Author Topic: Albums not in alphabetical order despite setting it to  (Read 6980 times)

soopytwist

Hi, I'm new to Musicbee. I was recommended it after my frustration with WMP - in particular it's odd behaviour of randomly year tagging 1984 to some of my tracks for no obvious reason.

I've now created a new library in Musicbee, sorted by Album name only with artists name underneath and in album art view. It looks great and matches WMP exactly how I like my music to be presented.

However I have a weird problem with the sorting. For some reason there is an album that starts with the letter "T" among my albums that start with numbers...whereas other albums of the same are under the rest of the T's further down.

Also, after "Z" I have random albums in no alphabetized order. After Z it goes: T, A, C, M, C, D, F, L, M, P, S, T, R, T, F, A, B, A, H, L, T in that order by album name. Why is this?

For clarification the folder structure of my music collection (on it's own internal HDD) is:
 I:
Albums (825 various CD/LP albums in folders)

Audio Books

Computer Game Music (folders by game name)

My Albums (music I've made myself)

My Favourite Music (contains folders: Favourite Classical, Favourite Dance, Favourite Instrumental, Favourite Movie Themes, Favourite Songs and Favourite TV Themes)

Podcasts (several folders)

Sound Effects Albums (folders by album name)

Television (television audio books by title)

When creating my library I just took out C:\My Music (because I don't use it, C drive is an SSD with just Windows on it) and instead just added I:
What I have noticed is that all the albums that are out of order and not those in the "Album" folder where the majority of my CD were ripped to.

Pingaware

Could you post a screenshot of your main panel please, particularly the last Z album and the first few after that? It will probably help us understand what's going on.

As something to be going on with, check the "Ignore Words" settings in Preferences>Tags (2). I have a hunch that the album name may start with "The"? If "The" is in the ignore words box, that could cause some of the problems.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It might also be useful to see the Tag Inspector and Tag Editor for one of the problem files.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

dgbx

Also, if there is a space as the first character, it will sort based on the space.  The time I ran into that, my "number" artists were just after the "space" artist.

As mentioned, the tag inspector might make that more apparent.

soopytwist

My apologies for late replying I've had lots of things to do.

I think the problem is down to the file structure on my I: drive. As you can see in the below image "Albums" are listed in alphabetical order in MusicBee (apart from one album - but more on that in a moment).

When the list gets down to "Z" (Zz Top Greatest Hits) it is followed by the "Audio Books" folder on I: drive. There's only one album in there - The Mr. Men (don't ask). After that MusicBee lists everything in my "Computer Game Music" folder on I: drive...then "My Albums" (music I've made myself), "My Favourite Music" (contains more folders), "Podcasts", "Sound Effects Albums" and "Television".

MusicBee lists my music in the order in which they appear in the file structure on I: drive starting with "Albums".

Meanwhile back at the top among the albums (in the "Albums" folder) is TV Sets Top-Up Disc1 sandwitched between 20 Greatest Western Themes and 21st Centurey Breakdown (Green Day) for bizzare reason...as you can see:

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Thanks for the screenshots.  The first thing I notice is that you're sorting by Title, which means track title. What happens if you sort by Album instead?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

soopytwist

Thanks for the screenshots.  The first thing I notice is that you're sorting by Title, which means track title. What happens if you sort by Album instead?
They are sorted by Album.

EDIT

I uninstalled MusicBee, deleted the library database, reinstalled MusicBee and re-created my libraray. Same mixed up sorting only this time I've lost nearly all of my album art.
Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 11:01:47 PM by soopytwist

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
They are sorted by Album.

You're right, sorry.  In this case it does refer to album title.

Regarding your album art, make sure the settings are correct in Tags (1) for your configuration.  Also make sure albums are defined  the way you want in Sorting/Grouping. Are you defining albums using folders or tags?  If you're using folders, I wonder if that's related to why they sort by directory.  Maybe a bug?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

Did a simple test, and yes it's a bug. For some reason albums get sorted by folder name instead of album name when grouping setting is set to folders.

I would suggest you file a bug report, referring to this thread.

soopytwist

LOL, thanks for looking in to that. So I'm not just going stark raving bonkers then.