Author Topic: Replace dB with LUFS, and have a 'loudness' tag.  (Read 15321 times)

Zak

• Global Moderator
Skimmed over the thread, but previous posters seem familiar (perhaps overly so) with the technical details of replay gain and volume adjustment.
Keep in mind MusicBee is used by a lot more people who have no idea how this stuff works than those that do.
I hope any changes aren't made at the cost of five threads a week asking "What's an LU?". Or compatibility with (most) other programs that still use the old replay gain tags and values.
Bee excellent to each other...

hiccup

I understand your arguments, but MusicBee would not have had the quality (well, superiority ;-) that it has now if all the underlying details had not been thought over, discussed and tested by people who are willing and able to dive into the deep a bit more than the average user.
So this thread should in my opinion me considered to be just that.
I am sure everybody here agrees the end-result should be some perfect mix between as much technical perfection and useful options, and usability for a wide range of users. Thanks to the unbelievable work and wisdom of Steven in this, we have grown very accustomed to that.

To answer your worries about confused newbies or less adventurous users, I took it upon myself to try and write a tutorial on this 'loudness normalization' matter.

I just finished the first draft, it's here:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=15833.0

I am sure it's not complete, it's not perfect lay-out wise, and might even contain stone-cold errors.

Anybody following this subject with interest, and having an opinion and suggestions on any level: please give your feedback on the tutorial I wrote. I will change it with all sensible input you might throw at me.

Maybe it's best to post your response to that tutorial in this Wish topic you are reading right now, (yes, now) so we can keep that Tips and Tricks topic as clean as possible.

hiccup

And an additional third wish on this matter:
If and when this is going to happen, it would also be a good moment to change the occurrences of the wordings such as 'volume analysis', 'volume leveling' etc. to the correct wordings 'loudness analysis', 'loudness leveling'.

The first reason for this is that 'loudness' is just the correct terminology here, which is also used in all papers and publications on R128/bs1770.
Second reason, 'volume normalization' is an old concept with different workings. It made loud passages in a track less loud, and soft sounds louder. So it actually changed the content (the volume of the waveform so to speak), and limited the dynamics to make sure you could hear the softer parts also at a lower volume setting.

(I'll also add this to the start post to keep the three wishes on this subject 'together')

hiccup

I took it upon myself to try and write a tutorial on this 'loudness normalization' matter.
I just finished the first draft, it's here:  http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=15833.0
I am sure it's not complete, it's not perfect lay-out wise, and might even contain stone-cold errors.
Anybody following this subject with interest, and having an opinion and suggestions on any level: please give your feedback on the tutorial I wrote. I will change it with all sensible input you might throw at me.
Maybe it's best to post your response to that tutorial in this Wish topic you are reading right now, (yes, now) so we can keep that Tips and Tricks topic as clean as possible.

Zero responses. I guess my 'tutorial' is stunningly perfect then.  ;-)