Author Topic: Organizing Exceptions: Comparing two tags?  (Read 2082 times)

ERICduhRED

Hi all! I'm extremely new to MusicBee, but I'm really digging it so far! I've found it does just about everything I need in a single application, but I have some edge-case scenarios that need solving. I hope I'm just overlooking something.

For example, in my Organize Library Files exceptions, for 'Various Artists' albums, I check if Album Artist is 'Various Artists' and then insert the track Artist at the end of the output filename. But let's say Artist A released an album where one track in particular is not by Artist A, but Artist B. The album might technically be 'Various Artists', but it's only one track. The rest of the album is by Artist A, and I would prefer to keep it as such, but I would still like to have Artist B in the filename of that specific track, the same way I would with a 'Various Artists' album (without having to list Artist A in the other tracks as well). If I could compare <Artist> and <Album Artist> I could solve this, but I'm not seeing the option.

Is there some way to compare two tags (say, <Artist> is not <Album Artist>) using the automatic library organization exceptions?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yes, this is possible.  I use some similar logic in my naming templates.  I think this will work for your case:

...<Title>$If(<Artist>=<Album Artist>,," [<Artist>]")

That will insert the Artist value at the end of the filename when it doesn't exactly match the Album Artist.  You should tweak it to fit your naming template, of course.  If you're tagging with multiple artists, you could insert the Guest Artist instead.  In that case, I would use:

$IsNull(<Artists: Guest>,," [<Artists: Guest>]")
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

ERICduhRED

Perfect! I didn't realize you could put code in there lol. Thank you so much, psychoadept!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Glad it worked!
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)