Author Topic: Massive Library needs cleanup  (Read 2417 times)

too_many_tracks

Hello,
I had been using Media Monkey until recently. I switched to MB because of the good reviews, the light foot print and because Media Monkey crashed consistently. However, among the tools within MM was the ability to create editing statements to cleanup large numbers of files at the same time. Batch editing in the extreme. The problem though, was you really had to know syntax language, etc. to be able to configure these statements (rules). There was no help any where that I could find. I gave up on this feature and then gave up on MM because of the crashes.

So, the question is can MB perform this type of function? I have over 70,000 tracks. Yes, the number is correct 70k. I know however that many of these track are dupes or dead files or mislabeled. I really need help to get this under control but I don't have the programing skills to make it happen. Does anyone out there have any ides? Thank you very much for reading my post.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

In the Tools menu, you will find a duplicate manager (based on tags), and if you dig a little deeper, an option to show dead links (although MB shouldn't have imported any links to files that don't actually exist, except maybe in playlists).

Depending on how well your files are tagged, MB offers an auto-organize function for arranging and naming files and folders based on tags.  It also offers tools for tagging your files using services like MusicBrainz.

Something you might find useful for fixing a lot of tags with similar problems is the Additional Tagging & Reporting Tools plugin: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Additional_Tagging_and_Reporting_Tools.

If you give us more info about specific problems (screenshots always help), we may be able to offer more specific advice.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Zak

• Global Moderator
Worth mentioning too that MusicBee doesn't provide any kind of scripting for batch updates beyond using parts of the file name for tag values or vice versa. There is an API that can be used to write custom plugins, but that requires programming knowledge in C++, C#, Visual Basic etc. and isn't for the fainthearted.

Many people who do lots of batch tagging also use a dedicated editor like mp3tag or Picard (which do provide simple script support) for editing tags before adding their tracks to MusicBee.

I'd also recommend that approach because 70,000 tracks is going to be a big job!
Bee excellent to each other...