Author Topic: "The" sorting works quixotically  (Read 2443 times)

jokrump

Apologies. I feel someone must have asked this question before but it's fairly difficult to search for relevant posts as "The" is an ignored term in the search field. I also tried to search for only "ignore sort" but the results were all over the place.

I've included "The" as an ignored term in preferences -> Tags (2). However, the sorting isn't "The" agnostic.

1 - In the "Artist" column on my top left, "The" doesn't affect sort order but it does create a discrete entry relative to the same name without "The". Example: "Foo Fighters" and "The Foo Fighters" are two different entries with "The Fool Fighters" below "Foo Fighters" arranged alphabetically 0-Z. Of course, I probably need to rename one of the field to the proper entry, but my preference here would be that the entries with and without "The" are collated together.

2 - The "Album" column on my top right is more straightforward. It simple ignores that I placed "The" as an ignored term. All albums entries starting with "The" are alphabetically grouped together in the T section.

I would appreciate any help in correcting this behavior. Thank you

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
1) There are ways to work around this with a virtual tag, but making your tags consistent is probably the better solution.

2) The album column is working okay for me.  Can you post screenshots of your "Ignore words" box and the column browser?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

jokrump

1) There are ways to work around this with a virtual tag, but making your tags consistent is probably the better solution.

2) The album column is working okay for me.  Can you post screenshots of your "Ignore words" box and the column browser?

Thanks for the quick reply. This reply field / forum doesn't have image posting options, so I'm sending you a link to an imgur album. Hopefully, it works. I'm also including examples of this behavior extending to "A". Look for "The Foo Fighters" and "A Hawk and a Hacksaw" in the artist column, as well.

https://imgur.com/a/mhXco

phred

• Global Moderator

2) The album column is working okay for me.  Can you post screenshots of your "Ignore words" box and the column browser?
This reply field / forum doesn't have image posting options, so I'm sending you a link to an imgur album.
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=16499.msg96287#msg96287
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm guessing the problem is the Album [Year] field, instead of just Album.  I suggest you make a wishlist request to support the sort order for that field.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)