Author Topic: GUI changes for v3.0  (Read 1252851 times)

redwing

I am happy to change the text if someone proposes something thats more clear that i agree with

A while ago I made a suggestion not about those text but adjacent setting:

I've noticed many users are not familiar with artwork retrieval setting.

The problem is that it's not easy for ordinary users to get the correct meaning of "album cover search rules" and "Set Retrieval Filter.." because these are technical jargons. And "album cover search rules" could give a wrong impression that it might be about auto-tagging artwork or searching artwork online.

I would propose "album cover display setting (priority order)" and "Set What Picture to Display..." instead.

redwing

MB3 v3.0.5866:

On Win7, my taskbar is at the bottom of my screen, and set to auto-hide. When MB's main window is maximized and focused, it prevents the taskbar from being brought up by moving the mouse to the bottom of the screen where the taskbar is. I'm guessing there's something in MB that's trying to force it to be top-most window when focused?
i can confirm this bug but its not something MB is controlling - it must be something to do with the interaction between the .net library and windows. So it probably wont be fixed.
The only work-around is to apply all the following settings:
- untick Select Skin/Skin Window Borders
- in the panel layout, menu below caption bar and tabs below caption bar

I'm having the same issue as the OP's except I'm running Windows 10 Pro and hiding taskbar on the right side. Those two settings don't make any differences.
I suspect this has something to do with v3 as v2.5 has no problem unhiding taskbar (and I remember 2.5 worked fine on Windows Vista & 7 too).

WannaBee

MB3 v3.0.5866:

On Win7, my taskbar is at the bottom of my screen, and set to auto-hide. When MB's main window is maximized and focused, it prevents the taskbar from being brought up by moving the mouse to the bottom of the screen where the taskbar is. I'm guessing there's something in MB that's trying to force it to be top-most window when focused?
i can confirm this bug but its not something MB is controlling - it must be something to do with the interaction between the .net library and windows. So it probably wont be fixed.
The only work-around is to apply all the following settings:
- untick Select Skin/Skin Window Borders
- in the panel layout, menu below caption bar and tabs below caption bar

I'm having the same issue as the OP's except I'm running Windows 10 Pro and hiding taskbar on the right side. Those two settings don't make any differences.
I suspect this has something to do with v3 as v2.5 has no problem unhiding taskbar (and I remember 2.5 worked fine on Windows Vista & 7 too).

I'm having the same issue as the OP. I'm running Windows 7x64 Ultimate, and hiding the taskbar on top. This problem does not manifest in v2.5.

hiccup

Although I do agree its a more natural and possibly more intuative, but at this point i dont have the energy or inclination to be making substantial changes.
I guess where i will leave this from my side is to make a commitment to revisit it after v3 is done and more use feedback has been given around issues with the current dialog

Fair enough.

Maybe you could consider two suggestions from this proposal earlier:

- Have the available elements placed 'sticky' in the panel, in a fixed order. This will give a good sense and overview of all existing elements, which are already located somewhere, and which one are still available for placement. (like in my mock-up)

- Please give my alternative method of stacking some thought. I feel it would be a very natural and intuitive way to stack, just as you would stack stuff in real life.
  The choice between the two stacking methods in my opinion should at least be available where the stacking takes place; in the header of the stacked panels.

hiccup

I am happy to change the text if someone proposes something thats more clear that i agree with
A while ago I made a suggestion not about those text but adjacent setting:

This would be one of the setting options that would benefit very much if there would be more space in the settings panel, so it would allow for some better separation and explanation (retrieving, saving, linking, organizing etc.)
Hopefully that can be done if the earlier proposed extension in hierarchy for the configuration panel can be implemented. That would also be a good time to revisit some wordings and nomenclatures.

Steven

• Administrator
v2.5 used a different and non-standard approach to window handling and MB had more control over handling for some scenarios. V3 is controlled more by windows and as far as i am concerned its a windows bug when using custom frames. In any case i may have another look at this as i realise there is a workaround but its not straight-forward and i might not do it

redwing

In any case i may have another look at this as i realise there is a workaround but its not straight-forward and i might not do it

Hopefully this issue will be addressed, otherwise it alone will invite tons of bug reports after official release.

redwing

There's a bug with the section headings of stacked elements.
When multiple elements are stacked on top of each other, clicking on anywhere right to the section headings on panel header bar switches the displayed element to another stacked element. But section headings never change. At that point, if you move the mouse on that headings, you get something like this:

Steven

• Administrator
Not sure if it's supposed to be like this, but the compact player for v3 seems to zoom and cut off the album cover when viewed full screen.
if this is still the case, can you PM me a link to your settings (help/ support/ view settings)

Steven

• Administrator
To give as less as options to users, "stack" tickbox could show up only when needed.
The screenshot above shows the tickbox for left main panel where ticking does nothing.
Also, when only two elements are listed under a panel, ticking one element should force tick the other too, vice versa for unticking, since ticking only one element means nothing.

<Added>
The wording for the second option of stack "ticked elements are stacked on top of each other and viewable by clicking a selector button" is not clear (especially "stacked on top of each other" which could sound vertically stacked). Maybe it could be just "ticked elements are viewable by clicking a selector button on the panel header".
i did the first yesterday
for the wording, maybe others can chip in. For me, your proposal doesnt make clear what stacking does. The wording used to be "overlayed" instead of "stacked". I think the word overlay is less ambiguous but some felt people wouldnt know what it meant

Steven

• Administrator

The problem is that it's not easy for ordinary users to get the correct meaning of "album cover search rules" and "Set Retrieval Filter.." because these are technical jargons. And "album cover search rules" could give a wrong impression that it might be about auto-tagging artwork or searching artwork online.

I would propose "album cover display setting (priority order)" and "Set What Picture to Display..." instead.
I see your point about the existing wording. However i am not happy with the proposal. Those settings determine which pictures will be linked to the music file.
Maybe  "Set the displayed pictures" and "Edit List..." for the button?

hiccup

for the wording, maybe others can chip in. For me, your proposal doesnt make clear what stacking does. The wording used to be "overlayed" instead of "stacked". I think the word overlay is less ambiguous but some felt people wouldnt know what it meant

cluster?

ankor

I casually mentioned this a few days ago...still related with Send To | Folder (Copy) | Copy Files to Folder. When copied, why is each filename prefixed with a number?  Filenames should not be changed without user input.  If I want to copy files into a different folder, the number assigned to each file isn't necessarily the same with each copy and so future copies don't match up with the same files resulting in a mess.  Maybe prompt user about the prefix?

Steven

• Administrator
I casually mentioned this a few days ago...still related with Send To | Folder (Copy) | Copy Files to Folder. When copied, why is each filename prefixed with a number?  Filenames should not be changed without user input.  If I want to copy files into a different folder, the number assigned to each file isn't necessarily the same with each copy and so future copies don't match up with the same files resulting in a mess.  Maybe prompt user about the prefix?
please keep posts in this topic related to v3 GUI changes

Steven

• Administrator
There's a bug with the section headings of stacked elements.
thats fixed for the next update