Author Topic: Album showing wrong cover art  (Read 457 times)

sparkles

REVISED QUESTIONS:

1. Please recommend your best program, i.e., simple and free, to rip and tag files. I also need the ability to replace an album's cover image. It would be best for me to retire MusicBee due to incompatibility with my needs.

2.  When I browse the music files on my computer (File Explorer on a Windows 10 machine), I don't see the correct album art. Whatever music file I click on first gives me a preview and every other album I look at shows the same preview image. If I close FE and go back in and look at a different album first, then all the previews show me that album art. How do I fix this? This is probably a question for a Windows forum, but maybe some kind soul here will have some info and be willing to help me out.

-----------
ORIGINAL POST:

I have searched the forum, but do not understand any of the info I've found. Can you help a very confused and novice user?

I ripped an album. It's showing the wrong image for the cover art. I found the correct image. I pasted it into the folder where the music is. I deleted the old AlbumArtSmall.jpg and renamed the correct image file to AlbumArtSmall.jpg. The wrong image still displayed when I clicked on one of the music files. I deleted the old Folder.jpg and made another copy of the correct image file and renamed it to Folder.jpg. The wrong image still displayed when I clicked on one of the music files. I don't understand how that can happen since I deleted the old, wrong image files. How do I get the music files to display the correct image?

I went through some previously ripped music, and see a lot of wrong images. So I have been screwing things up for a while, apparently.

Important Note #1: I only use MusicBee to rip albums. Once I rip an album, I manually move it out of the MusicBee library/folder. My music files are structured with one folder for each artist/group. Within that folder, each album is a separate folder. I upload these files to an external drive and use Sonos to play music from there.

Important Note #2: I do *not* understand one bit of MusicBee logic. I do not really understand any of the settings. I will not be able to do even the simplest things with it unless you. List. Out. Every. Single. Step. Seriously, I'm about as ignorant as one can get and still manage to rip an album.
Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 03:46:59 PM by sparkles

frankz

A little straight talk here.

Why do you continue to use a program you do not understand, and do not care to try to understand for three years running, to do something that's not even its core function?

Not trying to be offensive, but (as you've seen and commented on) Musicbee is WAY overkill for what you're using it to do (rip CDs).

I recommend using a program that specializes in ripping and tagging CDs if what you want to do is rip and tag CDs.  There will be, of course, settings to learn, but at least they're all related to what you're actually doing with the program, and you won't be bogged down in pages of menus unrelated to what you're doing.  I use CueRipper personally.  Others use EAC.

I also don't understand why it matters that Musicbee shows the wrong image when you click a file if you're doing all of your listening in Sonos.  What image does Sonos show?

Someone may be able to jump in here and give you a step by step walkthrough of what to do to solve your problem, and that will be great until the next thing goes wrong.  Then you'll be back to staring at 10 pages of menus and options that have nothing to do with what you're trying to achieve trying to figure out what to do.  This can be avoided by using a screwdriver to turn screws rather than a swiss army knife.
Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 05:53:51 AM by frankz

vincent kars

Album art is stored in the audio file just like any other tag. That is why deleting *.JPG won't work.

sparkles

franz, you're absolutely right! I'd love to use something else so thank you for those suggestions!

I'm sure MusicBee is a great program for some, for me it's overkill and overwhelming. A well-intentioned but misguided person was trying to be helpful and set me up with it and it's been nothing but misery for me. I don't understand this stuff enough to even find an alternative. I will check into the programs you mentioned.

vincent kars, I discovered an issue with File Explorer (description added to my first post). However, some albums do indeed have the wrong cover art. Can you - or anyone else - recommend a program to let me fix that?

The reason why I need the images to be correct is because I'm a very visual person and need to see the cover art when I'm browsing my music library in the Sonos program.

I will update my initial post with my revised questions.
Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 03:49:24 PM by sparkles

hiccup

I will check into the programs you mentioned.
dBpoweramp also has a very nice CD-ripper.
But if I am not mistaken you'll need to buy the complete software suite to be able to use it. (beyond the trial period)
Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 03:41:04 PM by hiccup

frankz

franz, you're absolutely right! I'd love to use something else so thank you for those suggestions!
I am happy to see that you took my comments in the helpful tone I was trying to convey.

EAC is probably the easier of the two to set up and use. 

If even EAC proves to be too complicated, the author seems to have created a simplified (paid) version called Easy Audio Copy.  Can't vouch for that as I haven't used it, but it's there and has a trial period.

I am sure you will find something to do exactly what you want and none of what you don't.  Good luck.