Author Topic: GUI changes for v3.0  (Read 1248720 times)

Steven

• Administrator
However, when the buttons are consolidated into one button, this happens:

^ Even with no visual buttons in the red area, I am still not able to move the window by click-dragging in the red area. It's as if part of the caption bar is still allocated for the now-invisible buttons.
thats fixed for the next v3 update

redwing

I would propose "album cover display setting (priority order)" and "Set What Picture to Display..." instead.
I see your point about the existing wording. However i am not happy with the proposal. Those settings determine which pictures will be linked to the music file.
Maybe  "Set the displayed pictures" and "Edit List..." for the button?

Much better, or "Set what pictures to display" and "Edit List..." for the button.

redwing

i did the first yesterday

Yes, I just saw single element no longer gets the tickbox. But force-(un)ticking has not been implemented.

Also there's another issue of ordering.
Say, you have in right sidebar

Lyrics
Artwork
Bio

and ticked Lyrics and Bio for stacking. Currently they just stay as if none was ticked. Should Bio go up and get stacked when you hit "Apply" here?
I think it should.

for the wording, maybe others can chip in. For me, your proposal doesnt make clear what stacking does. The wording used to be "overlayed" instead of "stacked". I think the word overlay is less ambiguous but some felt people wouldnt know what it meant

As I said, the problem arises from "top of each other" part which could give a wrong impression of vertical placing of each element (no ticks for this and it's not "stacked"). Whatever "stack" means, I think the difference here is just how to select another stacked element, either by tab or by selector button.

Steven

• Administrator
for the wording, maybe others can chip in. For me, your proposal doesnt make clear what stacking does. The wording used to be "overlayed" instead of "stacked". I think the word overlay is less ambiguous but some felt people wouldnt know what it meant

As I said, the problem arises from "top of each other" part which could give a wrong impression of vertical placing of each element (no ticks for this and it's not "stacked"). Whatever "stack" means, I think the difference here is just how to select another stacked element, either by tab or by selector button.
i will let this sit a while and see what else is proposed

Steven

• Administrator
Album Cover view now highlights playing track, but Artists view only shows album list of playing artist.
its the same with v2.5 and not straight-forward to implement so i will not address this issue at least for the near term

Steven

• Administrator
Not sure if it's supposed to be like this, but the compact player for v3 seems to zoom and cut off the album cover when viewed full screen.
if this is still the case, can you PM me a link to your settings (help/ support/ view settings)
actually i can see whats going on. In MB3 i made a change so it fills the available area rather than leaving a gap as in v2.5
I might revisit that decision if it throws too many people but all you need to do is increase the height of the window.
I guess MB could enfore a minimum size restriction so the album picture clipping cant happen

redwing

Looks like no work is done with splitting settings for Album Cover view and Artists view. For instance, "fields displayed" setting is only needed for Album Cover view and it doesn't need "configure expanded panel" setting. And they seem to share the same settings if applied to both, which could be better if saved differently.

Also, current splitting between the two views is just based on whether it's grouped by album or artist. But album cover view could also be grouped by artist or composer as long as it only displays album covers. Then it could offer some new views like presenting album covers grouped by artist without artist image:

Steven

• Administrator
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_0/MusicBee3_Patched.zip

unzip into the musicbee application folder and run MusicBee3.exe
- fixes and changes as stated above

Mephisto

Maybe something like "ticked elements are displayed as a list by clicking a selector button"

sleepless

Maybe something along these lines:

"By ticking elements, you can group(stack) them together to share a given space within the panel.
 Then choose which one you want to view by:

[  ] selecting the element from a group of stacked tabs,  or
     [  ] pressing the header button to rotate between them

My own preference is for "group" rather than "stack", but either works.

hiccup

i will let this sit a while and see what else is proposed

- cluster elements

- use tabs to select the element from a cluster to display
- use arrow selector to select the element from a cluster to display

"You can drag elements on top of eachother to cluster them and so make them share available space in the panel.
For these clusters, you can select either 'tab selection' or 'arrow selection' to choose the element from that cluster to be displayed"

(if my previous suggestion to make it possible to drag elements on top of eachother to cluster them is not implemented, the wordings of course should change to:
"You can tick the check boxes behind the elements to make them share.... "

redwing

One more try with sleepless's suggestion:

"ticked elements get grouped together and choosable by clicking a selector button"

redwing

Not sure the new wording "don't copy (the source picture is displayed)" is clearer than the previous "link to the original picture".
I'd prefer the previous wording. BTW there's a typo with the new wording.

hiccup

One more try with sleepless's suggestion:

"ticked elements get grouped together and choosable by clicking a selector button"

I would be a bit hesitant on the word 'grouping' for the main reason the word 'grouping' is already used in some other places in MusicBee with different meanings.
If there is the possibility to differentiate terminology that would be preferable in my opinion. (therefor my 'cluster')

LDGEB

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_0/MusicBee3_Patched.zip

unzip into the musicbee application folder and run MusicBee3.exe
- fixes and changes as stated above

Using this version but these bug is not fixed.

Bug report:

Compact Setting/Preferences retrieving Artist Image even if disable.

Reproduce:
1) Open Preferences
2) Layout (2)
3) Configure Panel (Compact Player)
4) Disable "retrieve web pictures" under Artist Picture
5) Ctrl+1 or go into compact mode
6) MusicBee will connect to the internet to retrieve artist picture (if you don't have it cache or in your artist picture folder).
Relative artworks location.