Author Topic: MusicBee now works under wine  (Read 85358 times)

username

if you are using just wine you can set up a keyboard shortcut that makes wine open the musicbee executable with a launch parameter like /play, idk what desktop enviroment you are using, but with xfce i can keyboard shortcuts by going into the configurations thingy.
all the parameters: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=6885.0
of course, the obvious huge disadvantage is that your media keys will be tied exclusively to musicbee.
hope this helps.
EDIT: oh, and btw, can you drag and drop albums or tracks to the playing tracks panel? i can't even change the order they are playing :/
Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 01:25:26 AM by username

sirprancelot

I've just updated to the latest version of musicbee on Wine for macosx.  It's all looking improved for me over samba network with the new option (since I last checked) to preload tunes.  I'm still fine tuning to see how well this is performing but if tests continue to go well I'll share the version I have (Musicbee 3.1.6590).  I did manage to get some visualisations working (Milkdrop looked cracking!) but I'm not sure if it causes conflicts having it included and since I can't get the app to go fullscreen so far... I don't see the need to keep them in.  The same issues are present from earlier version for the mostpart but if you are wanting to access files over the network via samba this is much improved.  Will report back when I get the chance.

@Lorenzo - I don't know if this will work for linux and I can't see from the screenshot whether your fonts are lacking anti-aliasing but one thing that made my version for mac looks SO much better was this:

winetricks settings fontsmooth=rgb
Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 12:49:44 AM by sirprancelot

Lorenzo

I might be late for the reply, sorry!
if you are using just wine you can set up a keyboard shortcut that makes wine open the musicbee executable with a launch parameter like /play, idk what desktop enviroment you are using, but with xfce i can keyboard shortcuts by going into the configurations thingy.
all the parameters: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=6885.0
of course, the obvious huge disadvantage is that your media keys will be tied exclusively to musicbee.
hope this helps.
EDIT: oh, and btw, can you drag and drop albums or tracks to the playing tracks panel? i can't even change the order they are playing :/
When I first posted I was using Cinnamon but now I switched to XFCE and multimedia keys are working as long as the primary window when I press keys is MusicBee. Looks like the problem was in Cinnamon. Anyway I can't drag&drog to the playing panel too, it will throw an error. The same goes for the order, nothing happens.
@Lorenzo - I don't know if this will work for linux and I can't see from the screenshot whether your fonts are lacking anti-aliasing but one thing that made my version for mac looks SO much better was this:

winetricks settings fontsmooth=rgb
Unfortunately that didn't help. The problem was mostly with simplified chinese characters, I don't remember exactly how because months have passed, but I somehow managed to make it reading a different chinese Windows font (simhei) instead of simsun in the settings of the wineprefix. Still not the best font, but better than the default one.

Anyway MusicBee 3.2 is out. Tried it but tracks are not playing... anyone having the same issue?
Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:59:09 AM by Lorenzo

gregsanz182

Anyway MusicBee 3.2 is out. Tried it but tracks are not playing... anyone having the same issue?

Yes, I have the same problem with version 3.2. the tracks are not playing.  :'(

Steven

• Administrator
I think its because the new bass.dll uses WASAPI shared mode in place DirectSound
Try this older version of bass.dll
http://www.mediafire.com/file/p45fe25ky1bz8xn/bass.dll/file

Lorenzo

I think its because the new bass.dll uses WASAPI shared mode in place DirectSound
That works, thanks!
Are there any negative sides in using an old version of bass.dll?

gregsanz182

Yes, it worked. Thank you man, you're awesome.  :)

Steven

• Administrator
With this version of MB, set the Preferences/Player/output selection to DirectSound and it will retain compatibility with the old DirectSound API using newer versions of bass.dll

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee32_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing MusicBee files

sveakul

Are there any negative sides in using an old version of bass.dll?

