Author Topic: New to MusicBee. Have some questions.  (Read 12288 times)

BRAINS

I am also having a problem with album art.  For some reason a few of my albums have 2 different album covers.  My high quality art seems to be the second art when looking in the properties.  In Foobar2000 however, it is the main cover art.  What is the issue here?

Do you need the second cover art? If not, just delete it. There's also the "Primary Picture" checkbox you can use if you want to keep both.

Also why when you rate an album it changes the date modified?  It doesn't do this in Foobar2000 or iTunes for that matter.

Pass on why Foobar2000 or iTunes don't, but MB explicitly chooses to change date modified every time you modify a tag, and Rating counts as a tag.
I was just curious as to why Foobar imbed the new cover art correctly but MusicBee had kept the old copy.

I don't want playcount or ratings changing the date modified.  The date gives me a good idea when I fixed the tags of file or updated the cover art.  I change ratings for albums often so I don't want that affecting the date.

Also why when you rate an album it changes the date modified?  It doesn't do this in Foobar2000 or iTunes for that matter.

Pass on why Foobar2000 or iTunes don't, but MB explicitly chooses to change date modified every time you modify a tag, and Rating counts as a tag.

In Preferences > Tags (1), there's an option to not update the file modification time when saving tags.
Thank you Zak I noticed this today when going over the preferences again.

Interestingly enough, with this checked, changing the album art does not change the date modified.  Rating an album however, still does change the date, in MusicBee anyway.

I confirmed this with Foobar2000 and Windows Explorer.  Changing art had no effect on date modified.  Changing the rating had no effect in Foobar2000 or Windows Explorer, but in MusicBee it changed the date to 2/22/2015 11:15pm when rating a single song 5 stars.

Perhaps this is a bug in MusicBee?

Also why when you rate an album it changes the date modified?  It doesn't do this in Foobar2000 or iTunes for that matter.

I'm not using rating, but I can replicate this issue even when using right-click menu in artwork view or album & tracks view. Only album rating updates modification date while track rating doesn't. Not sure this is intended or an oversight.
Hello redwing.  As you can read above, rating a single track did affect the date modified.

redwing

rating a single track did affect the date modified.

It depends on whether you save ratings to the files and how you rate. If you have set not to save ratings to the files and rate with right-click menu, then it won't update modification date for changing track rating.

Zak

• Global Moderator
Saving ratings to a file has its own preference setting, so it's possible there's a bug where the timestamp setting isn't respected for some combination of the two checkboxes.
Bee excellent to each other...

BRAINS

rating a single track did affect the date modified.

It depends on whether you save ratings to the files and how you rate. If you have set not to save ratings to the files and rate with right-click menu, then it won't update modification date for changing track rating.
Saving ratings to a file has its own preference setting, so it's possible there's a bug where the timestamp setting isn't respected for some combination of the two checkboxes.
Yes I see that - 'store ratings in the music file.'  I unchecked that and it seems to be good.  That must be a bug though because if you have 'don't update file modification time' rating changes shouldn't matter.

I found another strange bug that may be related disabling date modifications.

When changing something like the album title or the genre of an album, it correctly updates in Windows Explorer and MusicBee.  However when you go in Foobar2000 its not changed until you PLAY the song.

For example, say the genre was Rock when it was suppose to be Pop.  When you play the song in Foobar2000, it changes to 'Pop', but when the song ends or you stop it, it goes back to Rock.

Is this a tag bug or something to do with the disabling date modifications?

redwing

Interesting. Perhaps foobar updates database based on file modification date though it has to scan file while playing.

BRAINS

Interesting. Perhaps foobar updates database based on file modification date though it has to scan file while playing.
Is there a way I can check this?

I mean the album art updates fine, if I do it through MusicBee.  The rest of the tags don't change though.

redwing

How to check? See if foobar's database gets updated if the file has a newer modification date.

BRAINS

How to check? See if foobar's database gets updated if the file has a newer modification date.
Where can I see this?

I checked the Foobar preferences but did not find it.  Under 'Media Library' it is scanning for files on startup and monitoring the library for changes while running.  I don't see anything about modification dates.

redwing

What option are you talking about?
I'm just guessing how foobar might work not to update database when file's modification date didn't change.
If that's the case and if you want foobar updates database in real time, then probably you will need to untick the MB's modification date option.

BRAINS

It just seems strange that the album art updates fine in Foobar, even with file modification date disabled.  Windows Explorer updates, which is where the files are located on the computer, so I don't see why Foobar doesn't recognize that.

It also updates properly in iTunes even though I don't use that as a media player anymore.  I just right click and open with iTunes in Windows Explorer and all the tags are correct.

redwing

Windows explorer is not a music app but a file manager, so it should rescan files every time. But music apps don't have to rescan library files all the time unless some changes were made onto a file (hence modification date change). iTunes does not update database in real time, even with a modification date change. If you try to play the track, then it will say it can't locate the track.
With foobar, if you right click and open properties dialog, it will show correct values. But that does not update its database.

BRAINS

Well I can open the file in iTunes and all the tags are correct.  I don't use it as a media player so your probably right when saying it doesn't update in real time.

Foobar however is not showing the correct values when looking at a song in properties.

Maybe I should ask the guys on Foobar forum how it updates its database?

redwing

As I said, foobar's properties dialog is not the same as its database. It's more like MB's tag inspector. I don't understand how the properties dialog can't show updated values. Feel free to ask around in other forums.