Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 575860 times)

hiccup

Someone answer me, I know how to send private messages on this layout, but so far I haven't found the Inbox of these messages, does anyone know where it is?
The 'bell' icon to the right of the person icon (or avatar) at the top of the page
Thanks. I thought that this icon was to alert when my name was mentioned in some topic, wrong assumption.

@AvikB,

I do like the 'bell' icon, but it seems it isn't obvious for all users that it is to get to their messages.
Perhaps change it to the more traditional envelope, or text-balloon icon?
searching the forum:    method 1   ·   method 2   ·   method 3                            latest MusicBee patches:   here                            all virtual tag functions:   here

Steven

• Administrator
I dont disagree with some of the points made around the home page image. My view is it works well for most people (colours, mood, not being obtrusive and focusing on the player image) - but if you are critically focussing on it then yes it can be improved. What i suggest is when AvikB is engaged to look at further enhancements, people have ready any images that might be good replacements. It might be a good idea to set up a separate topic if you have a good candidate image and want to reach a consensus.

redwing

What i suggest is when AvikB is engaged to look at further enhancements, people have ready any images that might be good replacements. It might be a good idea to set up a separate topic if you have a good candidate image and want to reach a consensus.

Actually we already went through the process. I agree some people might have better ideas now, but it would be no point if AvikB is gonna dismiss it again for whatever reasons.

As I said people liked the yellow speakers image vpsaxman suggested and no one complained about it before AvikB dropped it:

And this was a mockup I made with the image:

TeutonJon78

I looked wonderful.

One bug/feature missing I noticed -- on the forums' topic lists, there isn't no page jump navigation widget at the bottom on the page. There is one at the bottom of the comments inside a topic though.

It makes it a lot more work to scroll back to the top to go to the next page each time.

phred

• Global Moderator
One bug/feature missing I noticed -- on the forums' topic lists, there isn't no page jump navigation widget at the bottom on the page. There is one at the bottom of the comments inside a topic though.

It makes it a lot more work to scroll back to the top to go to the next page each time.
That's already been reported in the 'new website & forum bugs" topic: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=19360.0
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

redwing

That's already been reported in the 'new website & forum bugs" topic: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=19360.0

No, actually on this topic:

Navigating through pages on each board (e.g. General, Skins) is not easy. Looks like the only way to go to the previous/next page is clicking on a page number on the top of the page. I'd suggest put another page number buttons on the bottom as well. Also add Back(<), Next(>), 10 page back (<<), 10 page after (>>) buttons on both top and bottom of each page. If we can type a "go to page number" as well, that'd be great.

Edit: Just noticed clicking on page numbers expands the list. With the longest General board, to fully expand the page number list requires 6 clicks - not that bad. But still want to see all the usual buttons except typing page number request.

And probably a few more same requests were posted later.

AvikB

Sorry guys for no reply in almost two week. My internet adapter got burned(fixed today). I am back, it will take me some time to read all these while i was away.
i will try to reply and fix the complains if possible.

redwing

When trying to sign out, get this error sometimes.

Looks like it happens when you have multiple tabs of the forum open and trying to sign out from the tab that you did not use when signing in.

redwing

Dashboard shows the download count of add-ons only for top ten.
Would be great if "View all add-ons" shows download count for all add-ons.

AvikB

Navigating through pages on each board (e.g. General, Skins) is not easy. Looks like the only way to go to the previous/next page is clicking on a page number on the top of the page. I'd suggest put another page number buttons on the bottom as well.
Ok, i will add it. To be honest i actually removed it since i thought one at the top would be enough.

Also add Back(<), Next(>), 10 page back (<<), 10 page after (>>) buttons on both top and bottom of each page. If we can type a "go to page number" as well, that'd be great. Edit: Just noticed clicking on page numbers expands the list. With the longest General board, to fully expand the page number list requires 6 clicks - not that bad. But still want to see all the usual buttons except typing page number request.
This is not possible with just theming. It will require a mod or editing more of the SMF's core files. which is not really a focus.

AvikB

And to possibly prevent some confusion when discussing this, there is a difference between looking at a post by choosing 'recent topics', or from within it's own thread. In the first case there is not so much 'white' but the attention is first and mainly drawn to: - the very large and bold post # - the bold header - the buttons at the top right And finally to the message itself (which should be the most prominent in my opinion) In the second case, the main attention goes to the message itself (black), and secondly to the header (grey). I like that a whole lot better. But that one has quite a lot of 'white' surrounding the text.

Not gonna fix it because can't say what i am looking to fix here :P,  If you have any suggestion i am all ear.
Just use the dark theme and be happy. (i never use the white theme)

AvikB

Dashboard shows the download count of add-ons only for top ten. Would be great if "View all add-ons" shows download count for all add-ons.
Is it absolutely required? The top ten add-ons are not generated by ONLY the download count but likes count as well. also downloads are count per IP per account(which are then recorded).

redwing

I meant "view all add-ons" section in the user's dashboard. If you have uploaded more than ten add-ons, no way to know download count of the others except top ten.

AvikB

Lastly, not counting Steven, there seem to be only two active mods (hiccup and myself.) I can't speak for Steven or hiccup, but I'm not sitting at my computer all day waiting to see if something needs approval. So it's entirely possible approvals could take a day or two.
There are only two other moderators left from the original six set up by Steven. Looking at the top ten posters from the stats page, maybe redwing and psychoadept might be interested in becoming moderators, to bring the moderator numbers back up to the original level.
right now only one add-on is required to get approved before you can submit freely. I highly doubt we need another mod.

Steven

• Administrator
Also add Back(<), Next(>), 10 page back (<<), 10 page after (>>) buttons on both top and bottom of each page. If we can type a "go to page number" as well, that'd be great. Edit: Just noticed clicking on page numbers expands the list. With the longest General board, to fully expand the page number list requires 6 clicks - not that bad. But still want to see all the usual buttons except typing page number request.
This is not possible with just theming. It will require a mod or editing more of the SMF's core files. which is not really a focus.
I want to back that up - anything that requires modding SMF core files is a risk for things to go wrong when they do security patches or when the time comes to upgrade the SMF version