Well, you miss out on all the changes, improvements, and fixes that were made since the 2.4.12.x release.  Which is why it's a great thing that Steven released the new MusicBee 3.2 patch above that allows the newer versions of bass.dll to be used without any problems in MusicBee (THANKS!).  Below is a partial list of the changes made in the newer 2.4.13.x bass.dll, from the un4seen readme file:

2.4.13.8 - 6/2/2018
-------------------
* Indication of a file's original sample format being floating-point
 BASS_ORIGRES_FLOAT (BASS_CHANNELINFO/SAMPLE flag)
* Some extra sample data is retained to account for device latency in data retrieval
 BASS_ChannelGetData
* FFT window is shortened to match amount of available data when less than FFT size
 BASS_ChannelGetData
* FFT level adjusted to be approx the same regardless of amount of available data
 BASS_ChannelGetData
* Fix for crash when decoding channels are dissociated from a device
 BASS_NODEVICE (BASS_ChannelSetDevice option)

2.4.13 - 19/12/2017
-------------------
* WASAPI output on Windows (DirectSound is fallback/optional)
 BASS_DEVICE_DSOUND (BASS_Init flag)
 BASS_CONFIG_DEV_BUFFER/NONSTOP (BASS_SetConfig options)
 BASS_CONFIG_SRC/_SAMPLE (BASS_SetConfig options)
 BASS_ATTRIB_SRC/NORAMP (BASS_ChannelSetAttribute options)
* Default output device following support extended to Windows Vista and OSX
 BASS_CONFIG_DEV_DEFAULT (BASS_SetConfig option)
* Seamless playback buffer length changing
 BASS_ATTRIB_BUFFER (BASS_ChannelSetAttribute option)
 SYNTH example updated
* Access to the final output mix for applying DSP/FX
 STREAMPROC_DEVICE (BASS_StreamCreate option)
 BASS_CTYPE_STREAM_DEVICE
 FXTEST example updated
* Dissociating of decoding channels from a device
 BASS_NODEVICE (BASS_ChannelSetDevice option)
* Volume attribute levels above 1.0 for amplification
 BASS_ATTRIB_VOL (BASS_ChannelSetAttribute option)
* Logarithmic attribute slides
 BASS_SLIDE_LOG (BASS_ChannelSlideAttribute flag)
* Volume & panning attribute affected level retrieval
 BASS_LEVEL_VOLPAN (BASS_ChannelGetLevelEx flag)
* Volume level adjustment effect
 BASS_FX_VOLUME (BASS_ChannelSetFX type)
 BASS_FX_VOLUME_PARAM structure
* Asynchronous pre-buffering
 BASS_CONFIG_NET_PREBUF_WAIT (BASS_SetConfig option)
 BASS_StreamCreateURL/FileUser
 CONTEST and NETRADIO examples updated
* Decoding channels can be dissociated from a device
 BASS_ChannelSetDevice
* Resetting of user file streams/decoders
 BASS_POS_RESET (BASS_ChannelSetPosition flag)
* Relative seeking
 BASS_POS_RELATIVE (BASS_ChannelSetPosition flag)
* RIFF cue points chunk retrieval
 BASS_TAG_RIFF_CUE (BASS_ChannelGetTags type)
 TAG_CUE structure
* RIFF sample chunk retrieval
 BASS_TAG_RIFF_SMPL (BASS_ChannelGetTags type)
 TAG_SMPL structure
* Support for Category/Description/Grouping/Keywords/Lyrics MP4 tags
 BASS_TAG_MP4 (BASS_ChannelGetTags type)
* Separate channel type for dummy streams
 BASS_CTYPE_STREAM_DUMMY
* Stalled internet stream buffering progress retrieval
 BASS_FILEPOS_BUFFERING (BASS_StreamGetFilePosition mode)
 CONTEST and NETRADIO examples updated
* Playlist recursion depth config option
 BASS_CONFIG_NET_PLAYLIST_DEPTH (BASS_SetConfig options)
* Push file system read functions can now return 0 without ending the file
 STREAMFILE_BUFFERPUSH (BASS_StreamCreateFileUser system)
 FILEREADPROC
* 16 point SRC is used by default when SSE is available
 BASS_CONFIG_SRC (BASS_SetConfig option)
* Mono downmixing for all file formats in sample loading
 BASS_SAMPLE_MONO (BASS_SampleLoad flag)
* Mono OGG stream downmixing
 BASS_SAMPLE_MONO (BASS_StreamCreateFile/User/URL flag)
* Media Foundation availability detection
 BASS_CONFIG_MF_DISABLE (BASS_GetConfig option)
 PLUGINS example updated
* AudioTrack output on Android
 BASS_DEVICE_AUDIOTRACK (BASS_Init flag)
* Support for Android Media codecs
 BASS_StreamCreateFile/User/URL
 BASS_TAG_AM_MIME/NAME (BASS_ChannelGetTags type)
 BASS_CONFIG_AM_DISABLE (BASS_SetConfig option)
* Panning fix for MOD files created with ScreamTracker 3
 BASS_MusicLoad
* Fix for compressor and distotion DX8 effects with floating-point data on Windows
 BASS_FX_DX8_COMPRESSOR/DISTORTION (BASS_ChannelSetFX types)
* Fix for plugin freeing issue on 64-bit platforms (HPLUGIN is not library address any more)
 BASS_PluginLoad
 BASS_PluginFree

