Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 559373 times)

AvikB

i am genuinely impressed and there has been a lot of thought put in to the design and useful linkages.

I will try and spend time testing this over the next few days, but some instant ones:
- on the http://test.getmusicbee.com/bug/ page, the Create a new Bug report and go to website discussion buttons dont work

Go to admin panel and set the links first.
http://test.getmusicbee.com/dashboard/#admin_setting/links

after you set the links it will work perfectly.

- on the downloads page, for the patch version, because i update it most days i am not going to maintain the number or release date so i suggest those fields get removed from the page

the release date is automatically assigned. The version number and the download link is the only field.

I included the version field for user to easily understand if they already have the patch or not. or they are just downloading the same patch AGAIN. In future you can even build a clever update system for musicbee, like notifying the user a new patch is available or not.

- again on the downloads page, is it intentional the icons on the right are not clickable - at least the Wiki section and the Skins & Plugins section should be clickable
I will make them clickable in next update. :)

- should say "Release Notes" not "Release Note"
- on the Addons page: "Want to extend Musicbee's" should be "Want to extend MusicBee's"
fixed for the next update.

- the PayPal link just takes you to the paypal home page. I can give you the full link used on the current site if needed
as i said above you will need to change it from the admin setting page i linked above.
all the links are customizable so that you can change them in future, if needed.

Steven

• Administrator
- on the http://test.getmusicbee.com/bug/ page, the Create a new Bug report and go to website discussion buttons dont work
Go to admin panel and set the links first.
http://test.getmusicbee.com/dashboard/#admin_setting/links

after you set the links it will work perfectly.
[/quote]
yes i confirm thats working fine

AvikB

- again on the downloads page, is it intentional the icons on the right are not clickable - at least the Wiki section and the Skins & Plugins section should be clickable
updated with this change and some language fix Steven pointed out.

@Steven, the website is ready for release at this point. if it is okay with you we can publish the new website and replace the old one.

Steven

• Administrator
Thats great news. I want to sync that with the next v3 update which I think that should be 2-3 weeks from now

AvikB

Thats great news. I want to sync that with the next v3 update which I think that should be 2-3 weeks from now
Thats ok with me :)
looking forward the new musicbee release.

AvikB

Added Wikia support in the help page. Now Most popular, Most Viewed, New wikia Article list will be shown on the sidebar.
Also removed some unnecessary code.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Added Wikia support in the help page. Now Most popular, Most Viewed, New wikia Article list will be shown on the sidebar.
Also removed some unnecessary code.

I like that idea, but where are you getting info on most viewed, etc?  Wikia is not always reliable on that stuff...
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

AvikB

I like that idea, but where are you getting info on most viewed, etc?  Wikia is not always reliable on that stuff...
i am using Wikia API.

here is the API page if you are interested.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hmm.  Okay, let's see what it comes up with.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
@AvikB, i plan to do the next v3 update towards the end of next week and i will have some time off next week so i can look at testing/ preparing for the website update. Does that suit you?

AvikB

@AvikB, i plan to do the next v3 update towards the end of next week and i will have some time off next week so i can look at testing/ preparing for the website update. Does that suit you?

Yup fine with me. Few things to consider though.
The website update should be smooth(as i already tested on the test server and local server), the only thing that might cause some issue is the forum update.

The theme should work fine, but the since there are few mods(peoplesign, editor, and code highlighter) which needs to be installed on this old forum first, then apply the new forum theme,
also there are few SMF files(2 file actually, both of them are Editor mod and code highlight mod) that actually need to be replaced with the modified ones(original file has some bugs, which i fixed in the modified ones).
and even after applying new theme for SMF, it will still use some component from default theme(for some unknown reason..... possibly bugs), so you have to replace some scripts from the default theme as well(i know it sounds like a pain..... but SMF has some serious weirdness).
I will let you know the steps in detail, but i wan't you keep in mind that forum upgrade will require some digging(basically replacing few files).

The website have simple install script that will take care of the main site installation.

Steven

• Administrator
my website administators have blocked access to test.getmusicbee.com due to a spam attack
I have contacted them to re-enable access

AvikB

my website administators have blocked access to test.getmusicbee.com due to a spam attack
I have contacted them to re-enable access

that sucks. Hope they help you out quickly.

Steven

• Administrator
if you are able to access the forum (overnight UK time), could you disable forum registration

Steven

• Administrator
i have access again and disabled the test site forum registration. Its quite shocking how many spam accounts and spam messages there were but i have deleted them all (apologies in advance to any real users who test accounts i deleted by mistake).
If anyone wants to create an account let me know and i will do it manually.
I should be able to do some testing tomorrow

@hiccup, if you are still following this topic, i deleted one of your proposed boards the last time there was a spam attack. Do you recall the forum structure you originally proposed and recognise what is missing?