Author Topic: Shuffling and sorting  (Read 1662 times)

Thalyr

I was looking for a new music player and I really like MusicBee. It does most things the way I want except for one thing: the shuffling is driving me crazy. I've been searching the wiki and the forum for hours but I simply cannot get it to do what I want. I'll explain with some screenshots.

http://postimg.org/image/5ir4iolz9/
This is how I want it to look like: on the left side I can sort and browse the tracks in any way without changing the play order. On the right side the Now Playing panel shows the order in which the tracks are played, giving me a quick overview of which tracks will be next. I was able to do this by disabling shuffle, adding the playlist to the queue and then shuffling the queue (right click -> List -> Shuffle List)

When I select a different track in the right panel everything works as expected. It starts playing that track without changing the play order. Of course this is easy with a handful of tracks, but in a large playlist it becomes impossible to find a certain track.

But when I select a track  in the left panel this happens:
http://postimg.org/image/9azkjx3e3/
The queue is cleared and filled again using the same filter and sort order as the left panel.

Enabling shuffle does not help, then the the right panel no longer displays the tracks in the order they will be played.

I realize all of this is probably working as designed, I am just hoping there is a way around this so I can get my familiar "workflow" back :). Any of the following would be helpful:
- Selecting a track in the left panel has the same behavior as selecting one in the Now Playing panel.
- Sorting the Now Playing panel using the play order when shuffle is enabled.
- Double-clicking a track causes the "Queue Next" action instead of the "Play Now" action.
- Automatically shuffle the Now Playing list every time I select a track in the left panel (same as right click -> List -> Shuffle List).

In case anyone is wondering, what I' describing was possible in earlier versions of iTunes. The reason I'm looking for another player is because it is no longer possible in iTunes 12.

Many thanks!

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8878 P
Any of the following would be helpful:
- Selecting a track in the left panel has the same behavior as selecting one in the Now Playing panel.
- Sorting the Now Playing panel using the play order when shuffle is enabled.
- Double-clicking a track causes the "Queue Next" action instead of the "Play Now" action.
- Automatically shuffle the Now Playing list every time I select a track in the left panel (same as right click -> List -> Shuffle List).

I think most of these are already available under
Preferences> Now Playing

- Selecting a track in the left panel has the same behavior as selecting one in the Now Playing panel
Not 100% sure on this one as I don't use the option, but I think that's "playback follows cursor"

- Sorting the Now Playing panel using the play order when shuffle is enabled
right-click on a playlist item: List> Update Play Order

- Double-clicking a track causes the "Queue Next" action instead of the "Play Now" action
double-click and 'Now Play' actions can be adjusted under
Preferences> Now Playing> now playing list

- Automatically shuffle the Now Playing list every time I select a track in the left panel (same as right click -> List -> Shuffle List)
I think this is the only one that can't be done.  You can add this to the MusicBee Wish List, but be advised that no action is currently being taken on any wish list requests, as Steven is busy working on version 3.0.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Thalyr

- Double-clicking a track causes the "Queue Next" action instead of the "Play Now" action
double-click and 'Now Play' actions can be adjusted under
Preferences> Now Playing> now playing list

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for :).