Author Topic: Transferring music: PC to PC  (Read 2350 times)

SomethingElse

What is the best way for me to move music from one computer (from iTunes) to another (MusicBee)? Or can I transfer from my iPod Classic 7th gen to MusicBee? I would like all my ratings to stay the same, that's it on that part. Let me know, just looking for an iTunes replacement.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!  Test to be sure, but as long as I times saves the ratings to tags, you shouldn't have to do anything special, just move the music files.  (To make MusicBee save ratings to files, look in Tags (1) preferences.)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

SomethingElse

So just copy and paste into an external hard drive, or should I have iTunes make a backup file and move that to MusicBee?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It never hurts to have a backup of your iTunes library (and I strongly suggest making regular backups in MB), but you shouldn't need to mess with iTunes for the transfer.  Just move your files, then add them to MusicBee and see if the ratings show up.  If they don't, there's a guide around somewhere that involves making playlists by rating so you can quickly re-rate them after the move.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

SomethingElse

Hi, welcome to the forum!  Test to be sure, but as long as I times saves the ratings to tags, you shouldn't have to do anything special, just move the music files.  (To make MusicBee save ratings to files, look in Tags (1) preferences.)

How do I ensure that iTunes' ratings are in tag form?

nazz

sorry that's not an answer but about a subject "Transferring music: PC to PC"...

my installation and use of my music with MusicBee is Year by Year, Types (Blues, Ethnic, Jazz, Classical, aso)... about 50 collections... i wish to transfer the names and settings of this collections from my "big" PC to a Portable PC... I tried to copy the folder "Music" in the folder "Music" of the Portable but it does works... Is there someone here to help me ? thank's...