Author Topic: Exclude selected sub-folders from library (solved)  (Read 5443 times)

brianzech

First, the normal stuff. I am using version 2.5.5708. View is set to Main Player only and theme is MusicBee Standard. I have the last.fm, cd art display and discogs plugins enabled. I encoders installed for all conversion types. My main view (the whole screen, is album art cover with 2 lines of text under, album artists then album.

Here is my problem. I have many albums that have subfolders. These subfolders are normally wanted to be included, like a CD1 and CD2 type thing. Some subfolders however, I do not want subfolders included. These folders mostly contain added content like HTML extras. The problem is they include audio data and MusicBee includes them as a separate album. My grouping is set for each album to be organized into its own folder, which it is. I am able to manually delete them from the library, but each time I update the library, I need to go through and find them all again and delete them.

I did find that I can select folders in the Choose Folders option when Scan Folders for New Files is used. Problem is that when I do this, I browse to the main folder that should be included, expand it and deselect the subfolder, it also deselects the main folder. Once all are not selected, if I select the main folder, it includes the subfolder. So, it appears I cannot deselect subfolders within an included folder.

My music file structure is as follows:
<DRIVE>\Music\Full Albums\<ALBUM>\<ANY_SUBFOLDERS>
My starting selection is to include the entire "Full Albums" folder.

A directory tree is as follows:
>Full Albums
    > Album 1
        > Unwanted subfolder
    > album 2
        > wanted subfolder
    > album 3
    > album 4

Any help would be appreciated. If more details is needed, just ask. Thanks.
Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 10:36:08 AM by brianzech

Alumni

If it were me, I'd create a filter to hide those unwanted files from my library view - using custom tags.

brianzech

I see. Question, would I have to add each individual file with that? I do not see a way to filter an entire directory. I do see how this is a solution though, by filtering by file name or by a tag needing to written to each file though.

One problem I have on the file name option, the name very well could be used elsewhere, and in most cases as the music in these folders are supplementary to some sort of other media, is the case. Can I use the file name option and add path to a wildcard name? ex ..\<album?\*.*

MODIFIED: Ok, I feel stupid. This is probably why there is a "Path" selection. Missed it. I believe this will work. Thank you.
Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 09:34:11 AM by brianzech

brianzech

Ok, I have added a filter to include a common portion is almost all of these subfolders. With the filter there, added from Preferences -> Library  -> Music Library -> Define Filters, nothing changes on my view. Is it possible I am missing a place to apply the filters to the view? I also do not see an option to say what to do with the filter. Meaning, include via filter, exclude via filter, etc.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8878 P
I am able to manually delete them from the library, but each time I update the library, I need to go through and find them all again and delete them.

My music file structure is as follows:
<DRIVE>\Music\Full Albums\<ALBUM>\<ANY_SUBFOLDERS>
My starting selection is to include the entire "Full Albums" folder.

I'm assuming from this that you have:
<DRIVE>\Music\
set up as your monitored folder in
Preferences> Library> monitored folders

You can exclude the sub-folders from being rescanned in the 'Choose Folders' menu.
Then when you manually delete the unwanted sub-folder items from the library, they won't be re-loaded back in on the next scan.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

hiccup

nothing changes on my view. Is it possible I am missing a place to apply the filters to the view? I also do not see an option to say what to do with the filter. Meaning, include via filter, exclude via filter, etc.

You should find them in the left library pane (which you probably have hidden)
If the filters don't show directly below 'music', right click 'music', and select filters> show filters.
From there you can also manage/edit them.

brianzech

You should find them in the left library pane (which you probably have hidden)
If the filters don't show directly below 'music', right click 'music', and select filters> show filters.
From there you can also manage/edit them.

Yes, I see them there. I incorrectly assumed that Preferences would contain all settings and going through menus would just provide bits of what is in there. The filter works perfectly there. I can also see that it "shows" what the filter says, so that is also answered.
Thank you for your reply, this does make a working solution.

I'm assuming from this that you have:
<DRIVE>\Music\
set up as your monitored folder in
Preferences> Library> monitored folders

You can exclude the sub-folders from being rescanned in the 'Choose Folders' menu.
Then when you manually delete the unwanted sub-folder items from the library, they won't be re-loaded back in on the next scan.

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I am not using Monitored Folders. I scan manually when I desire to do so via File -> Scan Folder for New Files. In there, there is a selection for folders, same as you mentioned, by description at least. I will give this idea a try as well, a change in how I do things, but is the way I wanted to solve it if it works by not looking at those folders. Thanks again, assuming it works (as the way I am doing the choose folder does not), this would be another valid solution.