Author Topic: GUI changes for v3.0  (Read 1233751 times)

Steven

• Administrator
Come to think of it, I should have added them to the 'available elements' too. I think it is quite smart that you can just click on them there, and MusicBee will then automatically place that element in a default and 'sensible' panel.

Added those:

not sure i agree with this. The reason i went with a vertical orientation is so fhe overall size of the dialog is smaller. In your example it would need to be at least 1000px width, maybe wider and a lot of empty space without fitting the other settings that are already in the existing panel (the "hide" settings, explanatory messages, and the two "stack" options).
Although I do agree its a more natural and possibly more intuative, but at this point i dont have the energy or inclination to be making substantial changes.
I guess where i will leave this from my side is to make a commitment to revisit it after v3 is done and more use feedback has been given around issues with the current dialog

ankor

I guess where i will leave this from my side is to make a commitment to revisit it after v3 is done and more use feedback has been given around issues with the current dialog
+1
Changing course now unless Steven deems this "simple" can be detrimental.  Can't imagine it's simple.  Better to take time and have some good brainstorming and then tackle it once the current goal of v3.0 is achieved imho.

btw, nice improvement showing tooltip over info glyph of available elements and no longer requiring click to make tooltip disappear.
Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 08:23:35 PM by ankor

sleepless

That WYSIWYG layout is impressive. I too am a fan of the checkboxes for stacking. Personally I found them easy to understand and fairly intuitive.
A couple of questions about the compact player:

-I really like the option to overlay the elements over the artist picture. I have many albums with artwork (front/back covers and extras). Is there anyway we could get an option to switch it so the album art is in full view with the artist picture in the inset? Maybe a way to have the album art rotate/slideshow the way the artist picture does?

-As I mentioned in an earlier post referring to the 'Now Playing' panel, I'd really like to be able to customize the fields for the 'track information' element in the compact player. It seems the option was removed for v3. Steven explained the limitations related to the size of the panel/number of fields added, which is understandable. I'm hoping that a solution can be found.

I've been working with MB for a few weeks now, and like many of us I'm finding little things I'd like to see tweaked, but overall I think it's a great application and all the hard work that's gone into it is much appreciated. So I'm gonna try to lay off the 'suggestions' for a bit as I don't want to come off disrespectful. I wish there was a way that I could help with all of this, as I've recently found myself on disability with some extra time on my hands. Unfortunately my skills at this sort of thing are pretty limited. Nonetheless, if there's any sort of grunt work I could make myself useful with, I'd be willing.

MeeMeeMee

copy to folder.jpg and the organise option are two different things. The default is "Cover.jpg" but can be any file naming template. It just so happens you have decided to change the template to "Folder.jpg" and hence duplicating the other option.
"link to original file" just means that any saved artwork will not be re-organised ie. any artwork added from the hard-drive just link to its original location. I am happy to change the text if someone proposes something thats more clear that i agree with

Thank you Steven (and ssri for trying to help) - So the super-set thing is accurate, only the default doesn't reflect that. So now, it seems to me that having both options is redundant. Does anybody tick both options and keep a copy of the same image by two different names?
Sorry, I can't suggest a better text to reflect what it does, or when it does that (that's an important question too, right?). Maybe the online help could be expanded with the specifics, and MB should point you there. That would not add text to the application which will make translation an issue.
Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 08:23:50 PM by MeeMeeMee
MusicBee 3.5.8516 / Windows 10 (64-bit) / Intel i5-3470 / 8GB RAM
Media on NAS (CIFS share)
20K+ tracks, predominantly FLAC ; converted to mp3 (lame -V 0) when synced to a Cowon D2+
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Get the latest patch: https://getmusicbee.com/patches/

Steven

• Administrator
So the super-set thing is accurate, only the default doesn't reflect that. So now, it seems to me that having both options is redundant. Does anybody tick both options and keep a copy of the same image by two different names?
yes some people do

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I wish there was a way that I could help with all of this, as I've recently found myself on disability with some extra time on my hands. Unfortunately my skills at this sort of thing are pretty limited. Nonetheless, if there's any sort of grunt work I could make myself useful with, I'd be willing.

As soon as 3.0 is officially released, I am going to need all the help I can get updating the wiki.  It's not complicated, mostly needs writing and taking screenshots.  Send me a message if you're interested.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

ankor

I realize that but my point is that when using "Copy Files to Folder", MB makes the selection automatically from the playlist and doesn't complain that I didn't select any files.  Seems "Copy Files to Organised Folder" would have the same behavior for consistency.  It's also very intuitive that if I don't select files, I want the entire playlist involved.
the next v3 update should handle right clicking on playlists in the left navigator better
Qualifier...I right-click on a playlist, the list of files change to the content list of the playlist but nothing in the file list is selected. "Copy Files to Organised Folder" still complains about nothing selected but again if nothing selected, assumption should be entire playlist (which is the behavior with "Copy Files to Folder").

Steven

• Administrator
Qualifier...I right-click on a playlist, the list of files change to the content list of the playlist but nothing in the file list is selected. "Copy Files to Organised Folder" still complains about nothing selected but again if nothing selected, assumption should be entire playlist (which is the behavior with "Copy Files to Folder").
thats fixed for the next v3 update

Steven

• Administrator
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_0/MusicBee3_Patched.zip

unzip into the musicbee application folder and run MusicBee3.exe
- fixes and changes as stated above

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
Just a thought that occurred to me..
If you have the Web Browser plugin installed, shouldn't the web links in the Track Information panel open there instead of opening up your default browser?
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

blidmink

Thanks for all your work on MB3, Steven, it's looking great. I've run into an apparent bug regarding toolbar buttons in the caption bar, which I hope hasn't already been mentioned. When the buttons are all shown in tabs bar (ie not consolidated into one button), the top of my window looks like this:

^ In this crudely annotated screenshot, the green square is the area I can click and drag to move the window around. I can't do this in the red area because I'd be interacting with the buttons. This is expected behaviour.

However, when the buttons are consolidated into one button, this happens:

^ Even with no visual buttons in the red area, I am still not able to move the window by click-dragging in the red area. It's as if part of the caption bar is still allocated for the now-invisible buttons.

sleepless

Not sure if it's supposed to be like this, but the compact player for v3 seems to zoom and cut off the album cover when viewed full screen.

ankor

thats fixed for the next v3 update
Just to confirm...right-click on playlist in left-sidebar and pick Send To | Folder (Copy) to automatically include the full list of files from the playlist OR make your selection in the file list and right-click on the selection to include just the selected files.

Awesome!!  Thanks Steven.
Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 12:38:54 AM by ankor

redwing

With "highlight playing track in the main panel" option enabled, if you switch from Tracks or Album &Tracks view to Album Cover or Artists View, the main panel doesn't highlight playing track unlike v2.5.
thats fixed for the next update

Album Cover view now highlights playing track, but Artists view only shows album list of playing artist.

redwing

Appreciate some tweaks you made for layout editor.
In case you missed, I made some suggestions about stack setting: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=15050.msg102819#msg102819