Author Topic: Incorrect song length  (Read 10750 times)

BRAINS

I have an album that has two songs with incorrect lengths.

The first song shows 15:33 when it's only 2:09. 

The other song shows 8:35 when it is actually 1:13.

These are MP3 files.

The song length is also incorrect when viewing in Foobar.

Pingaware

They'll be corrupt files. To fix corruption in MP3s, run them through MP3Val and MP3Diags (in that order). I'd suggest running all your MP3s through them as they'll clear up any other problems you may unknowingly have.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

BRAINS

They'll be corrupt files. To fix corruption in MP3s, run them through MP3Val and MP3Diags (in that order). I'd suggest running all your MP3s through them as they'll clear up any other problems you may unknowingly have.
I have never heard of these two programs.

Is there nothing built into MusicBee to check a files integrity?  I know Foobar has something in preferences, but I think it can only do VBR MP3s.

I have thousands of songs, It would probably take forever to do them all.

Zak

• Global Moderator
Is there nothing built into MusicBee to check a files integrity?  I know Foobar has something in preferences, but I think it can only do VBR MP3s.
There's nothing built in to MusicBee for this. You're right about Foobar - it's called "Rebuild file header" or something similar and that's what mp3val does too. It's a problem with VBR files that have incorrect information in their file header. Audio programs use sample rate and file size etc. to determine the duration of a track. If that information is wrong the calculated duration is wrong too. For the files you mentioned you may also see MusicBee report the bitrate as something stupid like 32kbps.

mp3val is command line but includes a GUI with drag-n-drop support. You could just drop your music folder on it and it will check - and optionally fix - thousands of a song in a matter of minutes.
Bee excellent to each other...

Pingaware

My 16000 songs take about half an hour to run through MP3Val, although I do have to remember to decheck a few problem files (the GUI doesn't like some very unusual characters in file names).

MP3Diags takes rather longer - I'd estimate six hours to scan all my files for errors - but it also fixes a larger number of problems and can highlight various other discrepancies that it can be very difficult to spot otherwise.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

BRAINS

Is there nothing built into MusicBee to check a files integrity?  I know Foobar has something in preferences, but I think it can only do VBR MP3s.
There's nothing built in to MusicBee for this. You're right about Foobar - it's called "Rebuild file header" or something similar and that's what mp3val does too. It's a problem with VBR files that have incorrect information in their file header. Audio programs use sample rate and file size etc. to determine the duration of a track. If that information is wrong the calculated duration is wrong too. For the files you mentioned you may also see MusicBee report the bitrate as something stupid like 32kbps.

mp3val is command line but includes a GUI with drag-n-drop support. You could just drop your music folder on it and it will check - and optionally fix - thousands of a song in a matter of minutes.
Yes I checked the bitrate of the song and it said 32kbps when it should be 256.

I ran the entire album through mp3val as Pingaware suggested.

Here is what it says for the first incorrect track.

Analyzing file "C:\Desktop\1983 - Earth A.D. & Wolfsblood\01 Earth A.D..mp3"...
WARNING: "C:\Desktop\1983 - Earth A.D. & Wolfsblood\01 Earth A.D..mp3" (offset 0x3c196c): Garbage at the end of the file
WARNING: "C:\Desktop\1983 - Earth A.D. & Wolfsblood\01 Earth A.D..mp3": VBR detected, but no VBR header is present. Seeking may not work properly.
INFO: "C:\Desktop\1983 - Earth A.D. & Wolfsblood\01 Earth A.D..mp3": 4945 MPEG frames (MPEG 1 Layer III), +ID3v1+ID3v2, no VBR header, CRC
Done!

Zak

• Global Moderator

WARNING: "C:\Desktop\1983 - Earth A.D. & Wolfsblood\01 Earth A.D..mp3" (offset 0x3c196c): Garbage at the end of the file
WARNING: "C:\Desktop\1983 - Earth A.D. & Wolfsblood\01 Earth A.D..mp3": VBR detected, but no VBR header is present. Seeking may not work properly.
INFO: "C:\Desktop\1983 - Earth A.D. & Wolfsblood\01 Earth A.D..mp3": 4945 MPEG frames (MPEG 1 Layer III), +ID3v1+ID3v2, no VBR header, CRC
Done!
I'm not sure if you're posing that as a question, but yep, that's the message you'd get.
If you use mp3val to repair the track it will (re)write the VBR header correctly. You can then rescan the track in MusicBee for it to show the correct bitrate and duration. Joy ensues.
Bee excellent to each other...

BRAINS

Done!
I'm not sure if you're posing that as a question, but yep, that's the message you'd get.
If you use mp3val to repair the track it will (re)write the VBR header correctly. You can then rescan the track in MusicBee for it to show the correct bitrate and duration. Joy ensues.
Zak, just to test I ran Foobar's 'Fix VB3 MP3 Header' on one of these songs.  Even though the file said it's codec was 'MP3 CBR' it corrected the track length.

Is there any difference between Foobar's function and mp3val?  It doesn't seem to matter if it's VBR or CBR.

BRAINS

Well it is fixed in Foobar but not in MusicBee.  It still shows the incorrect length.  I even rescanned the library in MusicBee.

Maybe fixing the header in Foobar only works in Foobar?

I will try mp3val.