

P.S. Is Auto DJ an alternative to shuffle that doesn't have these problems?

Thanks

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Welcome to the forum!

I suggest using auto-dj with a rule relating to either the last played date or the play count.  The trouble with shuffling long lists is that mb forgets what part of the list it has played between sessions.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

jaewaldt

I'm a new user but have been favorably impressed with auto-dj.  I do not know what the algorithm is that it uses to select artists.  The only negative is that it does play some artists back to back with every group that is loaded.

BeeBeeKing

You can control the playing of same artists in auto dj, by setting the interval between the same artist playing. Look under restrictions in Auto dj under playlists (in 2.5 at least)