Elphaba

As I'm on macOS 10.13 can anyone please give me some pointers to getting this installed and working, especially given the fact I can't find / download WINE for macOS without having to download and pay for CrossOver (which I hate the UI for).

matze44

Hey, I'm running High Sierra (10.13.6) and after following the steps this error came up:

0065:err:process:__wine_kernel_init boot event wait timed out
0065:fixme:mscoree:parse_supported_runtime sku=L".NETFramework,Version=v4.0,Profile=Client" not implemented
0065:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"appSettings" in state 2
0065:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"add" in state 6
0065:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"loadFromRemoteSources" in state 4
0065:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"system.net" in state 2
0065:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"settings" in state 6
0065:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"httpWebRequest" in state 6
0065:err:mscoree:CLRRuntimeInfo_GetRuntimeHost Wine Mono is not installed

Terminal found an error: 0065:err:process:__wine_kernel_init boot event wait timed out
0065:fixme:mscoree:parse_supported_runtime sku=L".NETFramework,Version=v4.0,Profile=Client" not implemented
0065:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"appSettings" in state 2
0065:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"add" in state 6
0065:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"loadFromRemoteSources" in state 4
0065:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"system.net" in state 2
0065:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"settings" in state 6
0065:fixme:mscoree:ConfigFileHandler_startElement Unknown element L"httpWebRequest" in state 6
0065:err:mscoree:CLRRuntimeInfo_GetRuntimeHost Wine Mono is not installed (255)

should I delete everything and start over, how can I do it?

charliex3

Would be awesome if someone made Step-by-step tutorial with newest MacOS and Wine.
I recently moved to Mac so i have no idea how to do this stuff yet and I really hate using MusicBee through VirtualBox with Win10 on it, it's super slow and audio sometimes even stutter :/

Or even better if we had native support of MusicBee for Mac :D or at least some kind of beta.

Lorenzo

With this version of MB, set the Preferences/Player/output selection to DirectSound and it will retain compatibility with the old DirectSound API using newer versions of bass.dll

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee32_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing MusicBee files
This 100% works, thanks as always man ;)

farmerbobathan

MusicBee portable worked for me okay in wine 3.15 on Ubuntu 18.04 by only installing .net in winetricks. The tips in this thread made it work much better but I'm still getting stuck on one hangup, click and drag isn't working for me in MusicBee. Does anyone have any ideas to get click and drag working? Does it work for anyone else in wine?

Komagen

MusicBee runs great on Linux with Wine, and is super easy to install

As this is the Top Hit when searching for "MusicBee + Linux" I was kind of disappointed that I didn't find an easy to follow guide on how to install it under wine(for someone with very little wine/winetricks knowledge). Particularly when I found out how easy it actually was. So I'l post how I did it in April 2019.

First, some specs;
 Desktop Environment: KDE Plasma 5.15.3
 Kernel: 4.18.0-17-generic
 Wine: 4.5-staging
 Winetricks: 20180815
 MusicBee: 3.2-Update3 ('Setup', not 'Portable')

Note: Text following the '$' symbol is meant to be run in a terminal

Step 1: Download and extract the MusicBee installer

Step 2: Run the installer with wine. I recommend accepting to add a Desktop Icon so MusicBee becomes searchable from the launcher. You can delete the ~/Desktop/MusicBee.desktop file later anyway.
         $ wine  ~/Downloads/MusicBeeSetup_3_2_Update3.exe

Step 3: Install some DDL dependencies into the wineprefix
         $ winetricks -q dotnet45 mfc42 xmllite gdiplus d3dx9 vcrun2008 wmp10

If you try and launch MusicBee now you might get an error saying that "MusicBee does not run on WindowsVista/XP". If so, do step 4.

Step 4: Set the wineprefix's Windows version to Windows 7 or newer. Open the configuration tool by running;
         $ winecfg

That's it!
I'm no wine expert, but with the latest releases of wine it's become trivial to have MusicBee running in Linux, so I though I'd share for anyone else missing the best music player in the world in their new Linux home.