Author Topic: MusicBee not saving tag changes to files  (Read 8370 times)

Barbie-qu

I have made a large number of tag changes to my files, but the changes are not saving to the files. I can see my changes in MusicBee, so they have saved to the DB, but inspecting the files in MP3tag or the MB tag inspector shows my custom Style field is empty.
I've tried the Synchronise Tags command, but this also makes no difference.
My music is on a NAS, but i am connected fine, and can play the tracks with MB without problem.
Does anyone have any suggestions for forcing the tags to save? I really don't want to lose all the re-tagging work i've done (again).
Cheers

Edit: running v.2.5.5524
Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 02:41:08 PM by Barbie-qu

redwing

Sound like a permission issue. To verify, see if you can modify those files on your NAS with any other apps.

Barbie-qu

It seems I can modify the files directly using mp3tag or dbpoweramp, and these changes then show up fine in musicbee when I look with tag inspector.

Also, i've just found I can save to the comments field and this updates, but the custom tag doesn't.
Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 05:31:55 PM by Barbie-qu

redwing

Also, i've just found I can save to the comments field and this updates, but the custom tag doesn't.

Did you map the field properly under Preferences> Tags (1)? By default, most custom tags are saved to database only unless you change its mapping.

Barbie-qu

yes, it's set to save to the music file as tag 'Style'
I didn't have any problems saving this tag previously. I think something happened when I switched from wired to wireless connection, and MusicBee had to re-establish the connection to the server. That's just my hypothesis.

redwing

If that worked before, then maybe you will need to remap the field. Make sure copy all existing tag values of the field to another custom tag to copy back after remapping.
Also, you could post screenshots of Preferences> Tags (1) and Define New Tags dialog to make sure you have mapped the field correctly (sounds like you created TXXX/Style custom tag).
Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 01:10:22 AM by redwing

Barbie-qu

Thanks for the tip about copying tags to another custom tag. I hadn't thought of that. I'll do that when I have a bit of time in the next few days.
Here is a screen shot of my preferences:

The 'Define new tags' dialogue box has nothing entered in it. All fields are empty.

When you say remap the field, how should I do this?
Cheers

redwing

How come you have "Style" tag code when you have entered nothing in "Define New Tags" dialog? Did you create the field using another app? Maybe that's why MB does not write down the values to your files.

Then try this to see if it makes any differences.
Open Define New Tags dialog. Enter "Style" in "identifier". Press tab key to populate the value to other boxes. Save, and Apply, Save.

But before doing this, you will need to copy those values to another custom tag using Additional Tagging Tools plugin because you might lose all values in that field while remapping.

Barbie-qu

I need to check this over the weekend. I am not in the same location as my NAS at the moment, so can't copy the tags to a new custom field.
Thanks for the advice though.

Barbie-qu

Just reporting back...
For some reason MB had lost the custom tag mapping in the 'Define new tag' dialogue. Possibly when I had a couple of MB crashes.
I copied the exiting tags to a new custom tag as suggested, and then re-mapped the Style tag. The database didn't re-sync though, so I had to copy the tags back across to force MB to save the tags to the files.
Maybe I could have achieved the same by using the Synchronise Tags command, but either way, this worked.
Thanks very much for the help :)

Alex M

Same problem for me after moving the music library to a NAS...

After the file transfert, I discovered that the "Write" permission was not granted to public.
I guess the Music Bee app is considered as public.

After modifying the file attribute with the same file transfert tool (Filezilla) I was able to tag the music files.

Alex