Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 551889 times)

AvikB

Taking it a step further, do we even need a rubbish bin?  I've never moved anything to it.  I simply delete any spam that I catch.
Yup i was wondering the same thing. And if you look the current forum there is only 4 posts!!, it is really hard to justify the space it takes in the forum homepage just for 4 posts.
I say it is best if we remove it. or atleast move to a child board.

I'll move it to a child board for now.
I seem to recollect that Steven has created this rubbish bin in the past for a purpose, so let's just have him decide if he wants to delete it later.
fine with me.

boroda

wow! russian is perfectly supported by new forum (current forum displays ? instead of Cyrillic letters)..

i think there is no need for 'other languages' board. everybody can just post a question in his language under regular boards.

hiccup

1. I changed some English UK words to English US. Is believe that was the intention for the website, and I am assuming for the forum too?
Let me know if this is incorrect, then I will change it back.
It is fine :)

Ehh, so phred says UK, you say US?
@Steven?

4. The dark 'Category' title bars are quite big (high), and take up a lot of vertical space. Could they be made thinner and more elegant?
What do you mean? can you post a screenshot?

These:

They are quite high and massive. Also the darkness of them creates a high contrast with the rest of the page, which is not very pleasant on the eyes.
In fact, I feel the same about the black top bars. I wouldn't mind if they would get some friendlier color too.

6. I still have some doubts myself if the child board 'other languages' must be introduced.
Maybe some other forum members whose native tongue is not English can give some input on this?
Is there really a demand for this? maybe we can post an poll when the new forum releases and see the response. :)

That might be a good idea. I'll remove it for now, and at a later date when the forum is up and running, anybody caring about this can propose it and start a poll.

hiccup

i think there is no need for 'other languages' board. everybody can just post a question in his language under regular boards.

Thanks. I believe you changed your mind a bit about this? (just like I did in fact)
I believe I can recall you were enthusiastic a while back when this was first brought up.

hiccup

Will do, but I'd rather wait until all the text is finalized.  Otherwise I'm check each rendition and wasting my time.  I'd rather do it a day or two before it goes live.

Ok. But while that is of course your prerogative, I think that while that would be fine for small factual errors, I think if it concerns choice of wordings and explanatory sentences, it might be good to do that a bit earlier, so there is some time to discuss it before everything goes live.
Never mind, I am sure it will all fall into place just fine.

phred

• Global Moderator
1. I changed some English UK words to English US. Is believe that was the intention for the website, and I am assuming for the forum too?
@Steven?
I'm pretty sure I didn't say UK. 

Steven told me that for the website, I should use US English, but nothing was discussed regarding the forum.  Personally I think there should be consistency throughout, so I opt for US English.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

For starters, I would change "this is where nonsense goes" to perhaps no description at all as is done currently.  I can't help but think users will post jokes, spam, and other "nonsense" there.  Taking it a step further, do we even need a rubbish bin?  I've never moved anything to it.  I simply delete any spam that I catch.
Yup i was wondering the same thing. And if you look the current forum there is only 4 posts!!, it is really hard to justify the space it takes in the forum homepage just for 4 posts.

Funny, only those 4 rubbish posts together collected 42601 views.
People just love garbage ;-)

hiccup

@Steven?
I'm pretty sure I didn't say UK. 

Steven told me that for the website, I should use US English, but nothing was discussed regarding the forum.  Personally I think there should be consistency throughout, so I opt for US English.

I get it. I got confused because I asked for English-UK vs. English-US.
Your response used the term 'US-English. My brain registered 'English' as the dominator there.
I'll leave it to American-English-US then.
Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 06:28:35 PM by hiccup

Steven

• Administrator
i created the Rubbish Bin in a moment of annoyance as some of the posts being made. I think it should be removed going forward

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Should I convert the wiki back to US English for consistency? I changed it to match MusicBee defaults...
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

Should I convert the wiki back to US English for consistency? I changed it to match MusicBee defaults...

Grrr, this is still a bugging issue in my mind too.
The wordings in MusicBee are by default in UK-English (unless a user manually sets MB's language to US of course)
So most users looking for support, will probably use UK English to look for terms as 'organising', visualiser' etc. etc.
To be honest, for that reason I would agree if Steven would decide to use UK-English web-forum-wiki wide.

edit;
Or perhaps a sensible compromise would be to have the website in US-English, since I am assuming that is more or less the norm for websites, and have both the forum and the wiki in UK-English, since that happens to be the norm for MusicBee and it's developer.
Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 07:04:38 PM by hiccup

Steven

• Administrator
its too annoying having people say there are spelling mistakes so i would rather just have the site as US english

hiccup

its too annoying having people say there are spelling mistakes so i would rather just have the site as US english

I just edited my last response a second ago. Would that proposal be agreeable?

phred

• Global Moderator
Just for the record, I am more than embarrassed by my fellow countrymen and women who just instantly assume the UK spelling is a typo.  While the Brits and the rest of the UK English speaking world almost never point out US English "misspellings." 
Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 07:59:48 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

AvikB

A new update based on hiccup's suggestion about color scheme of the forum.

Go to forum and REFRESH the browser to clear the cache. Light color scheme does not have weird dark contrast.

Another huge improvement would be mobile support for viewing thread. :), it is finally here. I haven't tasted it out yet so take it with a grain of salt.