Author Topic: Split artist tags  (Read 2210 times)

supercamaron

Hi to everyone. New to Musicbee and well impressed.

I've been enjoying the possibility of splitting the "artist" tags. In the editor, the original one is called "display artist" but it doesn't get displayed at all. So for instance "Karajan -Berlin Philharmonic" gets split into "Karajan" and "Berlin Philharmonic". Is there a way to display the original "Karajan -Berlin Philharmonic"?

Thanks very much in advance

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If you're using the multiple artist splitter, it should leave the display artist the same and show it in the editor window.  Can you provide a screenshot of where it's going wrong?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

supercamaron

Thanks for quick response.

Sorry, maybe I didn't explain myself. The full artist name gets displayed in the editor, but not in the player. In the artist column in the player all you get is the individual split parts of the original compound artist tag, if that makes sense.

The actual problem here is that my main system is Linux, where I use other player/organizer. Now all original artists tags have disappeared and ONLY one of the split tags appear in the artists field....

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Thanks for quick response.

Sorry, maybe I didn't explain myself. The full artist name gets displayed in the editor, but not in the player. In the artist column in the player all you get is the individual split parts of the original compound artist tag, if that makes sense.

The actual problem here is that my main system is Linux, where I use other player/organizer. Now all original artists tags have disappeared and ONLY one of the split tags appear in the artists field....

Well, if your other player hasn't messed it up, you can change the player scroll in Preferences > Now Playing.  Just change <Artist> to <Display Artist>.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

supercamaron

Thanks for your patience.

I need to be more careful with the terminology. I mean the Artist column in the Column Browser. Is there a way to switch between split tags and former, complete tags?

More importantly, I'm trying to find out what is the actual Artist tag once I split it. The original and compound one or the new split ones? My other player does not recognize the original tags anymore, although they obviously are in the files somewhere....

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Thanks for your patience.

I need to be more careful with the terminology. I mean the Artist column in the Column Browser. Is there a way to switch between split tags and former, complete tags?

More importantly, I'm trying to find out what is the actual Artist tag once I split it. The original and compound one or the new split ones? My other player does not recognize the original tags anymore, although they obviously are in the files somewhere....

The Artist tag will be the split values (there will be multiple Artist tags, but other players may only display the first one, which sounds like is the case for you).  Display Artist is a special tag that MusicBee creates (and if you want to see that, you will need to change the column browser to show Display Artist - I don't think the thumbnail browser, which is very similar to the column browser, supports Display Artist either, so be sure which one you have).  Other players can access the Display Artist value IF they have any way to access non-standard tags.  I believe it shows up as TXXX/Display Artist.

Edit: I guess I'm wrong about Column Browser supporting Display Artist.  But you can configure it as a custom tag, if its important to you.
Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 11:33:40 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)