Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 548302 times)

Steven

• Administrator
Anyone assigned to "Editor" just has one star (dont ask me why - no idea! - edit: actually its configurable - you are now 5 stars)
Normal users get stars automatically based on posts.
I will likely get rid of the Editor and FAQ topic unless anyone thinks its worth continuing with it

phred

• Global Moderator
I will likely get rid of the Editor and FAQ topic unless anyone thinks its worth continuing with it
I'd find it hard to disagree with you on this. It was a noble attempt, but I think we couldn't reach a consensus on the best way to populate it.
Make it disappear.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

AvikB

I got curious about something that I just noticed: what do the blue and yellow blocks, and their count mean? Most importantly, why do I only have 1 block? It makes me feel a bit disrespected ;-)

😶 didn't recieve any notifications for this. 😑

hiccup

hiccup

There seems to be an increase in spam posts recently. (hopefully temporarily)
An idea came up that might help and improve on fighting and removing them:

I am sure there are quite a few regular forum members who would be willing to help removing those, but don't desire to be an official moderator.

What could perhaps be done:
Create a new user that has privileges to remove spam posts.
Share the login password of that account with the forum members that volunteer for this task.

Then when any of these forum members spot a spampost, they can login using that specific user account and remove the spam.
Also the fact that more of such users will cover more timezones will probably help in removing these spamposts quicker.

sveakul

I'm wondering why recently spam posts are being dealt with by leaving them in the threads for a while empty labeled "spam post/user banned" or similar, instead of just deleting the post altogether after they are reported?  A bit "untidy" looking. They seem to vanish eventually though.

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm wondering why recently spam posts are being dealt with by leaving them in the threads for a while empty labeled "spam post/user banned" or similar, instead of just deleting the post altogether after they are reported?  A bit "untidy" looking. They seem to vanish eventually though.
This is being done because someone who shall remain nameless deleted an entire thread instead of just the spam post within the thread. This happened twice recently. If it's a new thread with only one post in it, then the thread can't be deleted. If it's a 'reply' post to an existing thread, the offending spam can be removed.

What Steven has done was to disable the removal of the entire thread, thereby preventing 'accidents.' The moderators can now delete the text of the spam post along with modifying the spammer's profile (removing spam links in the sig, Yahoo Messenger links, ICQ, etc) but not the username.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

phred

• Global Moderator
OK phred thanks for the info!

This is being done because someone who shall remain nameless deleted an entire thread instead of just the spam post within the thread. This happened twice recently.

In the interest of full disclosure and transparency, I am the guilty party.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

This is being done because someone who shall remain nameless deleted an entire thread instead of just the spam post within the thread.
To me it seems the core issue is not that an admin accidentally deleted more than he intended (who hasn't done that, ever?), but that MusicBee's forum engine doesn't have something in place to undo and restore such a perfectly understandable human error.

Windows has had a recycle bin since 1894. (or maybe a little bit later, I'm not completely sure)
Doesn't SMF have some recycle bin feature for deleted posts/threads?
If the experts say 'no', so be it. But a quick and lazy google search led me to this:
https://www.smfsupport.com/support/guides-and-tutorials/accidentally-deleted-member%27s-post-is-there-someplacesomehow-to-recover-it/
Perhaps it contains some useful information that could prevent issues like these and make it less of a walking on thin ice exercise to manage and delete spam posts.

edit:
Oops, forgot this:
Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 11:41:31 PM by hiccup

AvikB

This is being done because someone who shall remain nameless deleted an entire thread instead of just the spam post within the thread.
To me it seems the core issue is not that an admin accidentally deleted more than he intended (who hasn't done that, ever?), but that MusicBee's forum engine doesn't have something in place to undo and restore such a perfectly understandable human error. Windows has had a recycle bin since 1894. (or maybe a little bit later, I'm not completely sure) Doesn't SMF have some recycle bin feature for deleted posts/threads? If the experts say 'no', so be it. But a quick and lazy google search led me to this: https://www.smfsupport.com/support/guides-and-tutorials/accidentally-deleted-member%27s-post-is-there-someplacesomehow-to-recover-it/ Perhaps it contains some useful information that could prevent issues like these and make it less of a walking on thin ice exercise to manage and delete spam posts. edit: Oops, forgot this:

A bit late reply. But i don't have any clue about the restoring of deleted post. I did check the link you posted and i think it is something Steven can enable in the forum admin panel.

hiccup

Addressed to 'you know who':

Not important, not a big issue, but it did surprise me, and it prohibited me to respond to a certain pm.

AvikB

Addressed to 'you know who': Not important, not a big issue, but it did surprise me, and it prohibited me to respond to a certain pm.
oh no 😐😐. It seems like this limit is set via the admin panel 😅

AvikB

Addressed to 'you know who': Not important, not a big issue, but it did surprise me, and it prohibited me to respond to a certain pm.
'you know who' will be waiting for a day for your response 😎😉😆