Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 576587 times)

AvikB

I don't understand why every add-on I submit has to get approved by admin/mod. I'm waiting hours for a TM I submitted. Also I made a slight edit for a skin, and it's on the waiting list again. I'd suggest only first add-on requires approval and once a user gets approved with the first add-on, then all restrictions should be removed for the user from that moment. We had no issues at all on the previous website without any approval involved.
By default a user need atleast 3 approved add-on to submit add-on without approval. But yeah i think only approving first add-on is a good idea. Fortunately it can be changed by Steven(admin). I will ask him to reduce the limitation.

phred

• Global Moderator
I don't understand why every add-on I submit has to get approved by admin/mod. I'm waiting hours for a TM I submitted. Also I made a slight edit for a skin, and it's on the waiting list again. I'd suggest only first add-on requires approval and once a user gets approved with the first add-on, then all restrictions should be removed for the user from that moment. We had no issues at all on the previous website without any approval involved.
I agree with this 100%. I'm sure I said something when it was first discussed during the early days of the redesign. I probably said something like "just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done."

That being said, changing the process so that only the first submission per user needs approval is a good solution. In addition, I'm pretty sure Steven said he and the mods should receive an email when a submission that needs approval is made. But to date, I haven't received a single notice that there's something pending.

Lastly, not counting Steven, there seem to be only two active mods (hiccup and myself.) I can't speak for Steven or hiccup, but I'm not sitting at my computer all day waiting to see if something needs approval. So it's entirely possible approvals could take a day or two.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
By default a user need atleast 3 approved add-on to submit add-on without approval. But yeah i think only approving first add-on is a good idea. Fortunately it can be changed by Steven(admin). I will ask him to reduce the limitation.
i have set the value to 1

redwing

Navigating through pages on each board (e.g. General, Skins) is not easy. Looks like the only way to go to the previous/next page is clicking on a page number on the top of the page. I'd suggest put another page number buttons on the bottom as well. Also add Back(<), Next(>), 10 page back (<<), 10 page after (>>) buttons on both top and bottom of each page. If we can type a "go to page number" as well, that'd be great.

Edit: Just noticed clicking on page numbers expands the list. With the longest General board, to fully expand the page number list requires 6 clicks - not that bad. But still want to see all the usual buttons except typing page number request.
Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 08:13:04 PM by redwing

Sofocl

Agreed, too much wasted white space, I am finding it much harder to read than the old forum.
+1
Sorry for my bad English.

Steven

• Administrator
for the people who are saying there is too much wasted white space, can you post a screenshot as i am certainly not seeing it

Sofocl

for the people who are saying there is too much wasted white space, can you post a screenshot as i am certainly not seeing it
New

Old
Sorry for my bad English.

hiccup

searching the forum:    method 1   ·   method 2   ·   method 3                            latest MusicBee patches:   here                            all virtual tag functions:   here

hiccup

And to possibly prevent some confusion when discussing this, there is a difference between looking at a post by choosing 'recent topics', or from within it's own thread.

In the first case there is not so much 'white' but the attention is first and mainly drawn to:
- the very large and bold post #
- the bold header
- the buttons at the top right

And finally to the message itself (which should be the most prominent in my opinion)

In the second case, the main attention goes to the message itself (black), and secondly to the header (grey).
I like that a whole lot better.
But that one has quite a lot of 'white' surrounding the text.

Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 03:48:35 AM by hiccup
searching the forum:    method 1   ·   method 2   ·   method 3                            latest MusicBee patches:   here                            all virtual tag functions:   here

hiccup

Lastly, not counting Steven, there seem to be only two active mods (hiccup and myself.) I can't speak for Steven or hiccup, but I'm not sitting at my computer all day waiting to see if something needs approval. So it's entirely possible approvals could take a day or two.

For skins, I don't see a purpose in having an approval system in place at all.

For plug-ins which might present a possible risk due to their interaction with MusicBee on a programming level I can see that might serve a purpose, but for skins I don't see the value of an approval system, neither the risk when not having it.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8878 P

There are only two other moderators left from the original six set up by Steven.
Looking at the top ten posters from the stats page, maybe redwing and psychoadept might be interested in becoming moderators, to bring the moderator numbers back up to the original level.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

redwing

So either that dark theme or all-bright theme?
Is it possible to turn off the avatar image as a view setting?
For now, yes.
I will introduce a much more compact theme.
For now you can turn off the avatar from your forum setting. But it won't reduce the post height. I will look into it, it seems like a bug.

Turning off the avatar still has no effect on the post height. I think it might be a good idea to introduce a (separate) compact theme as you said before.