Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 551541 times)

AvikB

Ah yes, that was it. So that same condition can not be set for being allowed to create a signature?
Well, not a real problem anyway. Same as phred until now I only once had one small issue with a users signature.
Well i guess it is possible but not really feeling doing it since it would be a hack and will break whenever any SMF update is done.

redwing

Currently the new forum doesn't look properly in 1600x900 resolution. Is this a known issue?

AvikB

Currently the new forum doesn't look properly in 1600x900 resolution. Is this a known issue?

No it is not an issue, just refresh the page and it should be okay.

AvikB

Yeah, it works. Was it browser cache?
yup. I updated the forum styling today so you need to clear the cache.

AvikB

OK. Thanks!
Btw, the issue that you pointed out with avatar disabled and posts needs smaller height is now mostly fixed.
if you have avatar disabled posts will use lesser height.

redwing

Two things about the forum structures:

- Questions under Support section is not necessary as quite often a question develops into discussion. Also people will keep posting questions on General Discussions board.
- Why is plugins alone not a child board? It just takes up vertical space.

redwing

Btw, the issue that you pointed out with avatar disabled and posts needs smaller height is now mostly fixed.
if you have avatar disabled posts will use lesser height.

Great. Thanks!

AvikB

- Questions under Support section is not necessary as quite often a question develops into discussion. Also people will keep posting questions on General Discussions board.
Well general is for discussion if a question ever turns into discussion op will be asked to create a new thread in general for discussion purpose.

Plugins are not same as customizations.  They intend to allow more functionality while custimization controls how musicbee looks. thats why it have separate board.

redwing

Well general is for discussion if a question ever turns into discussion op will be asked to create a new thread in general for discussion purpose.

For a big forum with lots of mods and members, it might work. But not for this forum.

Plugins are not same as customizations.  They intend to allow more functionality while custimization controls how musicbee looks. thats why it have separate board.

Then drop the word customizations. They are all add-ons and it looks strange all others are cramped under one board except plugins.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I agree with redwing, there's no effective way to separate "questions" from "discussions".
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

AvikB

For a big forum with lots of mods and members, it might work. But not for this forum.
well it is not MANDATORY for user to create a new discussion thread in general. If they want they should be able to continue in on the question section. ofc it probably won't get as much response.
The general space is for discussion of all things. be it a question, ideas, polls.

Currently most general posts are short Q&A style. so it should not affect the majority.

Then drop the word customizations. They are all add-ons and it looks strange all others are cramped under one board except plugins.
They are divided by their functionality.

AvikB

I agree with redwing, there's no effective way to separate "questions" from "discussions".

Lets look at some stat here:
the current general board have 95% Q&A, and gets less than 5 reply to solve their issues. It is not fit for general discussion but more of Q&A.

On the other hand it creates issues for discussion threads. If a discussion thread is not active for 3-4 day it gets buried under all these questions. And i highly doubt anyone even bother to find them by searching and reopen the discussion.

To overcome this issue general thread will not be used for short Q&A but rather polls, discussion, concepts, idea/suggestions, meta.
Questions will be used for short Q&A, medium sized Q&A for existing and beta musicbee only.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I get the idea, I'm just saying with a few exceptions you can't necessarily predict which threads are going to generate the most discussion, and new member behavior is always hard to manage.  Look at how hard it is to get bugs in bugs, portable devices in portable devices, keep questions out of tips & tricks, and so on already.  It would create a lot more work for the mods trying to keep things in the right place.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)