Author Topic: Unwanted video files being scanned by MusicBee  (Read 10731 times)

Zak

• Global Moderator
I have some music videos etc. mixed in with my music but I don't want them to show up in MusicBee.
Every time I rescan for new music these video clips keep reappearing in my Inbox. "Include videos" is definitely unchecked.

It may not be related, but this started happening about the time the change was made to improve the real-time monitoring of tags edited in external programs.

-edit-
Should have said currently running 2.5.5498
Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 01:57:02 PM by Zak
Bee excellent to each other...

Steven

• Administrator
what extension are they and do you have continuous monitoring enabled

Steven

• Administrator

Zak

• Global Moderator
what extension are they and do you have continuous monitoring enabled
They were MP4, FLV, AVI and MPG.
Continuous monitoring is enabled. Actually, that may have been the culprit because doing a manual rescan now doesn't show them.

this should fix the issue - unzip and replace the existing musicbee files:

Awesome. Thanks for the fast response. I'll give the new version a go.  :)

On a possibly-related note, I'm incrementally moving my library to a new drive and now when I do a manual rescan it seems to take a lot longer than it used to. A lot of that time is after the counter in the status shows it's scanned all of the tracks on my drive. Then I get prompted to remove "missing" tracks from my library. However, these aren't tracks in my library (because I haven't moved them over yet) but they are referenced in playlists. I also only just realised if I say "Yes" it removes them from the playlist too, which was a little worrying.

Is this expected? I always thought tracks in the Library and the playlists were kept separate for things like scanning. There are tracks missing but it's only temporary so I'd rather MusicBee didn't spend any time checking the playlists at all. Again, I definitely have "Include playlists" unchecked - and I don't think that applies to MusicBee's own playlist folder anyway.
Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 02:25:20 PM by Zak

Steven

• Administrator
answering Yes does remove dead links from playlists which i expect is the extra time for the manual rescan.
why dont you drag/drop the files from windows explorer into the library or just move them using musicbee

Steven

• Administrator
I have checked the behavior of media monkey to make sure i am not doing something different to other organisers.
It also removes files from playlists when a dead link is removed from the library

Zak

• Global Moderator
answering Yes does remove dead links from playlists which i expect is the extra time for the manual rescan.
I'll just move the playlists somewhere else until the tracks are all back in the library and see how that goes.

why dont you drag/drop the files from windows explorer into the library or just move them using musicbee
Because I'm migrating a lot of tracks at the same time I'm usually adding hundreds of tracks at a time from all over the place so manual rescan is still the easiest way. Also, I only need to do it if the automatic monitoring doesn't pick them up.

I have checked the behavior of media monkey to make sure i am not doing something different to other organisers.
It also removes files from playlists when a dead link is removed from the library
It wasn't something I'd noticed before so just thought I'd check it was the intended and expected behaviour.

Finally, it's because MusicBee does so many things different to other organisers that makes it so much better!  :P

redwing

Just did a test. Added a library track to a blank playlist, then moved the file to another monitored folder. What happened is the file was immediately removed from the library and then picked up into inbox, but it's gone from the playlist too without asking anything. I sent the file back to library, but of course the playlist remained empty.

It's great playlists auto-updates links whenever files' URLs change. But removing dead links without asking like the above case is certainly going against my expectation. If I would find out this much later, I wouldn't be able to figure out why some tracks are gone from the playlist without my knowledge.

Steven

• Administrator
yes that is the expected behavior because as stated in the notes windows messages files moving between folders as a delete from the old folder and then separately a create in the new folder. Its best not to organise files outside of MB - I think thats just common sense but still there will be users who will do this.
MB doesnt prompt when detected via the continuous monitor because its annoying having to switch screens and you could be deleting files one by one, which would accumulate the prompts one by one in MB. Any file links removed via folder monitoring is logged in the error log although currently the removal from a playlist is not logged but could be added for this version.
Given I wont change the non-prompting behaviour for deletions detected by the continous monitor, the only compromise i would be willing to make in this version is not remove files from playlists if a deletion message and creation message are received within a small time gap. I think that should be reliable enough unless the user is using another application to perform the re-organisation and in the worst case for that approach, if it really was a deletion and the other message a creation of some other file then the playlist is just left with a dead link.

edit:
i have disabled the playlist dead link removal for the continuous monitor at least in v2.5
Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 09:41:58 PM by Steven

Zak

• Global Moderator
It's great playlists auto-updates links whenever files' URLs change. But removing dead links without asking like the above case is certainly going against my expectation. If I would find out this much later, I wouldn't be able to figure out why some tracks are gone from the playlist without my knowledge.
I have to agree with this. I can understand why it might be nice for MusicBee to clean up as much as possible, but as a user I don't want a program doing "destructive" things - as in removing something - without my consent. As redwing said, unless you're aware of it ahead of time and prepare for it, there's no way to know which tracks were removed until it's too late. I'd rather have a playlist with 50 exclamation marks in it than half a playlist.

To be clear, I'm only talking about playlists. Removing entries for missing tracks from the library does make sense.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yeah, what Zak said.  I have a few painstakingly constructed playlists that I've had to put back together multiple times over the years.  Some I've never been able to recover because the track list was lost.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
as mentioned, the latest version no longer removes deleted files from playlists via the continuous monitor.
However when prompted for dead link removal, it does via that dialog

redwing

as mentioned, the latest version no longer removes deleted files from playlists via the continuous monitor.

Verified.

However when prompted for dead link removal, it does via that dialog

How about asking that so that the user could decide it? If you think that's unnecessary, then I think it would be better not to remove dead links from playlists by default.

I did another test to know what MB does with dead links in playlists when importing new playlists. Yes, it clears up all dead links even when importing new playlists. Is it really necessary? The user could be in the middle of building a new library just as Zak's case. Currently playlists are allowed to contain tracks that belong neither to library nor to inbox. For instance, you can add tracks from un-monitored folders directly to playlists. In that case, even rescanning those files won't add them to library or inbox. Likewise, dead links should be allowed to reside in playlists because they are unrecoverable once removed. The user could, any time, run "Remove dead links" command from the playlist context menu.

Steven

• Administrator
playlists are validated when imported and its been like that since day 1. However, I agree it should leave the link in so I will change that