Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 551333 times)

AvikB

A new update! this is a major one. Mostly focused on Addons page.

Addons page is now 90% complete, search function is fully implemented. For searching it uses combination of tags, short description, readme(if any), title, types. It is a bit complex, but it should work flawless,

Sorting is also implemented. you can sort by category and addon ages(old, recent), i will add recently updated option as well in future updates.

lots of re factoring/re organizing code base for addon page. new url structure for searches.
Also Pagination is now implemented.

Most of the hard work is complete, there are some features i am planning to add like search by authors, different layout for exploring and switching styling to scss.

Few bug fixes regarding dashboard.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Any ETA on this?  I am updating the wiki, and don't want to spend a lot of time on things that are about to be duplicated on the new site.

Thanks for the awesome work!  I'm looking forward to the final result.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

AvikB

Any ETA on this?  I am updating the wiki, and don't want to spend a lot of time on things that are about to be duplicated on the new site.

Thanks for the awesome work!  I'm looking forward to the final result.
It is really hard to give any ETA, but it should not take too long.

here is a list of what is complete and what needs to be done:
1. the home page is complete except for some images
2. the download page is complete, except for images
3. the forum is complete.
4. Release note page complete.
5. addons page is 90% complete
6. RSS feed is complete

things that need work
1. dashboard page
2. press and media page (mainly containing screenshots for reviewers/wikipedia and other site's to use)
3. api page, bug, new feature, help page are going to be redirected to either forum or wikia pages.

I highly doubt anything will be duplicated. since the help section will redirect to wikia. let me know if you have any specific concern regarding duplication.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I highly doubt anything will be duplicated. since the help section will redirect to wikia. let me know if you have any specific concern regarding duplication.

With the new plugin and skin pages, I will retire those sections of the wiki and link back to the site if possible.  The skins page in particular will need to be updated for 3.0, but I will leave it to last.  It's unlikely I'll get to it before you finish your work on this site.

FYI, the skins page is the single most visited page of the wiki by a large margin.  So expect a LOT of visitors.  :)
Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 09:34:06 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

AvikB

With the new plugin and skin pages, I will retire those sections of the wiki and link back to the site if possible.
Put that section on the wiki on a hold for now. the new site addon page is 90% complete, the dashboard is my next priority.
shouldn't take too long.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Put that section on the wiki on a hold for now. the new site addon page is 90% complete, the dashboard is my next priority.
shouldn't take too long.

*thumbs up*
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

AvikB

new update, a lots of fixes and new features:

you can view the commit here, a lots of new line of codes :) https://github.com/Avik-B/mb_web/commit/271c5d90cd0d9760719a36b385d098c1d0cd5e1c

Change Log:

1. with this update addon can be searched by author name. (author: whatever author name)
2. fix a bug while submitting addon link and image tags are getting
omitted in read me markdown.
3. added a way to provide custom callback function via json obj
4. fixed bugs in ajax navigation script while click event won't register
for ajax loaded buttons.
5. Better addon rating handling with new custom function callback.
6. addon lists, pagination are now wrapped around a function for easy
access.
7. Code optimization for generating addon lists and other.
8. minor and some major bug fixes which i can't remeber :P

with this update addon page is now 95% complete, there are some minor styling change will be done in future updates, as well as bug fixes and code optimization.

to test out the new search by author name feature, go to the addon page and in the searchbox type "author:avikb" the author: part is required.
one of the issue with this search is that you have to provide full username, you can't search by "author:avik" or "author:avikfwsfswf", although you can search by "author: a  vi  k b" and it will work. I will try to fix this issue in next update probably.

phred

• Global Moderator
Not to rain on your parade, but what's with the new background on the home page?  What does it have to do with music?  I really hate to start this discussion again, but I thought the background image had (finally) been decided.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

AvikB

Not to rain on your parade, but what's with the new background on the home page?  What does it have to do with music?  I really hate to start this discussion again, but I thought the background image had (finally) been decided.
the top wireframe icon background is just a placeholder, and the bottom 2 images are not done so not included.

I have decided to get rid off the old image and moving to much cleaner wireframe design. ofc the current wireframe background is nothing but placeholder, i will update it to have more matching with music stuff.

AvikB

New update, and also this is the final update for addon page.
Here is the change Log:

* Cleaner Design for download page
* Download page, Index Page, and a lots of other section is now on sass
* Code Optimization
* Bug Fixes and lots of other tweaks as well
* New search box at the top corner for the addon page
* Moved release note, addon page to sass, and addon page improvement
* Fuzzy Search is now available. you can search by only first few words, though spelling mistakes are still a problem and WON'T BE FIXED! Creating a full fledged search engine with spelling check is huge tasks.
* Search by author name is also enhanced with fuzzy search
* Addons that are NOT APPROVED BY ADMINS/MODS won't appear on the addon page. BUT user can still visit/download unapproved addons through direct links but will be presented with a warning.

With this update Addons page is now 100% complete for the first release. Addon Dashboard is next.
Let me know if any specific feature is needed in addon page or not.

http://www.test.getmusicbee.com/addons

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm really stoked about this!
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

AvikB

I'm really stoked about this!
Can't quite figure it out if you liked it or not :P

Nice work @
http://test.getmusicbee.com/

There are few bug fixes for addon page i have published on github, but yet to upload on the test site.

redwing

Just checked out the forum board and I think the background color (255,255,255) is too bright. How about making it a little darker like the current board (239,239,239)?
Also the height of each post and spacing between each post seems a bit large, which will require lots of scrolling to read a long thread. I'd prefer more condensed style.

AvikB

Just checked out the forum board and I think the background color (255,255,255) is too bright. How about making it a little darker like the current board (239,239,239)?
A much better solution is to use dark theme.

For the light theme i am using default white background. Dark theme was specially created for those who don't like to stare at white pages all day.

Also the height of each post and spacing between each post seems a bit large, which will require lots of scrolling to read a long thread. I'd prefer more condensed style.
The reason for this is because with this new forum avatar images will be allowed. and that is minimum height required for this.