Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 576312 times)

Skoop

So subtle that it mushes the white text making it less readable.

But that's just my taste.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Sorry if this is a duplicate comment, but...

that brown highlight is butt ugly.  

The icons indicate sticky or locked.  Do you really need the color overlay?  It's most unsightly.
+1

Me three.  I like hiccup's mockup, or maybe those colors could be reversed, more like Skoop's suggestion.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

It used to be possible to right-click this message header, and copy a link to it that you could use in another post.
That's doesn't seem to be possible anymore?

searching the forum:    method 1   ·   method 2   ·   method 3                            latest MusicBee patches:   here                            all virtual tag functions:   here

redwing

Why no responses from the OP? At least you can tell us when you will be available.
If you can't find time at all, then say so. We can look for a volunteer to fix this site.

Regarding home menu,

1. "Register" menu would better be located just next to "Login". It's not easy to find when you look for it.

2. Instead of Register, having "Wiki" & "Latest Patch" (that will jump to the Steven's first forum topic) menu in there would be more useful.

3. There's no current time being displayed. Like the previous site, consider displaying current time somewhere on homepage.

hiccup

Why no responses from the OP? At least you can tell us when you will be available.
If you can't find time at all, then say so. We can look for a volunteer to fix this site.

I find this quite a rude posting, and a very unfriendly choice of words towards AvikB.

AvikB has been doing an incredible amount of work on both the website and the forum for more then a year now.
Both the new website and the new forum are almost single-handedly his creation and his 'baby', so I also don't agree with the 'We' you are referring to.
Suggesting to replace him, because perhaps he is on a well deserved holiday or something?

Also I am not aware of urgent malfunctions that need to be 'fixed' quickly, so I don't see any urgency here.
searching the forum:    method 1   ·   method 2   ·   method 3                            latest MusicBee patches:   here                            all virtual tag functions:   here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I agree with hiccup.  Poor form, redwing.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

redwing

One more thing about homepage:

What's the intended meaning of the man sitting on the rocks? I don't know about others, but I don't really get the meaning of it.

What happened to the yellow speakers image before? Did Steven dislike it?

Personally I'd prefer it to the current one, and I think the image on the homepage should be something related to music.

phred

• Global Moderator
@redwing-

I have to agree with both hiccup and psychoadept. We -have- a volunteer to work on the redesign and it is AvikB. He did state (perhaps it was in the original redesign thread) that he would let things sit for a while and then make a final update. But that's mostly for visibility issues here in the forums. I think the website itself is complete and not going to change.

The redesign had been a topic of discussion for quite a long time. IIRC, the image on the home page changed many, many times, and everyone had someone negative to say about each one proposed. So it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Steven picked something and AvikB went with it.

Also, why does there have to be an "intended meaning" for the image? It's a nice image, and up until now, it was non-confrontational. FWIW, I look at it and see a person listening to music.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8878 P
What's the intended meaning of the man sitting on the rocks? I don't know about others, but I don't really get the meaning of it.

On this, I do agree with redwing.
A person sitting on the rocks in the wilderness would probably be good if your site was about camping goods, but it certainly doesn't even whisper music to me.

edit:
I just used google to search "music" images, filtered by "reuse with modification", and the very first image is a great his-res B&W image of some headphones. https://static.pexels.com/photos/30222/pexels-photo-30222.jpg
Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:20:51 AM by Bee-liever
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Havokdan

Someone answer me, I know how to send private messages on this layout, but so far I haven't found the Inbox of these messages, does anyone know where it is?

phred

• Global Moderator

On this, I do agree with redwing.
A person sitting on the rocks in the wilderness would probably be good if your site was about camping goods, but it certainly doesn't even whisper music to me.

edit:
I just used google to search "music" images, filtered by "reuse with modification", and the very first image is a great his-res B&W image of some headphones. https://static.pexels.com/photos/30222/pexels-photo-30222.jpg
We've been through this a ga-zillion times during the original discussion of what picture to use on the home page. Go back and read through the 75 pages and see how every suggestion for an image was met with a number of rejections for that image. (For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.)

This was (is) a project that attempted to be designed by consensus. Which never happened. I dropped out of that discussion because it was becoming circular. As were various discussions of the "correct" word to us. At some point, which no consensus taking hold, someone had to pull the trigger and make the decision.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

phred

• Global Moderator
Someone answer me, I know how to send private messages on this layout, but so far I haven't found the Inbox of these messages, does anyone know where it is?
The 'bell' icon to the right of the person icon (or avatar) at the top of the page

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8878 P
We've been through this a ga-zillion times during the original discussion of what picture to use on the home page. Go back and read through the 75 pages and see how every suggestion for an image was met with a number of rejections for that image. (For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.)

This was (is) a project that attempted to be designed by consensus. Which never happened. I dropped out of that discussion because it was becoming circular. As were various discussions of the "correct" word to us. At some point, which no consensus taking hold, someone had to pull the trigger and make the decision.

I don't need to go back and re-read those 75 pages, I remember quite clearly pulling out of the discussion (see http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=16894.0# reply #673) because it was all just going around in circles.

I was not suggesting that the image was the "one" to replace the current pic, merely pointing out that the very first image you get with a 'music' search is headphones.  In fact, scrolling through those Google images I didn't see any with wilderness or rocks.

And as AvikB had removed the image in the test site, and replaced it with a place-holder (effectively silencing any debate on the issue until the site went live), now would be the time to discuss this again.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

redwing

No, that's not what actually happened. Most debate was about the woman with headphone image. After that, we did have a consensus with yellow speakers image, but the OP dropped it later for some reason.

This is your own words:

Not to rain on your parade, but what's with the new background on the home page?  What does it have to do with music?  I really hate to start this discussion again, but I thought the background image had (finally) been decided.

And his response:

I have decided to get rid off the old image and moving to much cleaner wireframe design. ofc the current wireframe background is nothing but placeholder, i will update it to have more matching with music stuff.

Later he dropped the wireframe too without any images, and all of sudden we now have a man sitting on the rocks.

If Steven likes the image, then I'm fine as this is his website. But just for the record I think the image is completely off and misleading.

Havokdan

The 'bell' icon to the right of the person icon (or avatar) at the top of the page

Thanks. I thought that this icon was to alert when my name was mentioned in some topic, wrong assumption.