Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 551355 times)

redwing

So either that dark theme or all-bright theme?
Is it possible to turn off the avatar image as a view setting?

AvikB

So either that dark theme or all-bright theme?
Is it possible to turn off the avatar image as a view setting?
For now, yes.
I will introduce a much more compact theme.
For now you can turn off the avatar from your forum setting. But it won't reduce the post height. I will look into it, it seems like a bug.

redwing

That'd be great. Hopefully the new theme will use more eye-friendly colors.

rurutia10

I think I prefer the current forum layout more. It's just so clean, nice, and comfy.

hiccup

I think I prefer the current forum layout more. It's just so clean, nice, and comfy.

Such a comment could be useful if it would give some suggestions about what specifics you don't like about the new forum.
Specific things such as colours, fonts, icons, spacing, structure, etc.
That might be helpful, and even be implemented if considered sensible and agreed on.
Only saying you don't like it so much is not of much value in my opinion.

rurutia10

It's not as fast and smooth as the current layout. This is subjective, but I just think the current one looks cleaner and nicer, and feels faster. That layout also looks really generic, there are probably a ton of forums that look almost exactly the same.

The current one is simple, fast, looks great and unique. Why change? It's quite popular here too, why take risks? "If it's not broken don't fix it".
Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 02:00:28 PM by rurutia10

AvikB

It's not as fast and smooth as the current layout. This is subjective, but I just think the current one looks cleaner and nicer, and feels faster. That layout also looks really generic,
I don't get it, what makes you think the current layout is fast and smooth? I have done the tests on my end. the current forum layout uses old outdated images for buttons and such and is slow to load. While the new layout uses modern css3 standards and is faster and has css3 animations for smooth feel. I think you got it backward.

there are probably a ton of forums that look almost exactly the same.
It is a forum you can't expect it to look/work like reddit can you?

The current one is simple, fast, looks great and unique. Why change?
BTW, the new forum is just a skin and few mods, it is the same as the current one in terms of functionality. Both are same just with different colors and so. I can't see any uniqueness in any of them.

It's quite popular here too, why take risks? "If it's not broken don't fix it".
The funny thing is the current forum after the update is actually broken. for example the PM layout, and while in Posting a new thread textbox resizer is broken too, as well as bcc button too, also code selection and jump to navigation is broken too.

There are few new features in the new forum, and they are not just gimmicks either:
1. one click dark theme, it is a unique feature custom built by me, not a part of SMF.
2. WYSIWYG editor, this is a mod integration, much more easier to write.
3. Full screen editor, write distraction free, specially usefull for writing long posts(like this one)
4. Full site integration and notification counter.
5. Code highlight

Now plans for future, When SMF3 will be released, they are planning to release a mobile theme as well. the current forum won't support it since it is not very css3 friendly.

It would be helpful if you could point out the issues or bugs rather than saying you like the current outdated forum look. :(

rurutia10

"Get the latest version of Musicbee" That button, and the buttons next to it, just look like bloat and takes up space tbh and should be removed. Put them all the way to the top next to the help button. More cleaner and minimalist, the better.

AvikB

"Get the latest version of Musicbee" That button, and the buttons next to it, just look like bloat and takes up space tbh and should be removed. Put them all the way to the top next to the help button. More cleaner and minimalist, the better.

I do agree with you, i am thinking of providing a way for allowing users to collapse them.

Steven

• Administrator
I do agree with you, i am thinking of providing a way for allowing users to collapse them.
if you are going to do that then why not just get rid of them?
The only reason i suggested them was to serve as a hint for new users who seem to continually struggle to find the topic with the latest updates but i only see that as mildly useful

AvikB

New update:
* Addon page is now fully responsive, and mobile friendly.
* Addon page, dashboard, admin panel or whatever pages used a secondary menu is now mobile friendly too.

It is not fully tested so expect bugs.

* bug fixes in addon pages
* MySQL database foreign key constraint improvement for addons, likes and members(it is not live yet).
* Code optimization, removed redundant codes.
* Improvement for dashboard.

hiccup

The only reason i suggested them was to serve as a hint for new users who seem to continually struggle to find the topic with the latest updates but i only see that as mildly useful

+1

And just curious, is something like this still going to happen?
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=16894.msg99771#msg99771

AvikB

Maybe, instead of having those big banner on the forum front page, we can show a little banner while posting.
something like this:

AvikB

And just curious, is something like this still going to happen?
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=16894.msg99771#msg99771

yup, when the new forum will be available the structure will be more like that.
Someone just have to go to forum admin panel and add boards, but there is no point in adding them in the test forum though. :)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Maybe, instead of having those big banner on the forum front page, we can show a little banner while posting.
something like this:

The banner is a nice idea, but only if it can point to the REALLY latest version, the patches.  Otherwise it'll be just like now, the first thing we tell almost everyone is to get the patch.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)