Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 551705 times)

AvikB

i would like to spend time checking this out but right now i am quite swamped
i hope to check it out in the next few days
Take your time, i will do some tweaking and fixing bugs and adding few more features.

UPDATE: pushed a hotfix for some issues, fixed some styling, and whitelisted some user input and added html5 attribute support in htmlpurifier, support forum link url should be correct now.
Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 11:12:25 AM by AvikB

Skoop

FYI, the hand gesture shown here:

In some cultures, South Asian particularly, is considered patently offensive.  It refers to female genitalia in a derogatory way.  It is demeaning and hurtful to women there, who already face many obstacles to just getting along without harassment. 

As this site has an international audience, you might consider changing that pic. 

Steven

• Administrator
if this is true then a new picture would be needed which is a shame as it looks really good.
does anyone know a good source for free stock images?

phred

• Global Moderator
if this is true then a new picture would be needed which is a shame as it looks really good.
While I don't know a good source for free stock images, I did confirm with a friend that the current image is close enough to be considered offensive by some.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

AvikB

While I don't know a good source for free stock images, I did confirm with a friend that the current image is close enough to be considered offensive by some.

....culture sure makes thing difficult for a dev :P .....
but here is a good source, and the the ONLY BEST source for webdevs, also it has "do what you want" license and really high quality images:
http://unsplash.com/

suggest me any pics that you guys like.

hiccup

What is the license of that wallpaper?

That's not very clear to me.
But at the bottom of that page it says:

"GoodWP.com - HD desktop wallpapers
Download wallpaper scene, light, hands, concert for free with resolution 1920x1080 pix"

And there is no mention anywhere about any possible legal restrictions.
But if that website as a whole is trustworthy, I don't know really.

vpsaxman

You can do a Google image search with a license filter (and size).

1. Search "concert crowd" and pick "images" on Google.

2. Once you're there, click on "search tools"

3. Pick a "Size" and filter by "Usage Rights"

Lots of interesting images labelled for reuse (CC license), like this one for example which is license as CC-SA:

the audience is shaking ( #CC ) by Martin Fisch, on Flickr

AvikB

That's not very clear to me.
But at the bottom of that page it says:

"GoodWP.com - HD desktop wallpapers
Download wallpaper scene, light, hands, concert for free with resolution 1920x1080 pix"

And there is no mention anywhere about any possible legal restrictions.
But if that website as a whole is trustworthy, I don't know really.

After looking through their site, i found that their wallpapers are user submitted and does not contain any licensing terms whatsoever, so it means any user can upload a stock photos, which i can not use as it may cause legal issue at later date.

Suggest me a good image from the link i have posted. their licensing is better.

EDIT:
You can do a Google image search with a license filter (and size).

1. Search "concert crowd" and pick "images" on Google.

2. Once you're there, click on "search tools"

3. Pick a "Size" and filter by "Usage Rights"

Lots of interesting images labelled for reuse (CC license), like this one for example which is license as CC-SA:

Thanks, i think the licensing is appropriate and if everyone agrees i will use this:
how it looks

Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 05:03:08 PM by AvikB

vpsaxman

Wouldn't it make sense to use an image more related to home audio (like headphones or a photo of a nice high end audio setup)? I can see how the live crowd relays an idea of excitement and joy, but it's 1. not very related to MB 2. it looks rather bland.

phred

• Global Moderator
Wouldn't it make sense to use an image more related to home audio (like headphones or a photo of a nice high end audio setup)? I can see how the live crowd relays an idea of excitement and joy, but it's 1. not very related to MB 2. it looks rather bland.
I agree with vpsaxman.

And 3) the new image contains -almost- the same potentially offense hand gesture.
I'd also suggest, in the interest of being politically correct, deleting the initial image so no one gets offended.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

And in some countries music is forbidden.
Come on. We can't please 100% of the people.

I think this is already looking quite good, and bringing across enthusiasm and enjoying music very well.
Also AvikV has been quite clear he's open to any sort of pictures or images suggested by anyone.

Yet I do agree with the sentiment that the picture is showing a slightly narrow aspect, namely live pop music.
So if somebody could present a good photo/illustration representing some more diversity with pop/classical/electro/live/studio/concert/home etc. that might be even better.
But it would take some skills and talent to do that in one image without getting crowded and messy.
Or, use this picture as the main background picture, and try to insert and present a few others in a tasteful manner. (sliding? fading in/out?)

vpsaxman

How about something more like this (but with a better image):

There is a ton of CC license photos on Flickr and they're easy to search and filter by license too.