Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 551559 times)

AvikB

Are you working on something right now?
Some serious corruption here:

can't seem to reproduce it :S
you might wanna refresh the browser, since i have updated the forum styling a bit, ti might need to clear the cache

hiccup

can't seem to reproduce it :S
you might wanna refresh the browser, since i have updated the forum styling a bit, ti might need to clear the cache

Yep, that fixed it.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
If you look at the stats for the top 10 boards

I think it makes sense to have the big coloured buttons at the top of the forum to provide quick access to the popular areas.
General and Wishlist are too generic to warrant their own buttons, but Bug Reports (which I think the red button will eventually link to), Add-Ons (Plugins, Skins, TheaterMode - ie. the green button) and the Latest Version link.

I do think the blue button should point to the latest patch, as this is the forum and you would (probably) be looking for an update to fix a feature/bug.  The main site has the link to the latest released version.

The only other way I could think of would be to replace the red button with a 'Tips and Tricks' one, moving the Question/Issue text to a banner (in safety yellow/orange) at the top of the Bug Reports page
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

hiccup

I do think the blue button should point to the latest patch, as this is the forum and you would (probably) be looking for an update to fix a feature/bug.  The main site has the link to the latest released version.
The only other way I could think of would be to replace the red button with a 'Tips and Tricks' one, moving the Question/Issue text to a banner (in safety yellow/orange) at the top of the Bug Reports page

I think we were on the verge on agreeing that we could live without those big buttons very well.
Are you advocating that you bee-lieve they are so important and have such added value that they should have a prime location and take up as much space as they do?

Bee-liever

Are you advocating that you bee-lieve they are so important and have such added value that they should have a prime location and take up as much space as they do?
Yes :)

AvikB

take up as much space as they do?
they do take a lots of space but comparing to the current forum it actually takes less space :P

hiccup

This new forum stuff is starting to remind me of Groundhog Day more and more.

AvikB

The main issue is that steven does not use any specific thread to post patches. so i don't think linking to announcement thread will work.

unfortunately adding banner to any specific page is not possible without any dirty hack :S

AvikB

What the heck is ground hog day?

hiccup

A movie that you will enjoy ;-)

phred

• Global Moderator
No wonder it all seems familiar!!!
It's deja-vu all over again.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Bee-liever

The main issue is that steven does not use any specific thread to post patches. so i don't think linking to announcement thread will work.

No, there is no landing page, but the download link is always the same.
It's the one phred uses in his signature.

AvikB

No, there is no landing page, but the download link is always the same.
It's the one phred uses in his signature.
I don't think the link is consistent. It is for v2.5 what will happen when v3.0 releases? it will need manual editing, which is not an elegant solution.

hiccup

added on my watchlist :)

It is really good. Both funny and philosophical.

But on a more serious note, allow me to be honest here:
I feel some parts in developping the new forum and website are dragging on a lot longer than they should.
Let's take the discussion on the picture on the front page. After lots of discussion, at a certain moment Steven indicated he would be happy with the picture with the speaker and the computer display.
Instead of settling it and using that, the discussion just went on and on. (and I believe it still is?)
Now the same is happening with the 'big buttons'. It has been discussed a lot before. Today Steven mentioned he would be fine with getting rid of them.
Instead of just following that suggestion and moving on, the discussion is immediatly brought to life again.

I think it would be good, and more productive, that if there has been a discussion on a matter that anybody was able to give his input on, and then at a certain moment Steven says 'this would be fine by me', just let's do that then.
These specific matters are also not show-stoppers, and can quite easily be changed/added/removed at a later moment.

I shiver at the thought in what state MusicBee would have been if it was developed in the same democratic way the new forum is being discussed.

Let's get this show on the road!