Author Topic: Easy Missing File Relocation  (Read 5177 times)

J24

• Love music of all genres and cultures
This is my suggestion for easier relocation of missing files:

1. When trying to play a missing file, a pop up appears that lets you paste the new file location (e.g D:\Music\new location).

2. When a file is relocated, other missing files from the same album are automatically relocated (maybe a prompt would pop up saying "Relocate other files from the same album?")

3. When you right click a group of selected missing files there is an option to scan a specific folder or group of folders to find the missing files.

4. When files are relocated, data stored in the MB library (play count, date added, etc) is preserved. Currently, MB does not keep the play count and date added of a file when it's relocated.
Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 05:26:52 AM by Jorge24
I'm addicted to meth, that is, methadata.
Wanna share music recommendations? add me on Last.fm!

Nightcall

+1

Or the easiest way: when you click File/Scan Folders for New Files show a checkbox to locate missing files automatically.

And on the Confirmation dialog "The following files no longer exist at their expected location" show a Scan button that let you scan on a selected folder and replace missing files automatically.

I think that these options are not difficult to implement and are essential to keep the library up-to-date.
Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 02:37:40 PM by Nightcall

Pingaware

Frequently, the reason Steven gives for not implementing these things is that MB is designed so that you move files from within MB, using the Send To dialogues. If this is done, you don't have to relocate missing files. If there is a large scale case, such as a drive change, remap music folders can be used instead. Why do you have all these missing files? It might be a case that you need to change your workflow slightly.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

Nightcall

I know, but sometimes you move a few files without MB and you have to manually locate them to not lose the playlists or associated statistics.

I will try to always use MB to move music files.

Pingaware

That's an unfortunate price you have to pay for moving manually. My only advice is to just move it within MB. (If you search the forum, I'm sure Steven has posted about this sort of stuff before, but I couldn't find it on a quick totally non-exhaustive search).
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.