Author Topic: GUI changes for v3.0  (Read 1255003 times)

Steven

• Administrator
I get that it's meant for when the left sidebar is hidden, but what purpose does it serve if you can't work back and forth between your library and the playlists?

Oh, I may have just had a light bulb go on.  Is it intended to be used with multiple tabs somehow?
i see from your screenshot what you mean and i will need to make a change. To see how its intended to be used, collapse the left sidebar

Alumni

http://www.mediafire.com/download/yg2iu46j3binune/MusicBeeDemo.zip

unzip into the musicbee application folder and run MusicBee3.exe

- fixes for a couple of scrolling issues in the artwork layout, although i cant be sure it addresses the issue reported by darkred or the 2nd issue reported by AvikB
- fixes the "Show Albums" setting lost on restart in the Artwork layout
- fix for remembering the Artist grouping setting when switch from the Albums layout
- i will look at the remaining reported issues tomorrow night

I'm sorry to report the Artist grouping setting hasn't been fixed on my end.
It still defaults to 'artists' when switching from album covers view.

Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 01:03:48 PM by Alumni

Mr. Trev

A couple of quick questions.

I realise that this isn't officially even a beta yet, but I was wondering how come the scrolling and artwork refresh in album view is so slow? (sorry if its been asked and answered) Hopefully this is just something that'll be fixed in time

2nd. Since these changes seem to coincide with Windows 10, I was wondering if there will be a mobile version. I'm thinking about getting a DAC/AMP and feeding it from a smartphone. My biggest hesitation right now is the quality of existing players. If there was a mobile version of MB, I'd definitely consider a Windows phone.

Cheers

Steven

• Administrator
I realise that this isn't officially even a beta yet, but I was wondering how come the scrolling and artwork refresh in album view is so slow? (sorry if its been asked and answered) Hopefully this is just something that'll be fixed in time
every aspect of the artwork layout should be rendering much faster (for scrolling that is milliseconds vs. v2.5 but it is still noticable), so am very surprised if anyone says artwork refresh is slow. However there is a bug i need to fix where the artwork cache is not being updated with resized pictures when changing the picture scale size, and that would slow painting down a bit. So i suggest you resize the pictures using the next update after the bug is fixed.
Perhaps you meant the amount of height scrolled using the mouse wheel?
for the 2nd question, there wont be a mobile version of MB

Steven

• Administrator
It's always reproducible:
it occurs right after I press Ins(Scan Folder For New Files):
when the procedure completes, if I scroll down using mouse wheel, then it always occurs.
The corruption remains if I scroll up(=it doesn't get fixed) but no further corruption is created when scrolling up.
If it occurs once, then even if I close and restart MusicBee, then the corruption occurs even by simply scrolling down.
Does it only happen if there are new files added?
I guess i will need to create a debug version, so please confirm you are happy to run one/ send me the log file and i will create the debug version.
Perhaps you could also send me your settings file (help/ support/ view settings)

Also, I confirm AvikB's report about using the scrollbar to scroll.
are you saying you normally just use the mouse wheel and not dragging the scrollbar?

Steven

• Administrator
I'm curious about the performance while scanning folders for new files. V3 felt extremely slow compared to 2.5 in my tests, there's also an idle at the end of the scanning process. Tested with more than 70,000 files / 316 GB.
it should be the same, however on reviewing the code i can see one improvement that should make it faster than 2.5
The the pause at the end, do you have "calculate and write replaygain values for new files" enabled in Tags(2) preferences. That might cause some delay to the completion but would not lock up the GUI while its being done

Steven

• Administrator

- fixes for the above issues
- except the scrolling issue with the artwork for which i need someone having the gui paint corruption to run a debug version
- you may want to change your artwork size (and back again) using the picture scaler from the drop down menu if you use the artwork layout as there was a bug where the artwork cache is not being refreshed when picture sizes are changed
- @blackemd, i have put in error handling to suppress and log the left navigator paint error but could you send me the error from the error log

darkred

Does it only happen if there are new files added?
I guess i will need to create a debug version, so please confirm you are happy to run one/ send me the log file and i will create the debug version.
Perhaps you could also send me your settings file (help/ support/ view settings)
Well, as I was trying yesterday to identify a reproducible scenario to provide you (the issue hadn't occurred at that time),
I decided to press press Ins(Scan Folder For New Files).
After the procedure finished, and I scrolled down the file (with the mousewheel, as always)
the issue occurred,
and then, even after closing and reopening MB3, whenever I scrolled the list with mousewheel the corruption would always occur.
I just sent you my log and settings (gladly!).

are you saying you normally just use the mouse wheel and not dragging the scrollbar?
Yes, I normally just use the mousewheel. I almost never drag the scrollbar.

Alumni

- fixes for the above issues
- except the scrolling issue with the artwork for which i need someone having the gui paint corruption to run a debug version
- you may want to change your artwork size (and back again) using the picture scaler from the drop down menu if you use the artwork layout as there was a bug where the artwork cache is not being refreshed when picture sizes are changed
- @blackemd, i have put in error handling to suppress and log the left navigator paint error but could you send me the error from the error log

Thanks Steven, I can confirm that fixed the issues I reported earlier.

Steven

• Administrator
I just sent you my log and settings (gladly!).
ok, thanks. I can reproduce and know what the issue is but wont fix it until tomorrow (removing the now playing bar should fix it in the interim)

Steven

• Administrator

this has the fix for the remaining scrolling panel image corruption. If anyone else is still finding that scroll actions corrupt the panel display then please let me know

darkred

this has the fix for the remaining scrolling panel image corruption. If anyone else is still finding that scroll actions corrupt the panel display then please let me know
I confirm the issue is fixed. Thank you

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm not sure if today's update caused this problem or if it has existed for a while undiscovered.   I rarely use the scrollbar up/down arrows, but did today and in Artwork view, the scroll is painfully slow.  It's fine when dragging the "scroller" and it's ok when using the mouse wheel.  The arrows are fine when in Track Details view and Albums and Tracks view.  Artwork view seems to be the only issue.
Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 01:51:07 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Mr. Trev

Most of my skins don't have the scrollbar arrows, but I tried one that did and it seemed to be fine.

I have very slow scrolling when I use my touchpad though. Been like that with previous versions. Not sure if it has to do with my touchpad settings, but the scrolling is fast in track detail and album/tracks views. Like you my mouse wheel is normal.

Alumni

A possible bug - with 'show album contents when double clicking an album' enabled, pressing the back button doesn't navigate to your previous position in the main panel, but rather jumps to the very top of the library contents.