Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 548373 times)

vpsaxman

move the coffee cup to cover big-nose?

That's an elegant solution to cover the big nosed figurine.

Should the MusicBee logo/text on the home page be a little more eye catching? I came up with this, just playing around;

i am not keen on having something flashy logo, i want to maintain a much more subtle and elegant design.

Maybe just use a larger font?

AvikB

Well, my speakers aren't exactly the high-end type which is why I tried to avoid focusing on them. ;)

A couple of pictures I found on reddit (we'd have to ask permission to use/modify them which I'd be happy to take care of if needed):

unfortunately these images does not have that right angle that makes a good cover image, what i need is a side angle, with a subtle focus on the speaker and monitor(while musicbee opened),
but i highly doubt we could get this by browsing and photoshopping, we need someone who has a good setup with good speaker.

your speakers are good enough(we don't need someone with thousand dollar speaker), but it would be a hassle for you to get a decent angle and reorganizing few things on your desk and get a decent shot.

AvikB

move the coffee cup to cover big-nose?
That's an elegant solution to cover the big nosed figurine.

Should the MusicBee logo/text on the home page be a little more eye catching? I came up with this, just playing around;

i am not keen on having something flashy logo, i want to maintain a much more subtle and elegant design.

Maybe just use a larger font?

I guess that is a good solution. I will probably choose some decent typography and font for the text.

AvikB

a new update is live, bringing tons of bug fixes, and two new feature:

with this update navigation is much more refined, should please some user.

another layout change is the footer, the new one is well organized, i got rid off those extra texts that makes it look too... congested.. and also we have a RSS FEED for the musicbee releases :)
in the past one thing i always struggle is to get notified for the new release(i didn't notice the notify button on the thread until yesterday :P), this will make things easier for most user.

a big thanks to phred for pointing out bugs, and some issues with the addon page, which is fixed. also some spelling mistake is fixed.

AvikB

Another update, this update includes a lots of bugfixes and some improvement suggested by phred and others. also the donation link is now more catching.

bug fix in the RSS feed where it won't show new release updates.

and a BIG CHANGE IN THIS UPDATE is the imgur image upload, it is completely rewritten from the ground up. The previous one was written in javascript and didn't contain a better error management and also it has one BIG security flaw, it exposes my client-id for the imgur, anyone could easily use the client-id and overhead the upload limit.

The new upload is written in php and has better way to dealt with errors.
The change is on the backend so you guys won't notice a single change.

there also numerous changes, more are coming.

BeeBeeKing

Just my opinion, but I think the color gradient makes the page look very bland. Look better with real photo of a person using MusicBee.
I also think the fonts are a bit plain.
What about a rotating slide screen (like on the current homepage) but embedded into a monitor in a real scene, at least that way it is quick and easy to see what MB looks like.

AvikB

Just my opinion, but I think the color gradient makes the page look very bland. Look better with real photo of a person using MusicBee.
I also think the fonts are a bit plain.
What about a rotating slide screen (like on the current homepage) but embedded into a monitor in a real scene, at least that way it is quick and easy to see what MB looks like.

i agree on having a image of person using MusicBee, but someone has to provide a image. I have no idea of how to do it.

as for slide screen i already said

more image = longer loading times

so no i have no plan for sliders.

Ansem

Hi!
I have a suggestion about the whishlist section:
Can you do something like I saw for microsoft? They did a list of the desired new features, and you can give them from 1 to 3 point, but you have only 10 points.
In this way, you can know which are the most desired feature and it's a lot more easy to read for the users too!

AvikB

Hi!
Can you do something like I saw for microsoft? They did a list of the desired new features, and you can give them from 1 to 3 point, but you have only 10 points.
In this way, you can know which are the most desired feature and it's a lot more easy to read for the users too!
What you are asking for is uservoice, it is steven's decision if he wants use uservoice or not, i have no say on this unfortunately. 

Sofocl

Hi!
+1
Sorry for my bad English.

Ansem

Hi!
What you are asking for is uservoice, it is steven's decision if he wants use uservoice or not, i have no say on this unfortunately.
of course he doesn't have to listed to the uservoice, but at least there won't be anymore 10 threads with the same request :)

Steven

• Administrator
well uservoice is $499 pa, so that wont be happening.
In principal i dont want to add functions like this that just add too much complexity and where more things that can wrong/ more support etc

vpsaxman

well uservoice is $499 pa, so that wont be happening.
In principal i dont want to add functions like this that just add too much complexity and where more things that can wrong/ more support etc

This is a free alternative to UserVoice: http://www.userreport.com/

But couldn't something similar be implemented directly on the website rather than use a 3rd party platform? Or am I underestimating how difficult it would be to implement?

vpsaxman

Could something like this work for the header background image or is it not high end enough? (this is my desktop)

I'm trying to figure out what size would be best for that header image in order to put interesting elements in the frame too.

Steven

• Administrator
this looks great. The only suggestion i have is the MusicBee and sub-text may need to be a bit stronger to stand out from the words in the top right corner