Author Topic: Email notifications are not sent since yesterday  (Read 12809 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
Here is the result on my not so scientific test of what I think is the issue...

In order to have the new PM notification popup on the new test forum, one must log out at the end of each session.  Upon logging in, if there is a new PM, the popup notification will pop up.  But the behavior is not the same in this, the soon-to-be-former forum.  Logging out and logging back in does not cause the popup to pop up.  That leads me to believe that the problem isn't necessarily with the upgrade to SFM 2.x.  It would be nice if this could be resolved.  Or at least determined if SMF is aware of this as an issue.  One should not have to log out and then back in in order to see the new PM popup notice.

I just did a very quick forum search on SMF and this thread might be close to solving the issue...
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=533118.msg3788703#msg3788703
There are many hits for "private message notification" and this is the first and only one I read.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

AvikB

the rejection reason is your email address: avikBdemo@(...you know the rest) does not exist

:P that was a dummy email, so that might cause it :S

AvikB

I never log out of the MB forum.  Nor the test forum.  If I log out, and then back in, I get the popup.  This was not the behavior with SFM 1.x.   Can someone please send me a test PM on both this forum and the test forum?  That should pretty much let me confirm the reason for no popups.
I don't think that is the case, atleast for me, I don't log out either, but i do recieve popup message on the demo forum,
I just visited the demo forum and i got one popup, so i highly doubt that is the problem.

But the behavior is not the same in this, the soon-to-be-former forum.  Logging out and logging back in does not cause the popup to pop up.  That leads me to believe that the problem isn't necessarily with the upgrade to SFM 2.x.  It would be nice if this could be resolved.  Or at least determined if SMF is aware of this as an issue.  One should not have to log out and then back in in order to see the new PM popup notice.
Unfortunately it is due to upgrade of the current forum.
For this current forum, popup may broken because of the javascript conflict or so. Also the new editor is broken(YUP!), and the messaging layout is messed up if you choose other layouts. And the CC, BCC suggestion is broken.
I don't think it is much of priority for me to fix this current forum, as fixing thing might break another thing :/
I am trying to get the new site up and running asap, but to be fair it is going to take a while, since designing a cms is complicated, i am taking my time to get it right.

and no it is not an SMF issue, as Arnator(one of the smf member) mentioned in few posts, this is because of the custom theme.

I just did a very quick forum search on SMF and this thread might be close to solving the issue...
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=533118.msg3788703#msg3788703
There are many hits for "private message notification" and this is the first and only one I read.
Unfortunately that answer is not the answer for our problem, as the op used some mod that i don't use in the demo forum, nor it is used here(i guess).
i did some searching too, but as i said i am not keen on fixing the issue on this current forum, since it could break other things,
As for the demo forum i do get popup notification every time someone pm me.

I am going to PM you in the demo forum, also can you mention what browser do you use? can you try chrome?
also pm me again i am going to try using Firefox this time.

AvikB

ok, thats weird , i just used firefox and i do receive pm in firefox.

it may be a issue at your end :/
maybe popup blocker or something.

phred

• Global Moderator
I am going to PM you in the demo forum, also can you mention what browser do you use? can you try chrome?
also pm me again i am going to try using Firefox this time.
First off, I'm not really concerned with the current forum and wouldn't want anyone to donate their time to correcting the issue since it will be short-lived.

I'm using the latest version of Firefox.  I also tried IE today with the same results.  If I log off the new forum and then log back in, I get the PM popup.  If I stay logged in, close the browser and reopen, I'm still logged in but there's no popup.  And no, I did not clear the initial popup.  If I then logout and log back in, the popup appears again. I just tried Chrome with the same behavior.

And it's not a popup blocker because if it was a) I wouldn't get -any- PM popup, and b) PM popups were present in SMF 1.x.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

AvikB

I'm using the latest version of Firefox.  I also tried IE today with the same results.  If I log off the new forum and then log back in, I get the PM popup. 
What happens when you don't log off but visit the demo forum after some time when you get another new pm, will the popup shows?

If I stay logged in, close the browser and reopen, I'm still logged in but there's no popup.  And no, I did not clear the initial popup.  If I then logout and log back in, the popup appears again. I just tried Chrome with the same behavior.
Yes, i can re-produce it, and i don't think it is a bug, in smf 2 this is how they handle notification.

This means you won't get popup for older pms, even if you didn't clear it. But if a new pm arrives then you will get a popup.

AvikB

another thing i want to ask, is the popup really necessary? I mean there is a counter at the top alreay, i don't see the reason of it. On the other hand they seem a bit obtrusive.On the current forum I do understand the need for the popup, as it can be easily missed but i don't think there is any need for it in the new forum.

OFC, if you like it, it's okay i won't blame you or remove it, Just asking. ;)
Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 12:07:50 AM by AvikB

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm using the latest version of Firefox.  I also tried IE today with the same results.  If I log off the new forum and then log back in, I get the PM popup. 
What happens when you don't log off but visit the demo forum after some time when you get another new pm, will the popup shows?
No, it doesn't.

If I stay logged in, close the browser and reopen, I'm still logged in but there's no popup.  And no, I did not clear the initial popup.  If I then logout and log back in, the popup appears again. I just tried Chrome with the same behavior.
Yes, i can re-produce it, and i don't think it is a bug, in smf 2 this is how they handle notification.

This means you won't get popup for older pms, even if you didn't clear it. But if a new pm arrives then you will get a popup.
[/quote]
That hasn't happened yet.  I do not get a PM popup notification for any unread PMs.  Old or new. 

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

AvikB

No, it doesn't.

That hasn't happened yet.  I do not get a PM popup notification for any unread PMs.  Old or new. 
[/quote]
Ok, i will upload a debug version to investigate the issue further.