Author Topic: Column brouser folder structure  (Read 4709 times)

frenksisco

Hi, I'll try to explain in English as best I can.
I would like to visualize my muisc library as "folder structure", the only thing I loved in foobar....
Can I visualize the vertical column brouser (picture1) as "folder structures"(picture 2)?
I know that I can find my music folder under "Computer" but I'd rather just see only the music folder and not the rest of the folders and disks of the computer ...
Is it possibile?
picture1= http://postimg.org/image/pkk9ng1ex/
picture2= http://postimg.org/image/j6024gzvd/
Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:08:02 PM by frenksisco

phred

• Global Moderator
If I understand correctly, this may be what you're looking for.
Right-click on Computer node > Manage Folders > Choose Filtered Folders.
Once the folders are chosen, go back and enable Show Filtered Folders Only.

Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frenksisco

Not exactly what I was looking for but it is a good compromise. Thanx
I was hoping to visualize the Column brouser as folder structure

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Not exactly what I was looking for but it is a good compromise. Thanx
I was hoping to visualize the Column brouser as folder structure

Have you tried the Library Explorer?  Right click in the left sidebar where there is some blank space and and check "show library explorer".  It is similar to the column browser., but with nested categories.

[Edit] I didn't read closely enough.  Redwing's suggestion is more likely to help you.
Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 11:45:00 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

redwing

You could use a virtual tag.

How to Create a Virtual <Folder> tag

If you frequently access and play files from their folders, MB's Computer node in left navigator might not offer desirable functionality for navigating and quick-accessing different folders. Then you might want to use a virtual field starting with the folder name you'd like to populate.

If you have a folder structure starting with E:\Music\Adele,

Folder = $Replace(<Path>,$Left(<Path>,9),)

This would return "Adele\..." value for each track. So replace the number 9 with any number depending on your folder structure.
If you have different folder structure according to genre, etc., you can modify the formula above using $If syntax.

Now you can add this "Folder" virtual field to library explorer, track browser, or main panel for easier browsing. The difference between this and using the tag (in this case "Artist" tag) is that this directs to the corresponding folder instead of a group of tracks corresponding to the tag value.  

frenksisco

Sorry, I did not understand your suggestion...
Anyway, I think the "Computer" section with phred suggestion is more or less what I was wondering.
Only I do not like its folder icons, and I would prefer a textual layout like the column browser..

redwing

Sorry, I did not understand your suggestion...

Assuming you have a folder structure of "X:\MUSICA\<Artist>" based on your screenshot:

1. Go to Edit> Preferences> Tags (1)> Define New Tags.
2. You can enter a label and formula in one of the boxes in the lower half of the dialog to define a virtual tag. Then enter this: Folder = $Split(<Path>,\,3)
3. Add the new "Folder" virtual field to column browser instead of "Artist" field.

redwing

It should work. Make sure you entered them correctly. If you are not sure, post the screenshot of your virtual tag definition dialog.

frenksisco

I do not know what I did wrong ...
The result is almost perfect except for one thing: before the name of the artist there is: "folder ="

Zak

• Global Moderator
Then enter this: Folder = $Split(<Path>,\,3)

The result is almost perfect except for one thing: before the name of the artist there is: "folder ="

Redwing was suggesting a virtual tag called Folder with the formula $Split(<Path>,\,3)
Take the "folder = " bit from the start of the virtual tag formula and you'll be all good.
Bee excellent to each other...

redwing

Redwing was suggesting a virtual tag called Folder with the formula $Split(<Path>,\,3)
Take the "folder = " bit from the start of the virtual tag formula and you'll be all good.

Yes, that's what I meant.

Also, you don't need to set up that "Folder" custom tag for this (custom tags and virtual tags are totally different things). What I mean is you don't need to configure that "custom 3" tag nor entering anything in those "identifier" and other boxes. That'd be only needed if you want to create such a custom tag to save to files.