Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 559577 times)

AvikB

ok my mistake. I did send the images to steven. But the directory to place the image is slightly different.
I will ask him to update that.

boroda

Ok I took some screenshots but i can't figure out how to attach them to this post.  The image button wants a url and won't let me upload my screenshots.

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=3998.0

thanks.   I guess I have to do it the long way around then.   Most forums takes photos directly.   

AvikB, this has been requested many times and I want to bump it: maybe its not too difficult to make auto-uploading of images to imgur (or another image hosting site) like its already done for add-on submission?

AvikB

AvikB, this has been requested many times and I want to bump it: maybe its not too difficult to make auto-uploading of images to imgur (or another image hosting site) like its already done for add-on submission?

The WYSIWYG editor on the forum is a plugin. and it is a buggy one. I had to modify somethings to atleast get it working. It has not been updated for years. I tried adding imgur support(with youtube video embed) but i couldn't figure it out. I have no experience with modifying or creating plugins unfortunately.

Also since the next major forum version SMF 3.0 already has a WIP editor i didn't bother.(it is been in development for 7 YEARS!!!)

For addon submission, it is a bit different. The markdown editor i used in there, i already have experience working on it. also it is much more stable. The imgur upload system is a custom php backend system that i made for that purpose.
porting that over to SMF would require some modification to this already buggy editor.... which i don't want to.

Maybe if SMF had native support for markdown instead of the BBCODE i could just use the markdown editor that i have for addon submission.

zkhcohen

Hi,

When I try to submit a plugin to the website through my Dashboard, it only works if I select "This plugin is in beta."

If I don't select that option, when I post it the red error message appears.

When I try to copy the error text, nothing ends up in my clipboard.
Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 07:30:53 PM by Steven

hiccup

Over the years, inserting a screenshot to a post is a recurring challenge for many forum members.

I stumbled upon an addon for SMF that adds an 'add image to post' button to the posting interface.

It's this:

https://postimages.org/plugins
https://postimages.org/smf

I have no knowledge or experience with this postimages organisation, so I can't vouch for it's workings, but it might be worth a shot?

hiccup

I have no knowledge or experience with this postimages organisation, so I can't vouch for it's workings, but it might be worth a shot?

I just tried out the upload image feature using the 'Upload' button on their main website to give it a testdrive.

Bad news:
While the options look very nice, it created forum image links that had advertisement links added to them.

So this PostImages organisation seems to be a dishonest bunch and would be a bad choice for our forum.

So, fuggetaboutit.

AvikB

I just tried out the upload image feature using the 'Upload' button on their main website to give it a testdrive. Bad news: While the options look very nice, it created forum image links that had advertisement links added to them. So this PostImages organisation seems to be a dishonest bunch and would be a bad choice for our forum. So, fuggetaboutit.

I don't understand how hard it is for user to simply upload the image on imgur and then paste tge link here:

:-\

hiccup

I don't understand how hard it is for user to simply upload the image on imgur and then paste tge link here:

Me neither.
Still, it seems to be very hard for some.

At least as difficult as finding and reading tips&tricks on the matter. ;-)

A thought:
In the 'Start new topic' panel, perhaps a link called something like 'How to add a screenshot to your post' with a link to tips&tricks could be added?

AvikB

yeah it is possible, although not sure if anyone would even bother clicking it.

hiccup

It seems the most obvious location for such a link to me.
And it would be very hard to miss by somebody creating a post.

As a follow-up thought:

There are now three sticky howto's on posting a screenshot by three different forum members.
If this idea gets support, it would probably be good if a moderator would create one single post, assembling the different options explained in these separate posts together.

And then, as time and technology progresses, that tutorial would need to be kept updated when there are new developments.

So a mod would need to support this idea too before implementing it.

AvikB

It seems the most obvious location for such a link to me. And it would be very hard to miss by somebody creating a post. As a follow-up thought: There are now three sticky howto's on posting a screenshot by three different forum members. If this idea gets support, it would probably be good if a moderator would create one single post, assembling the different options explained in these separate posts together. And then, as time and technology progresses, that tutorial would need to be kept updated when there are new developments. So a mod would need to support this idea too before implementing it.
Well if everyone agrees to this, i will implement this. 

This won't be much of an hassle.  8)

hiccup

It seems the most obvious location for such a link to me. And it would be very hard to miss by somebody creating a post. As a follow-up thought: There are now three sticky howto's on posting a screenshot by three different forum members. If this idea gets support, it would probably be good if a moderator would create one single post, assembling the different options explained in these separate posts together. And then, as time and technology progresses, that tutorial would need to be kept updated when there are new developments. So a mod would need to support this idea too before implementing it.
Well if everyone agrees to this, i will implement this.

This won't be much of an hassle.  8)

Great, let's await that.

And... thanks for your fast and alert response, as ever.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If this idea gets support, it would probably be good if a moderator would create one single post, assembling the different options explained in these separate posts together.

It's a simple matter to merge posts, and weed out unneeded replies.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)