Author Topic: GUI changes for v3.0  (Read 1253684 times)

AvikB

2. there's corruption (3 thin horizontal lines) as I scroll down the files panel:
i cant reproduce this. Which skin are you using and could you try with the MusicBee3 skin? Also how do you action the scroll (eg. mouse wheel, drag of the scroll slider)
and does scrolling fast or slow make any difference (especially the slow scroll)
lastly, scroll direction might be relevant as well - does it happen both up and down?
i also have this issue. I can reproduce this using both MusicBee3 skin and the Windows 10 style skin.
Play a song and right click on the player control panel and click Locate playing track at current tab then just use mouse wheel to scroll up down and this shows.

Alumni

i am not sure i know what you mean by "the 100% scale setting". Are you saying you have the "picture size:" scaler in the Albums v or Artists v dropdown set to maximum?

Yeah that's what I meant - picture size is at maximum, and to my eyes the thumbnails appear a bit blurry/fuzzy.
Also there is no indication the thumbnails are being updated, it's like they're being upscaled instead.

Steven

• Administrator
i also have this issue. I can reproduce this using both MusicBee3 skin and the Windows 10 style skin.
Play a song and right click on the player control panel and click Locate playing track at current tab then just use mouse wheel to scroll up down and this shows.
yes i can reproduce an issue using this method. For me it blanked most of the panel. So i am thinking the one reported by darkred might be caused by something else?

AvikB

The issue becomes extreme if you try to click on the scrollbar and click drag it up or down:

darkred

2. there's corruption (3 thin horizontal lines) as I scroll down the files panel:
i cant reproduce this. Which skin are you using and could you try with the MusicBee3 skin? Also how do you action the scroll (eg. mouse wheel, drag of the scroll slider)
and does scrolling fast or slow make any difference (especially the slow scroll, click on the top/bottom scroll button)
lastly, scroll direction might be relevant as well - does it happen both up and down?
I'm using the skin Dark|Sunset but it occurs with the MusicBee3 skin too.
It's always reproducible:
it occurs right after I press Ins(Scan Folder For New Files):
when the procedure completes, if I scroll down using mouse wheel, then it always occurs.
The corruption remains if I scroll up(=it doesn't get fixed) but no further corruption is created when scrolling up.
If it occurs once, then even if I close and restart MusicBee, then the corruption occurs even by simply scrolling down.
Also, I confirm AvikB's report about using the scrollbar to scroll.
Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 08:26:55 PM by darkred

Alumni

I had a look in my appdata/cache folder, I noticed its thumbnails are 188x188 px.
According to my measurements, the size of the largest thumbnails in MusicBee comes to 225x225 px.

Steven

• Administrator
I had a look in my appdata/cache folder, I noticed its thumbnails are 188x188 px.
According to my measurements, the size of the largest thumbnails in MusicBee comes to 225x225 px.
ok, that doesnt sound good and i will check that out

Steven

• Administrator
http://www.mediafire.com/download/yg2iu46j3binune/MusicBeeDemo.zip

unzip into the musicbee application folder and run MusicBee3.exe

- fixes for a couple of scrolling issues in the artwork layout, although i cant be sure it addresses the issue reported by darkred or the 2nd issue reported by AvikB
- fixes the "Show Albums" setting lost on restart in the Artwork layout
- fix for remembering the Artist grouping setting when switch from the Albums layout
- i will look at the remaining reported issues tomorrow night

BoraBora

Hi Steven!

I know this isn't a request topic but because this 3.0 overhaul relates to the GUI and the general appearance, I don't think I'm out of line by asking if you would consider increasing the maximal size for thumbnails in cover view from 225 pixels to at least 600 pixels? On a 4K screen, a 225x225 image is ridiculously small and defeat the whole point of a cover view.

Again, sorry if this is not the right place for asking this. I already made a request months ago in the appropriate section, but I couldn't resist asking again, seeing as the lasts posts were about these thumbnails in cover view.

cartman005

This is picky but in the new version, the content of the search box is not automatically highlighted when you click in it or press CTRL+F like it is in 2.5.

AvikB

The issue becomes extreme if you try to click on the scrollbar and click drag it up or down:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/yg2iu46j3binune/MusicBeeDemo.zip

unzip into the musicbee application folder and run MusicBee3.exe

- fixes for a couple of scrolling issues in the artwork layout, although i cant be sure it addresses the issue reported by darkred or the 2nd issue reported by AvikB
- fixes the "Show Albums" setting lost on restart in the Artwork layout
- fix for remembering the Artist grouping setting when switch from the Albums layout
- i will look at the remaining reported issues tomorrow night

It is weird, while clicking on the scrollbar and scroll to top does not have this issue. but when trying to click and scroll to bottom this appears.
It is same for that distorted line. Scrolling up has no issue, but scrolling down produce this weird distortion.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I like the improvements to the Playlist Manager!  Only problem is right now the Playlist Manager overlaps the columns in the main panel.

Edit: I guess I still don't get how the playlist manager is meant to be used.  I like the way it looks right now, but I would want to have it open while I browse the Music node so that I could quickly add tracks to playlists.  I think it would be awesome if it provided a way to use it to display a playlist alongside the main panel so you can quickly see what tracks are already in it.  But that would be a pretty radical change, I realize.
Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 06:31:04 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Unrelated proposal:  I think MB should save its layout proportions when it's maximized separately from when it's "restored".  I like to make the track details panel just the right size to show the artwork without a scrollbar, but I have to redo it every time I go to windowed mode (so I can check out the borders, take screenshots, whatever).  It seems like it should remember its correct proportions when maximized.  Obviously having it on a different size monitor would still muck it up, but that seems like it would happen far less often than maximize/restore.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
On a 4K screen, a 225x225 image is ridiculously small and defeat the whole point of a cover view.
the images are scaled by screen dpi, so a 4K screen would usually show them as 450x450

I like the improvements to the Playlist Manager!  Only problem is right now the Playlist Manager overlaps the columns in the main panel.

Edit: I guess I still don't get how the playlist manager is meant to be used.  I like the way it looks right now, but I would want to have it open while I browse the Music node so that I could quickly add tracks to playlists.  I think it would be awesome if it provided a way to use it to display a playlist alongside the main panel so you can quickly see what tracks are already in it.  But that would be a pretty radical change, I realize.
i assume you mean the main panel columns are adjusted to accomodate the playlist manager and it doesnt literally overlap the main panel fields.
The intention with the Playlist Manager is for users who have the left sidebar (and hence navigator hidden). Having the left sidebar hidden is the new default for new users.
When in that configuration there is no easy way to drag files from the library into a playlist. It really doesnt serve much purpose for anyone who has configured the left sidebar to stay open.
Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:20:37 AM by Steven

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
i assume you mean the main panel columns are adjusted to accomodate the playlist manager and it doesnt literally overlap the main panel fields.

No, I mean it literally overlays the main panel (even when the left sidebar is hidden). GIF: http://i.imgur.com/k6bmGpq.gif

The intention with the Playlist Manager is for users who have the left sidebar (and hence navigator hidden). Having the left sidebar hidden is the new default for new users.
When in that configuration there is no easy way to drag files from the library into a playlist. It really doesnt serve much purpose for anyone who has configured the left sidebar to stay open.

I get that it's meant for when the left sidebar is hidden, but what purpose does it serve if you can't work back and forth between your library and the playlists?

Oh, I may have just had a light bulb go on.  Is it intended to be used with multiple tabs somehow?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)