Author Topic: Tools>Manage Duplicates - attributes field  (Read 1746 times)

dbenutzen

Can anyone tell me how the information in the 'attributes' field is derived when using the Tools>Manage Duplicates feature? I have two different versions of the same track, one in WAV format and the other in FLAC. The WAV file is described in the attributes field as "lossy 1411" while the FLAC version is described as "lossless". I've always operated under the assumption that both formats were lossless.

Zak

• Global Moderator
Just tried it myself and got the same.
WAV is certainly lossless - it's about as lossless as you can get  :P - so it appears to be a bug with the text displayed in the attributes column.
Bee excellent to each other...

dbenutzen

Thanks for the response. I was concerned that my WAV files might be corrupted or that my WAV encoder was somehow faulty. Seems less likely now.

hiccup

WAV is certainly lossless - it's about as lossless as you can get

In practice and for the scope of this question/topic you are right that wav will almost always presents itself lossless.
But, theoretically it doesn't have to be, since wav is a container format.
Usually it contains pcm (lossless), but it can also contain lossy audio codecs such as gsm and mp3 codecs or even lossy surround channels.

Please consider this a useless addition to this topic, but, facts are facts and knowledge is power ;-)