Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 551536 times)

AvikB

Haha,
Do you want me to shut-up about such details from now on, so you can focus on important stuff?
Don't answer, I will.  ;-)

nah, it is fine. It actually pushes me to fix those issues rather than being lazy and skip them :P

AvikB

A new update for the dashboard and notification center.

After Hiccup mentioned the ability to autohide the small notifications i have made some adjustments and some styling improvement.

From now, notifications now use smooth animations and autohide after5seconds, you can also manually dismiss them.

one major bug fix that i just noticed today is the ability to press back button and go back to previous page. It fixed the issue with dashboard but completely broke admin panel navigation which i haven't fixed(will do after dashboard completes).
Also from this point 98% of previous style removed. you shouldn't see any difference though. But due to this few things are broken(functional but have weird looks):
admin panel and dashboard submission.

Also few new functionality added to dashboard.

hiccup

nah, it is fine. It actually pushes me to fix those issues rather than being lazy and skip them :P

Ok.
I am probably also a bit lazy myself exploring new features and testing out stuff on the new forum by myself, so let me know whenever you need some specific features tested.

AvikB

another plan for the future or more likely plans to remove another feature.

direct mediafire upload will be removed from dashboard submission in future. reasons:
only 4MB filesize.
has some security concerns as it uploads the file to musicbee server first.
also for the previous reason would create bandwidth issue
someone has to monitor mediafire account.
if not monitored anyone can upload illegal stuff and the account could be taken down. which creates the issue of losing all uploads. :(

due to these reasons it will be removed. IMGUR upload on the other hand will stay.

hiccup

From now, notifications now use smooth animations and autohide after5seconds, you can also manually dismiss them.

Nice.

It could be my eyes, my monitor, of both, but I find this text slightly difficult to read.

AvikB

Nice.
:) hope it works properly for everyone. I haven't tested much on firefox only opera and chrome.

It could be my eyes, my monitor, of both, but I find this text slightly difficult to read.
is it the colors? other than that they perfectly readable other than being edgy.

hiccup

is it the colors? other than that they perfectly readable other than being edgy.

Edgy is fine here ;-)
No, it's just that the color seems to be a bit light.
But if it is a result of my strict no-cleartype policy and not too high-end display, please just leave it.
It is readable fine enough.

AvikB

Edgy is fine here ;-)
No, it's just that the color seems to be a bit light.
But if it is a result of my strict no-cleartype policy and not too high-end display, please just leave it.
It is readable fine enough.
It looks fine while font smoothing turned on. I won't change it unless it is much demanded, since the whole site now uses that font color.

hiccup

It looks fine while font smoothing turned on. I won't change it unless it is much demanded, since the whole site now uses that font color.

Fair enough, not a problem.

AvikB

I wan't to shed some concerns and warnings for the uk/us/other language discussion. Instead of doing pm it is more likely a notice rather than a discussion.

THIS IS RELATED TO MUSICBEE WEBSITE LANGUAGE NOT FORUM.

DO NOT DISCUSS ANY FORUM RELATED LANGUAGE HERE.

The new site will support different languages, That means community can make UK translation of the whole site(except forum), or US translation, Russian, Chinese, Japanese,and others . The default will be en-us but User will be able to choose any of them they prefer via dropdown on the footer.

BUT you won't be able to change language for anything under add-on menu, once the site is live. they will ALWAYS be in english and maybe us/uk whatever we decide (only one time change, before goes live).

Different language support is something is already mostly done from the alpha stage. here is peak of the language file
https://github.com/Avik-B/mb_web/blob/Dev/includes/languages/en-us.php
Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:03:58 PM by AvikB

Steven

• Administrator
the original reason i created a sub-topic for portable devices was because i (naively) thought that it would have the most bugs reported and need special treatment.
There isnt a good reason to have it split going forward

Steven

• Administrator
just regarding the new forum, i really like how its been done but i have one thing i dont really like and thats the orange bar in the left of each section header - I find the orange bars quite distracting and to me makes it feel messy.
If i'm the only one that feels that way then please leave it as-is

hiccup

the original reason i created a sub-topic for portable devices was because i (naively) thought that it would have the most bugs reported and need special treatment.
There isnt a good reason to have it split going forward

ok,

Just thinking, would it perhaps be an idea to create a childboard under bugs named something like "readme first"
We could have only 1 sticky topic in that board, explaining good practice in reporting bugs. Such as advising posters to mention what MB version they are using, if they are using specific plugins that might be related to their issue, what AV software they might be using, etc.?

Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 07:03:56 PM by hiccup

AvikB

just regarding the new forum, i really like how its been done but i have one thing i dont really like and thats the orange bar in the left of each section header - I find the orange bars quite distracting and to me makes it feel messy.
If i'm the only one that feels that way then please leave it as-is

the orange bars are there for a little bit variation. otherwise it looks way too blunt. orange bars will catch the eye easily and makes it easy to focus on those category.

ofc if other members think this is too distracting, then i will remove it.

hiccup

the orange bars are there for a little bit variation. otherwise it looks way too blunt. orange bars will catch the eye easily and makes it easy to focus on those category.

I think I like them.
It gives the page just a little bit extra personality, and I like the color setting.