Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 551713 times)

AvikB

Another thing in this update is that, member signature won't show unless mouse over that member's post.
it is not completely hidden but nor disturbing by default.

I will need more input on this, do you guys think this behavior is okay? or should i just show it by default?

Steven

• Administrator
i really like the new structure and i think on balance its better without the big boxes

hiccup

Another thing in this update is that, member signature won't show unless mouse over that member's post.
it is not completely hidden but nor disturbing by default.
I will need more input on this, do you guys think this behavior is okay? or should i just show it by default?

I personally really don't care about signatures, and usually find them distracting and kind of senseless. (wisecracks, summing up their hardware, etc., even though this forum is a very positive exception in this respect)
Especially in the case of for example phred's and psychoadept's, they do serve a purpose that benefits other users.
So if you would ask me, have such useful signatures 'sticky', and others can be grey type on a grey background ;-)

hiccup

A new update based on hiccup's suggestion about color scheme of the forum.
Go to forum and REFRESH the browser to clear the cache. Light color scheme does not have weird dark contrast.

That is really looking very good!
And as mentioned before, the dark theme is also fantastic. Almost feels like working in Photoshop ;-)

AvikB

I personally really don't care about signatures, and usually find them distracting and kind of senseless. (wisecracks, summing up their hardware, etc., even though this forum is a very positive exception in this respect)
Especially in the case of for example phred's and psychoadept's, they do serve a purpose that benefits other users.
So if you would ask me, have such useful signatures 'sticky', and others can be grey type on a grey background ;-)

unfortunately it is not possible to have a sticky signature in smf.

but they are not completely hidden. you just have to mouse over their post

AvikB

That is really looking very good!
And as mentioned before, the dark theme is also fantastic. Almost feels like working in Photoshop ;-)
^^

phred

• Global Moderator
I believe my sig (and psycho's) not only helps the user-base, but it saves an enormous number of keystrokes.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

unfortunately it is not possible to have a sticky signature in smf.
but they are not completely hidden. you just have to mouse over their post

Maybe I am an actor in Groundhog Day now, but related to this, wasn't there a setting that you had to have a certain status as a forum member before you are allowed to create a signature?
That would be good to prevent new users misusing this feature.

AvikB

Maybe I am an actor in Groundhog Day now, but related to this, wasn't there a setting that you had to have a certain status as a forum member before you are allowed to create a signature?
That would be good to prevent new users misusing this feature.

No there was never any feature like that. What you are talking is the new wysiwyg editor toolbar, where any member who have over 20-30 posts can see some extra toolbar buttons.

AvikB

I believe my sig (and psycho's) not only helps the user-base, but it saves an enormous number of keystrokes.
Ofc i understand that thats why i am asking for feedback on this.

phred

• Global Moderator
FWIW, when I see a sig that is obviously spam, I sent a polite PM to the user asking them to remove it as it is considered spam.  I've had no complaints.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

wasn't there a setting that you had to have a certain status as a forum member before you are allowed to create a signature?
No there was never any feature like that. What you are talking is the new wysiwyg editor toolbar, where any member who have over 20-30 posts can see some extra toolbar buttons.

Ah yes, that was it. So that same condition can not be set for being allowed to create a signature?
Well, not a real problem anyway. Same as phred until now I only once had one small issue with a users signature.

hiccup

Don't loose a second of sleep over this, but if I look with some detail at some icons and texts, some are not as smooth as others.
The edgy text is probably due to my own deliberate disabling of cleartype. You solved that already for all important locations, so don't bother too much about these minor locations.

Could the edgy icons also be a result of that? Are they in fact some true-type font or something?

4 times enlarged:

AvikB

Don't loose a second of sleep over this, but if I look with some detail at some icons and texts, some are not as smooth as others.
The edgy text is probably due to my own deliberate disabling of cleartype. You solved that already for all important locations, so don't bother too much about these minor locations.

Could the edgy icons also be a result of that? Are they in fact some true-type font or something?

4 times enlarged:
the edgy text is broken in most of the sites, i haven't fixed them and it is broken in some places like the forum searchbox. I will fix them when the site is complete.

AvikB

Okay another update this time. It is a big one. :)

The New Dashboard is now live. It is still WIP, although almost fully functional.
styling for "addon submit" or "update" is not done and "view all addon" is half way there. So do not report bugs. New feature requests are welcome though.

With this new dashboard design any moderator/global mod/admin can now approve addons. and it is super easy. just click approve on the overview panel. or reject it.
New statistics for your most liked or downloaded addons with counters.

Another new addition is that, when a user click on download button for addon, it will open another page stating the redirect. Also it allows database to get download statistics for dashboard.

If you are worried what data gets collected:
your IP(this way it is unique per ip and can not be easily misused),
if you are registered/logged in or not,
and the addon that you are trying to download.

Some huge backend improvement is done.

One nasty pagination bug fixed(which was my stupid mistake).

also @hiccup since you are a global mod, help me out on testing if the following work or not:
go to dashboard and see if you get this message:

If you can see this try to approve it and tell me if it works properly for global mod too.

I have already approved the one that phred_phred submitted and it seem to work.