Author Topic: Can I use the current playlist track position when syncing to a portable device?  (Read 3255 times)

ZaLiHkA

I use a flash drive to play music in my car, synced from my primary media player.. Since this is now MusicBee and not MediaMonkey, there's one feature I'm missing and I can't seem to find a solution on the forums or in the wiki.

In MM, I would use a tag in the file naming scheme called "<auto number>", which would take the file's current playlist position and insert that number into the filename, effectively maintaining whatever track order I set in my playlist. Is it possible to do this with MB?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
 this will happen if you tick the boy in sync settings to put each playlist in its own folder.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

ZaLiHkA

I think you might have misunderstood what I'm trying to achieve.. While I didn't explicitly say so, I do actually need to keep everything on the root of the drive, one of the radios I play music from doesn't allow shuffle if the files are in sub-folders. Hence my query regarding the file naming.

If i create a playlist, I want the synced files to have the following output style, regardless of what album track number each song meta tag has set:

* 001 - <artist> - <title>
    * 002 - <artist> - <title>
    * 003 - <artist> - <title>
    * 004 - <artist> - <title>

The incrementing number doesn't necessarily need to be padded, but I could do that with MM, so it would be nice... But I don't see how placing the files in subfolders help me here?

redwing

Did you try ticking the box as psychoadept suggested? It will name files in the format you wanted.

ZaLiHkA

Just tried it now, perhaps I'm doing something wrong then, it didn't make any difference to the sync.. The only way I've found to manually sync files is to select them in either the library, with a playlist selected, or from the "Now Playing" sidebar. However, even with "Create a sub-folder for each playlist and its tracks" option enabled and all other settings on default, it still syncs using my "Music Files" format with no changes.

Am I missing something here?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If you're manually syncing, it won't work.  You need to select playlists in sync settings and then use the Synchronize command.

If you set the folder for playlists to "/" you will get one folder per playlist with no subfolders.  (You may also have to.create a music folder, but there should be nothing in it.)

If that doesn't do the trick, you could make a wishlist request.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

ZaLiHkA

Ah.. I think I get it now. Even with your explanation, I had to keep changing settings and retrying it before I got it to work.

Still, although I'm getting the files with an auto-incrementing number, I can't get it on the root of the drive. Not sure if this makes much difference to the app itself, but I'm running MB under Windows. So my path separators are backslashes, not forward slashes. Based on your forward slash suggestion, I assume you're on Linux?

• With a "Playlist path" of "/": I get an error stating "System.ArgumentException: The UNC path should be of the form \\server\share.", after which the path changes to "/\".
  • With a "Playlist path" of "\": I get an error stating "System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'BEATSTICK\' is denied.", but file access is not an issue with my drive (I'm no foreigner to Windows file access permissions).
  • With a blank "Playlist path": all files sync with the playlist position number and no spaces in the name, but the go into a subfolder called "Beatstick" (matching my flash drive name).

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I probably gave you the wrong slash, sorry.  But some of those errors don't make sense.  Can you post a screenshot of your sync settings?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

ZaLiHkA

After my last post I worked out where the "Beatstick" folder name is coming from; it's the name of the playlist I'm syncing. So effectively, that's all I need to get rid of now.

The settings I used to achieve the third result of my previous post are as follows (auto-sync settings have the "Beatstick" playlist selected):