Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 560354 times)

hiccup

Trying out how posting a screenshot in the new forum works, I found that when you press the 'insert image' button, you get presented with a rather spartan pop-up field:

I doubt if every user will be able to enter the needed url there.
Would it be possible to have a browse button, so a user can navigate to the location of the image he wants to upload?
Or perhaps even have drag&drop for that?

AvikB

Trying out how posting a screenshot in the new forum works, I found that when you press the 'insert image' button, you get presented with a rather spartan pop-up field:

I doubt if every user will be able to enter the needed url there.
Would it be possible to have a browse button, so a user can navigate to the location of the image he wants to upload?
Or perhaps even have drag&drop for that?

Not possible since browser button, or drag & drop requires attachment to be enable. and it will upload them to the server, which steven didn't wanted because of huge bandwidth issue. as for now use thridparty image hosting to upload and then provide a link.

phred

• Global Moderator
Using the great Imgur Uploader to upload and create the URL still works.
http://test.getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php/topic,11.0.html
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

AvikB

No it doesn't, hahaha
(I'm sorry)
I have no idea how you got this error! :S seems like thread is deleted.

redwing

Just offer more detailed instructions:

"Upload your picture to an image hosting site (e.g. http://imgur.com) and provide a link to the image"

hiccup

I made a start implementing the new structure on the new board.
http://test.getmusicbee.com/forum/

Some remarks and observations on this:
1. I changed some English UK words to English US. Is believe that was the intention for the website, and I am assuming for the forum too?
Let me know if this is incorrect, then I will change it back.
2. @phred, could you please check for spelling errors, capitalizations, possible abuses of the English language, crooked wordings, etc.?
3. I have not (yet) created a new separate category called 'Announcement' as was suggested in the latest proposal. The reason is that that will cost some precious screen estate, which we will need later for some big buttons ;-)
For now I left it under 'General', with an added comment 'announcement only' (Steven will have to give himself exclusive rights to post there)
4. The dark 'Category' title bars are quite big (high), and take up a lot of vertical space. Could they be made thinner and more elegant?
5. Anybody with new insights and suggestions for improvements, please shoot!

edit:
6. I still have some doubts myself if the child board 'other languages' must be introduced.
Maybe some other forum members whose native tongue is not English can give some input on this?
7. Should we perhaps put 'Rubbish bin' as a child of 'Beyond MusicBee'? That will gain some screen territory too.
Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 04:18:36 PM by hiccup

hiccup

This is weird. When I visit the new forum without logging-in, I see all boards:

But when I am logged-in, the General Discussions board is gone:

Am I missing some obscure preferences setting here?

phred

• Global Moderator
1. I changed some English UK words to English US. Is believe that was the intention for the website, and I am assuming for the forum too?
Steven told me that for the website, I should use US English, but nothing was discussed regarding the forum.  Personally I think there should be consistency throughout, so I opt for US English.

2. @phred, could you please check for spelling errors, capitalizations, possible abuses of the English language, crooked wordings, etc.?
Will do, but I'd rather wait until all the text is finalized.  Otherwise I'm checking each rendition and wasting my time.  I'd rather do it a day or two before it goes live.

7. Should we perhaps put 'Rubbish bin' as a child of 'Beyond MusicBee'? That will gain some screen territory too.
For starters, I would change "this is where nonsense goes" to perhaps no description at all as is done currently.  I can't help but think users will post jokes, spam, and other "nonsense" there.  Taking it a step further, do we even need a rubbish bin?  I've never moved anything to it.  I simply delete any spam that I catch.
Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 06:00:14 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

AvikB

This is weird. When I visit the new forum without logging-in, I see all boards:

But when I am logged-in, the General Discussions board is gone:

Am I missing some obscure preferences setting here?
It seems you changed the board permission setting:

as you can see global moderators are disabled. so everyone can see it except global mods. Check the global moderator box and you should be able to see it too.
Don't change permission of any board. let it rest in default. which should be good. :)

AvikB

It is fine :)

3. I have not (yet) created a new separate category called 'Announcement' as was suggested in the latest proposal. The reason is that that will cost some precious screen estate, which we will need later for some big buttons ;-)
For now I left it under 'General', with an added comment 'announcement only' (Steven will have to give himself exclusive rights to post there)
I think Latest should be enough. Steven could mark posts stable release posts as [Release] Whatever release title
and for beta [Beta] Whatever Beta release

4. The dark 'Category' title bars are quite big (high), and take up a lot of vertical space. Could they be made thinner and more elegant?
What do you mean? can you post a screenshot?

5. Anybody with new insights and suggestions for improvements, please shoot!
Description for question board maybe too short! maybe a bit more longer!

edit:
6. I still have some doubts myself if the child board 'other languages' must be introduced.
Maybe some other forum members whose native tongue is not English can give some input on this?
Is there really a demand for this? maybe we can post an poll when the new forum releases and see the response. :)

Well everything goes into rubbish is not really related to musicbee, so it can be moved to beyond musicbee, i think.

AvikB

For starters, I would change "this is where nonsense goes" to perhaps no description at all as is done currently.  I can't help but think users will post jokes, spam, and other "nonsense" there.  Taking it a step further, do we even need a rubbish bin?  I've never moved anything to it.  I simply delete any spam that I catch.
Yup i was wondering the same thing. And if you look the current forum there is only 4 posts!!, it is really hard to justify the space it takes in the forum homepage just for 4 posts.

I say it is best if we remove it. or atleast move to a child board.

hiccup

as you can see global moderators are disabled. so everyone can see it except global mods. Check the global moderator box and you should be able to see it too.
Don't change permission of any board. let it rest in default. which should be good. :)

Ah, thnx. I am very sure I never touched any of those settings, so I didn't look there.

hiccup

Taking it a step further, do we even need a rubbish bin?  I've never moved anything to it.  I simply delete any spam that I catch.
Yup i was wondering the same thing. And if you look the current forum there is only 4 posts!!, it is really hard to justify the space it takes in the forum homepage just for 4 posts.
I say it is best if we remove it. or atleast move to a child board.

I'll move it to a child board for now.
I seem to recollect that Steven has created this rubbish bin in the past for a purpose, so let's just have him decide if he wants to delete it later.