Author Topic: MusicBrainz Picard q & a thread  (Read 89843 times)

voodoopunk

Hi frakuaku,

I'm pretty sure titles are shown, if you select a song rather than the album. As you can see the title is different across 10 items as you would expect.

Can't really help with the replay gain, it looks though as if one track doesn't have replay gain, as stated.

hiccup

Why do ReplayGain tags seems "missing from x items"?
That's because the 6th track was not matched, so it can't show any tagging information for it.

For some reason you have track 6 positioned at #9.
Just drag it to position 6 and you should have a perfect match for the whole album.

frankuaku

• MusicBee lover
Thanks a lot for the suggestion: it worked! Anyway, titles are not showing; I think that the problem resides in the fact that I'm using your scripts from the genre tagging topic, and in particolar to the one that unsets all tags apart from genre.

There are some problems with track length: in some songs, its value would be brown, so I think it would overwrite it when I click on save.

Example:

hiccup

I think that the problem resides in the fact that I'm using your scripts from the genre tagging topic, and in particolar to the one that unsets all tags apart from genre.
The script prevents <title> to be updated or overwritten.
If you remove the entry $unset(title) from the script, Picard will show the titles. (and update them when there is a difference)
You can then also add 'title' to Options > Tags > Prevent these tags from being cleared or overwritten…
Then they will show, but not get updated.

There are some problems with track length: in some songs, its value would be brown, so I think it would overwrite it when I click on save.
There will very often be small variations in the duration of tracks.
It can depend on thing such as how your files have them calculated, or e.g. small differences between releases. (some may have a few seconds of silence added to a track)
The 'length' fields are to be considered a helpful indication.
It wouldn't make sense to have Picard overwrite the duration information that is in your files, since the one in your files will (usually be) be correct.

By the way, Picard has a very extensive tutorial available: https://picard-docs.musicbrainz.org/en/index.html , and they also have an active forum that will contain answers to a lot of questions. There are also some very knowledgeable and helpful people over there.

edit:
Looking at the screenshot it looks like you are using id3v2.3, and not 2.4?
Maybe you are doing that on purpose, but be aware that your genres will now not be 'proper' multi-value tags using semicolons.
Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 03:43:14 PM by hiccup

frankuaku

• MusicBee lover
Looking at the screenshot it looks like you are using id3v2.3, and not 2.4?
Maybe you are doing that on purpose, but be aware that your genres will now not be 'proper' multi-value tags using semicolons.

Yes, I am doing it on purpose.

Anyway, another problem: I tagged some files with Picard and MusicBee removed them automatically from my library. I tried rescanning several times, but nothing worked. If I reach them in the Computer node, they are shown in their folders and they play properly (with the new tags).

alec.tron

Hi.
A quick question for those following Picard closely: Is it possible (now) to reroute and/or disable all Tag write/mappings ?
i.e. I'd want to pump Musicbrainz genre value to a custom field, and disable artist name/album/track name writing altogether. I checked the documentation again, but from that it's not clear if these (https://picard-docs.musicbrainz.org/downloads/MusicBrainz_Picard_Tag_Map.html) can be rerouted and/or disabled.

Cheers.
c.

hiccup

Is it possible (now) to reroute and/or disable all Tag write/mappings ?
Check this out: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=35975.msg196795#msg196795
The second script prevents Picard writing any tag.

hiccup

For those interested, Picard 2.9 was released today: https://blog.metabrainz.org/2023/07/26/picard-2-9-released/

note:
One change that may be relevant in relation to MusicBee is that Picard now uses ID3v2.4 by default.
(the update to ID3 that was released 23 years ago to succeed v2.3  ;-)

So if you already haven't adjusted MusicBee to use 2.4 for MP3 files this might be a good moment to do so.
(or change Picard's setting so it reverts to using 2.3)
Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 09:12:32 PM by hiccup

hiccup

Picard was updated to v2.9.2
(2.9 and 2.9.1 had some minor issues, but I am very confident about 2.9.2)

Dizza17

Hi All,

I am wanting to start using the grouping tag for a few of the albums I’ve got ie box set, Remastered etc. After going over the Tag  mapping docs I see that Picard doesn’t write this by default and the only plugin that writes it is no longer available (a Last.fm plugin I think).

Am I missing something simple,  like a simple script to get the relevant tags? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

hiccup

I am wanting to start using the grouping tag for a few of the albums I’ve got ie box set, Remastered etc.

I'm pretty sure both are currently not possible to retrieve.

Box set is a problem, because the boys and girls at MusicBrainz haven't come to an agreement if boxset is a valid release attribute, since some believe 'compilation' already covers those, and 'box set' is a difficult to define concept.
(I agree with making boxset an official release type b.t.w.)

Here is the (ongoing) discussion on the matter. You could contribute to it to help convince them.
(or to this one ;-)

Attributes such as 'remaster' are not regular and retrievable tags at MusicBrainz.
They are in a so called 'disambiguation' field.

You could post a request at MusicBrainz Picard board for making it possible for Picard to retrieve them.
(I myself am not aware of a plugin that can do this)

b.t.w.
You could easily add tags such as 'boxset' and 'remaster' to a release yourself as 'other tags'.
Then they can be retrieved by Picard by allowing it to retrieve 'folksonomy' tags.

Mr. Trev

I have created a "send to" option for Picard (using the "<URLs>" parameter) and it had been working as intended so far. I have Picard set to auto-cluster the files, but since updating to v2.9, it isn't happening anymore. If I load the folder/files directly from Picard (as opposed to using "send to") the auto-cluster does happen.
This is a minor niggle, and I was just wondering if anybody else has noticed the same behaviour

hiccup

I have created a "send to" option for Picard (using the "<URLs>" parameter) and it had been working as intended so far. I have Picard set to auto-cluster the files, but since updating to v2.9, it isn't happening anymore.
This seems like something that has been changed on the Picard side, and not with MusicBee.
Best report it here.
It's the thread about the (soon) upcoming 2.10 version of Picard that has the same behaviour as 2.9 regarding this issue.
(I checked and can confirm that it worked as expected with e.g. Picard 2.8 )

I do know there have been some elemental changes to Picard with regards to Windows portable versions and command line options lately.
This is probably related to that.
Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 07:04:03 PM by hiccup

Dizza17

I'm noticing the last few releases of picard have been quite buggy (windows portable). I know they have been making a few back of house changes but i felt it was running very reliable up until recently.

hiccup

I'm noticing the last few releases of picard have been quite buggy (windows portable). I know they have been making a few back of house changes but i felt it was running very reliable up until recently.
I'm not sure if I agree with the description 'buggy'.
Some releases briefly before 2.9.2 did have some issues, but 2.9.2 has been very reliable for me.
The developers of Picard have been making some fundamental changes to some of its intestines, so that could be related to what Mr. Trev is experiencing.
If he reports it on MusicBrainz's Picard forum (he hasn't yet), I'm sure they will take a look at it.

B.T.W.
Picard 2.10 was released today.
Recommended.