Author Topic: How to relocate a missing file without losing play count?  (Read 3751 times)

J24

• Love music of all genres and cultures
If I move a file using Windows Explorer it then shows as "missing" in MusicBee. However, after I relocate it, the play count resets to zero. Is there any way to relocate files without losing play count?

Also, how can I relocate multiple files at the same time? If I move a whole album for example, how can I select the whole album in MusicBee and set its new folder path? Normally, I have to click on every single audio file and relocate them one by one. Is there no way to scan the new location of the album folder and let MusicBee determine that this folder contains the missing files? When I do "File > Rescan" it just adds the files in the new location as duplicates instead of relocating the missing files.
I'm addicted to meth, that is, methadata.
Wanna share music recommendations? add me on Last.fm!

phred

• Global Moderator
If I move a file using Windows Explorer it then shows as "missing" in MusicBee. However, after I relocate it, the play count resets to zero. Is there any way to relocate files without losing play count?

Also, how can I relocate multiple files at the same time? If I move a whole album for example, how can I select the whole album in MusicBee and set its new folder path? Normally, I have to click on every single audio file and relocate them one by one. Is there no way to scan the new location of the album folder and let MusicBee determine that this folder contains the missing files? When I do "File > Rescan" it just adds the files in the new location as duplicates instead of relocating the missing files.
If you want MB to keep track of where your files are, do -not- use Windows Explorer, or -any- file manager, to move the files.  Move them from within MB.  Select the album, track, or tracks you want to move and right-click.  Then Send To > Folder (Move) > Move to Organized Folder.  (This assumes your tracks are properly tagged.)  That -should- keep the play counts.  I suggest trying it with one or two files before you make a wholesale change.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

J24

I see, that method is a little slow since I have to browse for the folder I want to move the album to each time. Isn't there a way to paste the folder path you want to move the albums to? Also, that "send to" method is moving the files only (not the album folder). Is there a way to move the folder itself in a cut-paste fashion? I've tried the folder dragging on the Computer node on the left sidebar but it's not very efficient since I have many folders and I have to wait for the list to scroll down while I drag the folder.

I don't think the move to organized folder option would work for me since I have my music organized into folders by their geographic location (Brazilian music, Japanese, West Asia, etc)

Zak

• Global Moderator
Is there a way to move the folder itself in a cut-paste fashion?
Not currently. If you think that's a better way of doing it you'll have to start a wishlist item and state your case. Keep in mind new features probably won't get much attention for the near future while Steven works on a major redesign for what will become MB 3.0.

I've tried the folder dragging on the Computer node on the left sidebar but it's not very efficient since I have many folders and I have to wait for the list to scroll down while I drag the folder.
It might be a tad annoying if you have a lot of scrolling, but that's still going to be the best way for you to do it for now.

I don't think the move to organized folder option would work for me since I have my music organized into folders by their geographic location (Brazilian music, Japanese, West Asia, etc)
Correct. Moving to an organised folder can really only work with what information you have in your tags. Unless you have a custom tag or genre to specify the origin, the organiser has no way of knowing what goes where.
Bee excellent to each other...

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Another approach might be to save the play count to a tag.   See here: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_save_Play_Count_to_music_files_as_tag
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

J24

I'm already saving the play count as a tag in the file but other info such as skip count and date added to library are lost. Besides, after you relocate the files the play count stored in MB becomes zero so the next time the song is played the "Advanced Search and Replace" tool writes "1" to the tag you are using to store the play count on. It seems like there is no way to do what I want yet so I went ahead and made two threads in the Wishlist section:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=15548.msg92368#msg92368
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=15549.msg92369#msg92369
Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 05:43:30 AM by Jorge24